November 21, 2018, 12:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jessie needs a Home  (Read 1362 times)
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« on: June 16, 2005, 05:15:45 PM »

A good friend of mine, Rebecca has been battling cancer for about the 4th or 5th time in her life.  It started out in her breast many years ago.  She was in remission for several years.  Then a couple of years ago, it came back in her bones.  She underwent treatment and therapy and was in remission for a few months when it came back yet again as a small spot in her lungs.  Now, it has spread to her brain.

The doctors are still hopeful, but Doctors have to stay upbeat, right?  Anyway, Rebecca who was very active in the shelter while I was there began the spay/neuter campain in Elmore County.  She was able to get grants written for the shelter to help poor people spay and neuter their pets.

The shelter became involved in a case of animal hoarding and cruelty  in the late 90s.  It was reopened in 2001.  The same woman had too many animals again, this time, only dogs.  This time Rebecca took it upon herself to help the dogs.  Several had severe cases of demodex and scabies.  Those had to be let go.  Rebecca held them as they were euthanized.  Others were frightened, but adoptable.  Rebecca found someone to help find them homes.  Some were aggressive, and Rebecca had to decide their fate as well.  One litter of half grown Dutch Shepherd mixes touched her heart.  There were six, but 4 of those were very unpredicable.  We took on two of them.  Rebecca, Shelia, and I spent time with them, named them, and loved them.  The then shelter director didn't like these dogs becasue they didn't like her, so she ordered them to leave or be destroyed.  Rebecca, Shelia, and I drove them to a rescue in Georgia.

The woman was allowed to keep some of the dogs under the understanding she would be watched and the dogs would legally belong to Rebecca and Shelia.  If we didn't think she was caring for the dogs properly, they would be taken.  While she was in jail for over a year, Rebecca, Shelia, and I took turns taking care of the dogs at the woman's house.  They were not in an ideal situation, but they were not adoptable, and they were happy considering their situation.  They would be destroyed if they couldn't stay there.  Shelia and I both had thoughts of giving up.  Feeding and watering and cleaning the pens of these dogs was not fun, they were down in the woods, and it was no fun.  Rebecca never complained, she was the reason we stuck with it.

Rebecca took on one girl to foster, Jessie.  She knew she would end up keeping Jessie because Jessie was so undersocialized.  She would need a special person to love her and care for her.  That person was Rebecca.  There was only one problem, Jessie, and Rebecca's other female dog, Silver have never been the best of friends.  Two alpha females at each others throats.  Rebecca could deal with it until she got sick again.  Now, she is tired and weak to deal with it.  She has shed many tears over this becasue she knows Jessie will not be an easy dog to place.  If it comes down to it, Rebecca will have to have Jessie euthanized.

Shelia and I are supposed to pick Jessie up sometime this week.  She will stay with Shelia for the time being.  Jessie is very undersocialized and it takes a while to gain her trust.  She is very leary of men as well.  She is not housebroken because at the hoarder's, she lived in a pen with three or four other females and had to go where she had to go.  Because of her past, she should not go to a home with children.  No cats,and no other alpha females. 

Jessie is spayed, up to date on shots, and heatworm prevention.  Jessie needs an extra special home with patience, love, and understanding. 

* Jessie!!!.jpg (41.29 KB, 672x460 - viewed 121 times.)

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 05:33:19 PM »

Oh Em I wish I could help! I'll pray she finds a home though! It's the best I can do!  huugg For your friend!!! I hope she can kick it again!

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 05:42:23 PM »

Oy, not for me right now, but this is the kind of dog I like to help.

These are the situations where, if it comes to it, it will be okay to let Jessie go. It's hard to live with those demons.

Prayers and good thoughts for Jessie and Rebecca, and I'll keep my eyes open for a sanctuary for Jessie.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LisaT
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »

Oh what a darling little face. I wish I had the solution. I'm hoping that perfect person comes along for her...

Best wishes for Rebecca and Jessie.

PEACE FOR THE ANIMALS http://www.meat.org/
Mary [deryni]
Global Moderator

Rikku - aka Funk Bird

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 05:51:10 PM »

That is heartbreaking.

I hope she finds a good and loving home.

Both Rebecca and Jessie will be in my thoughts.
Nancy*
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 04:11:21 AM »

I hope the dog finds a good home!Those dogs break my heart.I wish i could help them all! crying

A big hug from my guys,
Beertje & Rickie

Give a dog a chance, help dogs from a shelter!
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:58:03 AM »

OH, Emily  group hug  This story has me in tears.  Poor Rebecca - what she's faced, continues to be faced with, and God bless her heart for taking care of this girl despite her own situation. 

I do wish there was something I could do to help.  I'll keep you, Rebecca and Jessie in my prayers - good health for Rebecca, a loving home capable of giving Jessie what she needs, and strength for you, Emily - you are wonderful. 

Kari (neekosmyboi)
Dog Addict!

Neeko "THE DOG"

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 06:32:55 PM »

crying That is such a sad story. I hope that Jessie finds a loving home. And I am praying for Rebecca...I hope she can overcome that again!  huugg  I'm praying for both of them.
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 09:25:06 PM »

We got Jessie today, it went better than I thought it would.  Once Rebecca got her in the crate and we got her in the car, she stopped barking and all.  She is very uncertain, but did not show any aggression.

Today was the first time I've seen Becca in a while.  Last time I saw her, she had her wig on, but this time, she didn't.  Said it was too hot for hair, I'm so glad she's still got good spirits about her, she is a strong, strong woman.  She easily gets short of breath, though.  It really saddens me to see her like this.  Please do keep her in your prayers, she does need them.

Hopefully Jessie will be ok and we can find her a great home.  If not, Rebecca understands and we may have to send her to the bridge. 

Nancy*
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 07:00:47 AM »

I'm still hoping for Jessie!! rubhead hug

A big hug from my guys,
Beertje & Rickie

Give a dog a chance, help dogs from a shelter!
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 09:54:41 AM »

Emily - how are things going with Jessie?  How about Rebecca?  I will keep you all in my prayers.

Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 09:24:51 PM »

Thanks, ya'll.  Jesse is doing much better than we thought she would.  She does bark and stuff at people, still, but she doesn't try to hide, she will come up and sniff you and doesn't act terrified.  So that is a good sign.  Haven't had any interests, though.

Rebecca is doing well considering.  She tires so easily, it is so sad to see her when she used to be so vibrant.  I sure hope she can kick this cancer's arse again.

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 07:31:02 AM »

Rebecca is doing well considering.  She tires so easily, it is so sad to see her when she used to be so vibrant.  I sure hope she can kick this cancer's arse again.

It's so hard to watch someone go through this and feeling so helpless.  I'm sorry Emily - my heart goes out to you and especially to Rebecca - I do hope she can kick this cancer's arse again, for good.

I am happy to her things aren't so bad with Jessie - hopefully with some time she will get better and better and you'll find the right home for her. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster