August 25, 2019, 07:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag     flag     flag     flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jake  (Read 2148 times)
KatMoon
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »

Jake was hand picked by little Daisy. We had been looking for a playmate for a couple of weeks but nothing felt right. We had one dog come over to see how it would go, Daisy didn't like her; went to adoption events: nothing clicked. Then I saw this charming little dog on a rescue website and made arrangements to have Houdini, his name at the time, come over for a 'playdate' - at least that's how I sold it to DH.

He wasn't home that day, so it was just me and the Daisy. They met outside the house (no leash manners on either side) and seemed to be quite fond of each other; but Daisy had never accepted any other dog inside the house/back yard before so I was a little wary. Houdini came in through the side gate and they played, and played and played. In the end, they squeezed into one garden chair to snuggle up just as DH walked back into the house. Meanwhile, I was filling out the adoption paperwork, I figured that he wouldn't kill me in front of an eye witness. Though I do have to say that he wasn't opposed to getting another dog, he never stopped me from going and looking for one, he just didn't participate in the search - he thought that the circumstances weren't right. In any case, something about Jake reminded him of his childhood dog, he overheard the rescue lady telling me that our fence wasn't high enough in a couple of spots, went to get his tools and fixed the fence with her still being there.

I couldn't get the rest of the day off, so I proceeded to go to work, calling home every hour. Only good news to report, bitchums still liked him and DH said that he (Jake) wasn't going to go anywhere. We both decided to re-name him, the name Jake sounded right to me so I went home that night to suggest that name - only to find Jake being already re-named by DH: Jake.

Long story short: Jake is awesome. Very shy in the beginning, this really, really sad and insecure look in his eyes, following us from room to room - and always that look, as if he were saying "I'm a good boy, could I please stay with you guys?". The most heartbreaking thing I seen so far, so eager to please - as nice at it is to have a really well behaved dog around, he always looked like he was afraid of losing his home. He lost 'the look' sometime earlier this year and now just 'beaves" for the fun of it.
His first obedience classes were a nightmare, I had Daisy and DH was working with Jake - way, waaaaaaaaay away from all the other dogs because he was terrified of being approached by them. He had the most horrible runs whenever we encountered another dog and would hide behind us or Daisy - after 6 classes, he was able to be in the circle with the others, only focussing on DH and he was the 'chosen one' to perform a perfect recall on a long leash in front of the entire class. We were so proud of him.

He now loves other dogs, loves to play and wrestle, he still transforms into a ridgeback upon approach but his tail is wagging at the same time - always happy-go-lucky. The most sensible being in this household (myself included) - he's always the first to walk up to whoever is having a bad day, jumping onto our laps to just snuggle up or lick away until he senses that everybody is ok now. Jakeman rocks.

a) his petfinder picture
b) his first night at home
c) hiding in his bed
d) charming little man
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 08:17:53 PM by Kim H » Logged
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:46:40 PM »

Aww, great story.  What great buddies they are!  Makes me yearn for the day when I can get Toby a best friend.

ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 01:02:34 PM »

Great Story KAt. You can tell he is so loved jsut from the story you wrote! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to meet Jake!!!!! He looks a lot like my friends dog diesel(part rottie/part dane/part boxer)!

Trisha
Staff Writer

Hey, watcha' doin'?

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 01:03:50 PM »

Oh, I never knew Jake's story. It's a great one! I can't wait to meet him and Daisy on Saturday.  woohoo woohoo

All you other DA'ers should be green with envy.  wink2
Mary [deryni]
Global Moderator

Rikku - aka Funk Bird

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 01:07:47 PM »

What a great story.  Jake is one lucky boy!
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »

what a great story!!  How lucky jake and your whole family is to have found each other.

Thanks Trisha for rubbing the outing in on the rest of us that can't be there . rotfl

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 02:51:46 PM »

Oooh, I can't wait to see brindle Daisy too!!!! I'm sure she's much more beautiful in person!  I'll let you all know wink2

Andrea G.
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 02:58:38 PM »

What a beautiful story!  Jake seems like such a sweet, sweet boy.  I'm glad he's lost that look--my two boys have had that too, and it's so neat when they realize it's forever this time. 

And the pictures!  So cute.  I really love the one of Jake and Daisy snuggled up together.  Heart

Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come. - Carl Sandburg
KatMoon
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 05:02:33 PM »

Thank you ... usually Daisy is the one who gets all the attention because of the coat and all, Jakeman here deserves his 15 minutes, too. My little man.
Andrew
If this is torture, chain me to the wall!
Dog Addict!

No One Mourns The Wicked

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 05:57:55 PM »

Always liked Jake and Daisy.  Kim, Dee Dee doesn't play with Toby?

``Everyone deserve's a chance to fly.''-The Wizard of Oz

``And Nobody , in all of Oz, No Wizard that there is or was, is ever gonna bring me down."-Elphaba
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster