July 09, 2020, 02:44:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag       flag       goodmorning       flag       flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To supplement or not to supplement?  (Read 1332 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: May 14, 2013, 01:54:44 AM »

That is the question.

After trying everything on the dry and canned spectrum during puppyhood, I finally found a local farmer who sells me his meat and bone scraps cheaply and am feeding Erie prey model raw. He's been eating at least partially raw since he was four months old, so he can make even thick, chunky bone disappear into nothingness given a few hours.

He has has a fairly delicate constitution (he pretty much can't eat kibble without having constant diarrhea, he can eat some canned, but he does great on raw) and so I am carefully introducing some more organ meats and fish into his diet (both have caused problems in the past, but that was also when he was eating part raw part kibble), but his coat looks a little lackluster lately. I'm wondering if it might be helpful, along with the fish and organ meats, to toss in some Nupro or SeaMeal into his bowl on top to add some vitamins and aid digestion? What would you do?

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

What kind of fish? I used little canned, boneless mackerals. For me using supplements is a given. You will never be able to fully re-create a wild diet so supplements are needed. Daily I use Udo's Choice Pet Essentials for dogs, a quality multi-vitamin, and a glandular and organ concentrate called Pets GO. I purchase it at Pawhealer.com. Also, vitamins C and E with spirulina tablets for micronutrients. Occasionally I give some low dose cod liver oil by Twin Lab, and a B complex, as well as ubiquinol and selenium.

So yes, I think supplements are necessary.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »

Well, since we're both on the "what's on sale" diet, I've been using what I can get cheaply here. Last night he had tilapia and sardines in water with yogurt and some canned veggies last night. Usually, he eats various parts of cow or horse sans any of the other stuff, but I thought I would mix it up and see how he takes to the occasional meal including fish.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

If you're feeding mackeral or salmon you won't need to supplement with an EFA very often. Maybe once per week. Since your on a student's budget, I would recommend a good multi vitamin minimum. Keep rotating your protein sources and don't forget to offer some organ meats occasionally during the week.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
jona
Barks a Lot!

http://www.facebook.com/b
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »

Can i also suggest a tablespoon of yoghurt. I have always given my dogs a tablespoon of yoghurt mixed in their raw diet along with boneless Mackerel and they have always come out on top. Even with one shep who has sever allergies. But i agree supplements like we need them they do to!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster