September 22, 2018, 05:43:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: trky1           ghost            trky1

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Waiting List VS Shelter Dog  (Read 1808 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: April 25, 2013, 09:48:38 AM »

Since I lost my heart dog, Kiva, I have been very lonely for her and grieving quite a bit. But I think I have healed enough that I am ready to add another doggy to my home. I am on the waiting list for a Cairn puppy from a top breeder in our area. I am also on the list for a Norwich terrier too. Things are kind of crazy right now with Sammy coming on board and in May I am dog sitting for my niece while she goes on her honeymoon.  Then I have a crazy work schedule where I can't come home until my shift ends which is about 13 hours so getting a puppy would be an issue since I can't take lunch breaks. On top of that my heart is pulled towards adopting from rescue because I know there are little scrappy dogs out their that need homes.

I think I'm going to go batty.  bang your head Anyone want to join me?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:28:02 AM »

Good luck!

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:30 AM »

You know what I'm going to say...

Shelter dogs rock!!

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »

Have you asked any of your breeder contacts if they know of anyone retiring a dog? Some breeders keep their retirees as pets, but some don't, and usually they are placed in a pet home for a nominal fee. That's an option along with shelters for getting an adult dog with more bladder control and, perhaps, less immediate needs as far as potty training, puppyhood socialization, etc. I definitely think that a puppy sounds like a bad idea for you right now.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »

I'm drawn to a puppy because I can bond with and train them and socialize them the way I want. Kaden came with a lot of backage. He's not confident, social, brave, etc. Basically everything a Cairn is supposed to be he's not. The only came to Cairness he has is his hunting and prey drive. Kiva and I had a special bond we just had this wonderful almost spiritual connection and I credit that to having raised her from a puppy. BUT. Then I go on Pefinder and see little ragged moppets that need homes.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »

Not every shelter dog comes with baggage.  Molly didn't and the issues Ginger had were so little that they never affected anything.  She hated other dogs but was fine with people and kids and that was the most important to me.

Ginger was so thankful we saved her.  Molly is more like..what took you so long?  Grin

I doubt i'll ever get a puppy.  I like to adopt them when their anywhere from 9 mos to a year.  I just don't have the patience for a puppy i think , but who knows.

Layne..any dog that gets a home with you has just hit the lottery.  You do what you feel is right for you.  You actually will know when you see the dog that is meant to be yours.

I was looking for another collie/chow mix when i came across Mollys picture at the local shelter.  Something in her picture made me stop and go down to see her after 2 1/2 yrs of no dogs in the house.  She was NOTHING that i thought i was looking for.  Molly is a far reach from a collie/chow mix lol.   When i saw her picture i just felt a drawing towards her. 

Trust me...you'll know.... rubhead hug

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »

Look at these little biscuits

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25890201

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24888362

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25809962

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »

Take them all!

The second one sounds like she needs a lot of time to work with her. Do you have it?

#1 and #3 are adorable also. You're not looking in tx??

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »

Two are in my area and #3 is in Oklahoma which is not too far. They all sound great. The little puppy mill girl is skittish of her foster mom probably because the miller was a female. Mill dogs tend to be nervous around which ever sex the miller was. My carpet is shot (still haven't gotten around to replacing it after how many years now????) so potty accidents are no problem. Kaden still has them too.  Roll Eyes Which is why I want laminate flooring.  Grin 

If I had the room and money I would take them all. Now you know why I try to stay off Petfinder.  blush

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 06:36:05 AM »

Good luck Layne!  Whichever one you choose , their life will be changed forever!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »

They are all cuties!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 09:36:27 AM »

I haven't finalized any decisions being that I'm still sorting things out with what I want or should do. I believe I am ready for another pup but not sure if the timing is right.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »

#2 sounded like the right one for you to me. You just have such a kind heart and extra patience (at least from what I read) that she would thrive under your care. Being that you are gone longer hours wouldn't bother a dog as much since she's lacked for attention for so long but would have Kaden there like she is used to being around dogs, where as the others sound more needy for human attention. Regardless of what you decide, I know you'll put a lot of time and care into making the decision and as Jan said whatever dog ends up with you will have won the lottery Smiley

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 05:33:24 AM »

Any news Layne?  I signed on thinking maybe you've adopted 5 new pups since you can't choose!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »

Not yet. Been working long hours.  Tongue

jona
Barks a Lot!

http://www.facebook.com/b
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »

Kivalover i was like you a few months back and just let time bide it's time... in the end i got a puppy which would suit my old furballs better than bringing in a rescue but i also was going mad on thinking about what to do.
I saw you're getting your baby soon now so hopefully it will be all joy joy joy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster