October 20, 2017, 06:24:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermath of the fireworks  (Read 4368 times)
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »

So, Jasmine has gotten through the fireworks' season pretty well unscathed.  For the most part she hasn't refused to go outside, so that's good.  We thought she had pretty much recovered from the 4th of July and then last weekend, there were some more fireworks.  Might have been from the ball diamond where the minor league team plays.  Since then, she has decided she's sleeping in the basement.  I have to make sure she gets outside somewhere between 7pm and 10pm, because once she's in the basement, she isn't coming up for anything. (unless it's a car ride.)  She sleeps in the basement, on her little bed, all by herself, in the dark.  It drives me crazy, because I would hate being in the basement, in the dark.  I feel bad that she's not up in the bedroom with us.  Usually by the time I wake up in the morning, she is back upstairs again, so as daylight approaches, she must feel that it's safe enough to be upstairs again.

I'm hoping that as the memory of the fireworks fades, this behavior will fade, too.  We have one more fireworks display coming up and then it should be done.  Lakeshore Weekend is the last weekend of July and there will be fireworks on Friday, July 26th.

When you ask her if she wants to come upstairs or go outside, she looks at you like you are crazy to suggest such a thing.  Today, I woke up at 6:30am and she was in the closet.  I tried to get her outside to go potty. She wasn't interested.  Finally, about 7:20, she wanted to go outside.  It had been about 12 hours, since she went potty. Her choice, not mine.  The only one stopping her from going potty, is her.  Goofy dog.  huh?

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »

Aww.. poor Jasmine! I hope she gets over this quick.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »

Anxiety in dogs can be very strong. Have you thought about taking her somewhere on the 26th so she won't have to go through fireworks going off? It might help her become her old self again.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

dawnk777
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »

That's a thought.  She seems a lot better now.  I had no idea she was going to turn around that quickly.  Almost as soon as I posted on here, the behavior got better. 

I really don't like being in a dark basement myself.  That's why I didn't like her down there all by herself.  I'm sure she was fine.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

dawnk777
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »

Tonight, I'm in the basement, but she is upstairs.  Earlier today, we were gone, and when we came home, she was in the basement.  She goes downstairs sometimes, if there is a fly in the house.  She doesn't like flies and the buzzy noise they make.  For some reason the flies don't accompany her to the basement.  Maybe it's too dark if no one is home. 

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »

Must be cooler in the basement? You had some storms today, didn't you? Maybe she is in her safe place there

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:44:47 AM »

Molly goes in the basement which isn't really a basement because it's finished but she goes down there because it's cooler.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

dawnk777
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »

Her "safe place" is in the basement. One more round of fireworks to happen tonight. Then I think we are done.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »

I hope she weathers the fireworks well.  big hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

dawnk777
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

She spent a few more nights in the basement, but I think she's better now.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »

Oh that's good. It's nice that her anxiety passes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster