October 19, 2019, 07:27:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ghost     danceskel       dancing pumpkins     danceskel     ghost

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sid has gone to the Bridge  (Read 1799 times)
megs
Dog Addict!

« on: May 22, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »

Yesterday evening, Sid bit Nicholas and we had to put him to sleep.  I didn't see it happen but from what Nicholas said, it was unprovoked.  He was petting Sid and saw a piece of grass on Sid's face.  When he went to get the grass off his face, Sid attacked N's upper arm.  When I went upstairs to help N, Sid was at the top of the stairs growling at me and I couldn't get past him.
It took a minute to get him calmed down to where I could get to N.  We had to take him to Urgent Care to get looked at as there are many punctures.  He said Sid was shaking his arm.
After we got N taken care of, we took Sid to the emergency vet to be PTS.  What a fiasco.  They almost refused to see him because he is a biter.  They let me put a muzzle on him and then they sedated him but it took much longer than it should have because they had to call the office manager at home for permission and they didn't want me to try to muzzle him if I wasn't 100% sure I could do it without getting hurt. 
Nicholas didn't want him to be PTS.  We stayed with him during the process and even though he was heavily sedated, we weren't allowed to take the muzzle off of him.  When we were leaving, Nicholas apologized to Sid for doing anything that might have made him bite.
I think I always knew that he was capable of this, I just didn't want to believe it.
I miss him so much, he was very special to me.  He was my partner in my weight loss journey and my main motivation to go walking because he got such joy from it.
It will be a long time before we have another dog.

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

I'm so sorry Megs. You did what you had to do. I hope Nicholas will not blame himself.  group hug
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »

A lot of life lessons in this story. All of you are in my thoughts.  group hug

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »

Megs, how tragic. I hope Nicholas is feeling better about things. Hopefully everyone will find some peace about this.  group hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »

Oh Megs, I am so very sorry. You made the right decision for everyone's sake. Sid was sick and you did everything you could to help him. I know it doesn't help the pain, but he's at peace now. Prayers that Nicholas will have a quick recovery both physically and emotionally.

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Nicholas is a very practical/black and white kid.  I asked him yesterday if he's ok, if he's scared of big dogs now.  He said, "Nah, probably just Central Asian Shepherds."

He is milking his wounds for everything they are worth.  He got a goodie bag full of treats from one of my friends and my sister is sending him video games in the mail.  He has been punished from his phone for a couple of weeks and he thought he was going to get it back early because this happened.  Gotta love him.

I have so many emotions about this and its going to take a lot of time to get over.

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »

Megs, I am so sorry!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »

group hug big hug     Doc..

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:04 AM »

So very very sorry.
 angel

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
pyrennial
Dog Addict!

Pandora, Sept 19 2001-Feb 11, 2012

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »

oh Megs - I am so sorry to learn of this.

please know you are in my thoughts.   crying

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

I miss you both.  RIP my beloved Pandora & darling Mason.
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »

I think when the time comes, we will get another Pyr.

-Henry Rollins
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster