October 17, 2017, 08:20:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How great is a dog from rescue?  (Read 3573 times)
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:58:06 AM »

So Terri and I were sitting outside yesterday, having a fire.  And Suzie is patrolling her domain, watching for any squirrels that need her attention.

We started talking about how nicely, after all this time, she has grown to be so happy at home.

It took some time to get her to not jump the fence.  It took a lot of time to get her to come when called.  She does that most times now.

It just seems like she is glad to be here, and has learned the boundaries of having a home.  She has such cool habits and routines.  There is a process in the morning before she gets her breakfast.  she waits patiently, nonchalantly, calmly...until i get done with whatever i have to do and i pick up her bowl.  she follows me into the dining room, waits while i fill her bowl, and we walk back into the kitchen with her happily dancing her way to the spot where she eats.

in the afternoon/evening, Terri and Suzie have there play time.  If Terri doesn't start it right at the correct time, Suzie does her butt up in the air-bark-scoot-hey look at me routine.  Then they merrily chase each other around the house until Suzie does her giant leap from the floor to the end of the couch.  She gets applause and then its nap time.

We bought clickers to clicker train her.  I can now make the sound, just saying chicka-chicka-chicka, and she comes running-most of the time.  (sometimes there is a squirrel that just needs her complete attention)

there are a million more little things she does. 

At any rate, we were remembering how each of our dogs have had such a great personality, quirks and all.  Our lives have been so richly enhanced because we've taken the time to bring a lost dog to a forever home.

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »

She is quite the special girl..  luvsmile

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »

Dogs are amazing and wonderful creatures. Did anyone watch the Science of Dogs on Nat Geo last night? It was really good.

I think rescued pups know they have it good, finally, and with peace, patience, and love their wonderful little personalities come out. Y'all have given a good home to Suzie and been very loving and patient and she's returned the love. I love seeing pics of her leading the good life and enjoy the stories of her antics.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »

I'll have to watch for a replay of that show. I think we get that channel..

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »

Last night they had Secret Lives of Dogs. Another very good program for any dog addict.  Grin

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »

Yeah, Jasmine has it good, too!  Regular food, comfy places to sleep, a great place to walk, when we have time to get there and it isn't snowing really hard.  (if there hadn't been snow today, Sarah and I both had off and could have gone!)  We get to walk in the woods!

I'm glad you are enjoying Suzie and that Suzie knows she has a great life!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »

Rescue dogs ROCK!!  We all know that.  They know they've been rescued and repay you every day of their life with love. heart

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster