June 18, 2019, 11:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marcus is still just a little bitty puppy  (Read 464 times)
pyrennial
Dog Addict!

Pandora, Sept 19 2001-Feb 11, 2012

« on: December 04, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »

Marcus is... 16 months now.  I think he's full size and he seems SO TINY! 

He's same height as Daisy but has tiny little feet and features.  He just feels small.  He's 80 lbs. 

He swims once a week - he still hates it.  His muscles are strong - we do our exercises every day.  He's started to lift his leg to pee and Jumpa!  is his new favourite thing to do.   He usually saves that for periods of extreme happiness - want to go to the dog park? Any other dog and I would put a quick stop to that! as bad behaviour but with Marcus we encourage it.  It is so bizarre.  He sleeps a lot.   It seems a lot more than a normal puppy but not a lot if he was a fully mature Pyrenees.  Maybe I'm just imagining things.  He is so different from Pandora.  Not at all brave or curious or mischievous.  Well behaved although he does still pull on the leash.  On a walk he is more interested in what he senses with his nose rather than his sight.  He's shy with people, which does frighten me a little.  He always backs away from strangers, but he loves other dogs.  He learns new tricks fairly well which makes me wonder how much Pyrenees he actually is - no Pyr I know would ever agree to do this many tricks.  The biggest obstacle there is I just don't know how to teach tricks - I've never done more than sit and down, off & leave it - up to now my big accomplishment was teaching Pandora to give a kiss.   To suddenly have a dog that I'm teaching right and left circles, touch, balance on a rocker board, sit pretty, dance.  What else can we do?  btw - he's still pyr enough that fetch is met with a  what are you nuts a go get it yourself.  I'm trying for Jumpa on command but it seems to be a his choice thing.  and Kick - which is where I'm trying to get him to lift one of the rear legs.  also not going so well but getting there. 

I'm still working on raising funds for a local dog park.  We had a successful fundraiser dinner, Ran a calendar/photo contest and sold out of our first run of calendars - flogging the second batch now but there are still a lot left.  We're all hoping that construction on the dog park starts in the spring.  Everyone agrees that a dog park would be phenomenal but few people are willing to support it with $$ or time & energy.  I'm about to start knocking on doors of the people I know that have dogs soon to sell off my calendars.  Maybe I'll just print off a little advertisement and slip it into their front doors or something.  I'm also talking to someone tonight about her offer to host a Valentine's event for us. 

Here's a little pic of my grown up young man.........

* play Marcus 02.jpg (85.16 KB, 984x739 - viewed 49 times.)

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

I miss you both.  RIP my beloved Pandora & darling Mason.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »

Aw, he looks great and sounds like he is a very happy pup Smiley

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

He's gorgeous! Sounds like he is doing real well!
Good to hear from you!

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:39:50 AM »

He sounds and looks wonderful! heart

I taught Molly all kind of tricks also when she was young.  She loved learning new tricks and it kept her mind occupied. 

I taught Molly to jump through a hula hoop, say her prayers, weave through my legs, down, roll over, up, beg, she jumped over a board that i had put up in the backyard that was held up by chairs.  We played find it with treats...we still do that one.  She loves it of course.  Molly still remembers her tricks!  I know theres more that I'm forgetting.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »

He sounds like a wonderful little boy. He's beautiful too. If pyrs are like Cairns the females are very independent and stubborn and the males more affectionatee and trainable. Hopefully people with dogs will step up and support the dog park. They are great places for people and pets to socialize.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster