August 25, 2019, 08:12:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag     flag     flag     flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sammy  (Read 5479 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: March 09, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

I am inheriting my grandmother's cockatiel, Sammy, next month. He has been living with my aunt since my grandmother passed away several years ago. My aunt is in poor health and can't keep all of her pets so the family is adopting them....except for her dog. She can't live without her little dog.

Sammy is coming up from Houston next month. I love birds and taking Sammy is a thrill. He talks! So, I am already looking into the best foods for him, what he can eat fresh food wise, and toys, and what type of new cage to get him, etc.  Grin Anyone familiar with cockatiels and know of any good bird forums I can visit if needed?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »

That will be fun! 

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »

Oh fun!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »

I have a friend that has a huge macaw that he has had to include a final behest [?] to feed him.   Some live to be 75 years old..U think a dog is a huge commitment .. ?.. he is appointed a caretaker ,just in case..  Doc

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »

I spent the day combing the Petsmart, Petco, and some feed stores for bird food and accessories. Really like the foods at the feed store.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

My aunt and uncle are bringing Sammy up from Houston in a few weeks. I can't wait. Have decided on Dr. Harvey's cockatiel food along with fresh veggies, fruits, and "bird bread." Looks like I will be baking along with grinding.  Grin

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »

A FEW WEEKS??? why so long?

Sorry, I'm impatient..  blush

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:13:40 AM »

This is exciting!  This is going to bring a whole new meaning of pet ownership into your  household.  I have a feeling you're going to be telling us all kind of cute funny stories!!!

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »

I'm working nights now and my aunt and uncle were already coming up to visit my mother in April. So it just works out better if they bring him up when they come. It will be around the 12th. It gives me time to get supplies purchased and stuff. I've been reading about cockatiels on the forums and other sources. I've wanted a bird for a while but have been concerned about Kaden and his prey drive. But Sammy needs a home where he can be looked after and taken care of. While my aunt was in rehab after her surgeries, her nitwit son didn't feed or water Sammy. Wonder he survived. My stupid assed cousin was also feeding the dog Austex chile, bleh, and the cat was only given tuna fish a few times per week.  enraged Not sure what he fed the other critters. The horses were taken well care of but they were stabled with friends.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »

That's terrible!

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »

Yikes.  Your cousin sure wouldn't want to eat just a couple of times per week, sheesh!   kick 

I'm glad the bird is coming by you!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »

Well, Sammy is getting best home he could ever have!  I know you will do your best by him.  Don't know anything at all about birds (except for my chickens).

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 09:41:20 PM »

His food arrived today.  clapping I am going to try Dr Harvey's Colossal Cockatiel food. It's pricy ($30 for 4lb) but the only food recommended by the American Avian Veterinary Association. I am also doing lots of research into making "bird breads" and looking at a dehydrator too. Of course he will get fresh veggies and fruits as well.

After losing Kiva I really went down hill. Getting ready for Sammy has helped a lot. My need to shop for my pets is being fulfilled  Grin and it gives me something to look forward too. A new companion animal is exciting. I have a new cage picked out for him and have hit all the feed stores and Petco/Petsmart to see what they offer. Found some good web sites too.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »

Getting ready for Sammy has helped a lot. My need to shop for my pets is being fulfilled
  clapping

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 03:51:58 AM »

It takes a LOOONG time for them to get big enough to eat.. wink2

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:09 AM »

I love hearing the excitement in your posts Layne!!!

clapping

Doc ...too funny! rotfl

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »

Sammy should be here within a couple of weeks. I ordered another tub of food for him since I had a 15% off coupon I needed to use by April 7. Last night I ordered over $100 worth of bird toys, cage accessories, etc., from Drs Foster and Smith. Now I am trying to decide on which flight cage I want. Looking into getting a special bird light too. That is going to be more difficult. I don't some ugly shop light hanging from ceiling. Don't think my ceiling could hold one up anyway as old and brittle as it is.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »

Sounds like Sammy is going to be one spoiled birdie!!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

The new toys and some accessories arrived from Fosters and Smith. A few perches, a bag of millet, some chew toys, a mirror, and foraging wheel etc. Today I ordered his new cage from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-F050-Products-Hammertone/dp/B0002AQ228/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1365647422&sr=8-5&keywords=flight+cage

I will get the rest of the accessories (dishes, cuttle bone, birdie bath) once the new cage is here and assembled. Right now he has been kept in a very small cage designed for a parakeet. He will hopefully dig the new crib.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »

I couldn't wait for my aunt and uncle to bring Sammy up from Houston so I am driving there Sunday to pick him up and bring him back. Bid me safe journey to and fro. I got his cage today and set it up. My aunt tells me my cousin has really neglected poor Sammy. He lives in filth (both cousin and Sammy) and has been fed nothing but crackers for months now. I wonder what condition the poor little guy will be in. Also, they aren't sure Sammy is a male. Sammy might be a Samantha. My grandmother just named him out of the blue when she got without really caring if he were male or female. I will determine that when I get to Houston Sunday.

Here are some pics of his new home:

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »

Wow! That's nice!  I'm glad you are going to get him/her if the living conditions are not good.
Safe travels.. How are you transporting Sammy?

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »

I was going to put the top part of his current cage in the cab of my truck but was told it was in very poor (as in filthy) condition. My sister is going to loan me her small cage she uses to take her bird to the vet just in case. We all think Sammy would travel better if kept in his current cage--less stress. However, if it's that nasty, I don't want to sit with it in my truck for four hours.

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »

Good luck Layne! 

Sammy is one lucky bird and he doesn't even know it yet!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »

I hope  he makes the trip okay. Hope I make the trip okay. Four hours of Interstate 45 is enough to make you lose your hair.  eeek

This morning I added a few more toys and perches and another food dish to his flight cage. My dilemma is where to put his water dish.  sno undecided

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 07:40:25 AM »

Good luck today Layne!  Drive carefully.  Let us know how things go and pics are always good!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster