October 19, 2019, 08:08:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ghost     danceskel       dancing pumpkins     danceskel     ghost

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another loss, Willy is gone  (Read 1149 times)
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« on: March 14, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »

We knew when we received Willy's diagnosis last summer that we'd have limited time with him.  What I wasn't expecting, though, was to lose him this passed weekend.  He had been doing relatively well.  He was eating well and active.  He developed (overnight) a hard swelling on his face about two weeks ago.  I took him to the vet, and she was only able to aspirate blood out of it, so it wasn't an abscess.  We had hoped it was a hematoma, but I think we both knew it was related to his hemangiosarcoma.  She put him on antibiotics just in case and we were going to keep an eye on it.  He finished the antibiotics, and nothing really changed, but he seemed to feel ok. 

Then, Saturday, when I was preparing the dogs' food, I noticed he wasn't his bouncy, barky self when it came to eating.  In fact, he was just sitting there in the fenced yard, and seemed like he had trouble getting up.  I stepped back inside for a second and was going to check on him, but he had made it to the gate.  I hoped it was just him being an old guy and having arthritis.  He ate really well, but as he was eating, I noticed his hind leg knuckling, and it was quite a bit larger than the other.  I let him finish eating, and put a leash on him and he had a lot of trouble controlling his hind end, he kept knuckling and stumbling.  I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but the swollen leg was on the same side of his body as the lump on his face.  His gums were also pretty pale.

We loaded him up and took him to the clinic with intentions of treatment, but on the way there, his eyes told us he was tired.  He didn't have much fight in him, and he was ready.  The vet did do a quick exam, and she couldn't find a pulse in that leg.  His feet were cold, and his color was worse.  We let him go peacefully.  We'll miss him, he was really an awesome little dog.  Go find Waylon, Willy.  Happy Trails to you both!

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:46 PM »

crying I'm really sorry, Emily  group hug
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 05:16:44 AM »

I am so very sorry for your loss.  Two in such a short time.  My heart goes out to you.... group hug

I would love to hear how you are doing.  We have a thread on here called This and That which is about everything , not only dogs. We usually catch up on our lives there.  It's a huge long thread by now.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:52:44 PM »

group hug big hug     Doc..

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »

Oh, Emily. I'm very sorry you had to say bye to Willy. So soon after Choo Choo as well. Makes it doubly hard.  group hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 12:19:00 PM »

I'm so sorry Emily.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster