December 15, 2018, 02:09:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too soon for RMB?  (Read 1463 times)
megs
Dog Addict!

« on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »

I have some knuckle bones in the freezer and I'm wondering if its to soon to give one to the nameless dog.  With switching him from the multi colored food he had at the shelter to better food and throwing a raw bone in there, would it be too much for his tummy?

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »

I would wait to see how the food switch affected him. That way you will know if he has problems what it's from.

Nameless??  rotfl still?

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

Pandora, Sept 19 2001-Feb 11, 2012

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »

How did Nameless  rotfl  make out today?

happy to see you I bet!  big hug

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

I miss you both.  RIP my beloved Pandora & darling Mason.
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »

He bent the crate and made a good attempt to get out but he didn't manage to get out.  There is dog hair wrapped around the top latch of the crate so he must have gotten his head partly out.  Yikes.
He didn't mess in there and took a long pee when we got outside, then played in the yard. 
I posted a video on Facebook.  Tomorrow I will do a proper photo shoot with my real camera and post them here.

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »

He also chewed the windowsill so he must have had his head at least 6 inches out if the crate.

-Henry Rollins
pyrennial
Dog Addict!

Pandora, Sept 19 2001-Feb 11, 2012

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »

rotfl  poor little Nameless - he must have been lonely.  wink2

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

I miss you both.  RIP my beloved Pandora & darling Mason.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »

Switching from a poor quality food to a good quality food shouldn't be a problem. It's normally switching between poor stuff that most dogs get upset stomachs. In a few days,  you can give him a bone. I nice ham bone with some meat would be good or a lamb shank. He will get a work out chewing the meat off and then nosh on the bone.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:28:42 PM »

My husband is seriously fed up with him.  After DH saw the window sill and we were standing in the dining room talking about it, the dog started peeing on the floor.  Then I went out for a couple hours and he peed on the floor again so DH put him in the yard.  DH didn't even get in the house before Mr. No name got out of the gate.  Don't know how he got out but it's not broken, thankfully.  And he also just ran up on the porch which is another blessing because he could have taken off for the hills.

I keep telling him we have to give him some time, I have a feeling it's going to be pretty miserable around here for a while.  I hope this dog settles in fast or I'm going to have a fight on my hands.

I put him in his crate with his dinner and he laid down in there.  I left him in there about 5 minutes and let him out, I gave him a small piece of lamb kidney that I found in our chest freezer.  He loved that!  Thankfully I have the weekend with him to work and work and work with him.

-Henry Rollins
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

Just remind Hubby that he's a puppy and he probably was never potty trained. Its natural instinct for him to not pee in his crate but he doesn't understand the house yet. As for the crate, be so careful. He could get hurt if he is getting his head out that far. I'd make sure you take off any collar you put on him when in the crate if there is any possibility he can get his head out again, if the collar snags wrong and he pulls wrong, you don't want him strangling himself. I'm sure things will settle down once he settles in and starts getting some good mental and physical stimulation. Having to be in a crate all day the day after you got him I'm sure through him for a loop. Can't wait to see pics! Smiley

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »

Sad maybe it was nervous urination?
Like Kim said.. He is still a puppy.. A big one at that!  I hope your DH gives him some time. Hopefully with you having the weekend off it will help to make him feel secure.

megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:52:21 PM »

My husband is just looking for something to be miserable about.   slaphead

He had no water all day and when we went outside in the yard after we got home, he drank up a storm out of the water container I have out there.  He must have just over done it and doesn't know yet how to ask to go out.  I would think he deserves some credit for not going to the bathroom in his crate all day.

I just wish my husband wasn't such a crab ass! 

-Henry Rollins
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »

It's so hard not to be able to be with them all the time to prevent problems in the house those first few weeks! Do you know of any students or other young people in your community or family who might be willing to watch him during the day and take him out, play with him, show him good house behavior, etc. while you're at work? I couldn't afford to take the time off when I got Erie, so I paid a fellow college student who was between jobs $40 to be with him for several hours on the days that I worked long shifts his first two weeks. That way he had little to no opportunity to pee in the house or bark for hours on end or learn other bad behaviors because my friend was attached to his side. It was a bit of an extra investment ($40 is a big deal on a shoestring budget like mine!) but it was so worth it because Erie has developed such good house habits as a result!

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »

For pete's sake. He is a puppy. DH being such a pill won't help, IMO. The pup needs to learn new rules. That will take some time to learn all of them. If he is chewing and teething a lot, then I would go ahead and buy him some good chews like  raw bones, a thick bully stick, etc, so he can learn what is okay to chew and not. I hope DH calms down. Puppies are a challenge that is well worth the time and effort once they "get it." Good luck.  big hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »

I know.  He's certainly not helping.  He's getting so cranky and impatient in his old age.  I also think he has amnesia about when Seejay and Ivy were puppies. 

Today, he met our next door neighbor and his little son and he hasn't had one accident in the house.  He is certainly trying to push his limits and gets on the couch and won't get down.  He challenges me when I tell him to get down so I keep a leash handy so I can loop it around his neck and pull him down.  No way is he getting away with trying to dominate.  If I reach for his collar he snaps at my hand so the leash is the safest way.  Then, I make him sit.  This is not a dog who I want to give an inch to at this point as far as behavior.  I think he would have been the puppy who needed to be shaken to within an inch of his life.   rotflmao

-Henry Rollins
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster