July 09, 2020, 04:44:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag       flag       goodmorning       flag       flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clicker training...  (Read 1210 times)
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« on: October 11, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »

I am just learning about it, but I am finding it fascinating.  The dog learns they are doing right by treat and click and the part I really like is the dog finds the training fun.  From what I have learned thus far, the dog is treated with a click as soon as they even remotely do what you are asking them to do.  The click is followed by a treat.  With Kyrarara she has learned to sit both with hand signal and verbal, she is learning down and now she is learning to stay in a down or sit for up to 30 seconds, but we have not built up to that yet. 
For her target training, where she learns to touch with her nose or paw on command, as soon as her nose touches her target, even if it is a quick touch she is rewarded with a click and a treat.  As she gets the idea she does more touches with just a click or a YES, and less treats. 
She is also learning to smell a certain target and respond to it by our choice her paw.  This will teach her to alert.  Right now we are rubbing food on her target for the scent and rewarding every little sniff or paw she gives to it.  Click as soon as she does it and a treat to follow.
I am sure others on the forum are pretty familiar with it.  I am just learning, but I like how the dog responds to it and learns the behavior so quickly. woof
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »

We just started this with Suzie. So far she is responding very good! 
Just started yesterday with the dried chicken bits, and she has come every time I clicked!
Waahooo! Maybe this is what she needed.  funny dance
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

Amazing how this one learns.   We have a problem with a rabbit in the backyard, leaving his droppings.  So as soon as Suzie latches on to a scent on those little things....click...she comes right away.

She has such bad manners, but clicking seems to be making progress!

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »

What a good girl. It's an interesting solution to the poop problem.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:56:41 AM »

No clicker would keep Molly away from rabbit poop.  She thinks it's her hourderves .  I hate that she's attracted to it so much.  I keep filling in the bottom of our fence with bricks and things to help keep the rabbits out of our yard.

Good luck!!!

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster