December 16, 2017, 03:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Santa wave       xmasscene       Santa wave

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our day at Port Jervis Humane Society  (Read 2722 times)
megs
Dog Addict!

« on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

I just happened to look on their website this morning before I even got out of bed.  They were having a Fall Festival there today.  It's about an hour from us and they have a dog there (American Bulldog named Brute) that I have been looking at online and called about the other day.  Brute was unable to come out of his cage because he has kennel cough but he was not a happy camper anyway.  He was barking at us and lunging at the cage.  The worker went in and he kind of cuddled up to her and she said they had a hard time getting near him at first.  He is also unneutered.  Right next to Brute was a dog that I thought was a Pyr/St. Bernard mix.  He was such a love.  Licking our hands through the fencing on the cage.  They had his name listed as 'Gumby' but were told that they found out his real name is Max.  He was found as a stray but someone recognized him and told them his real name.  They have him listed as a "Central Asian Shepard".  We took him for a walk to a fenced in area they have for the dogs to run in.  He's about the size of Ivy and less than a year and is already neutered.  He was acting like a doofy puppy, then would come over for some love, play with toys, run around with Nicholas, flop down and lay in the grass.  Just a really cool dog.
We took him to the front office so I could fill out an application.  The man I was speaking to turned out to be the shelter director.  We spoke at length about Pyrs because he happens to be a Pyr owner.  He approved our application right away.  One of the other staff people came in and said someone else is interested in him and has been coming in every few days to spend time with him.  The director couldn't find any application on him and there were no indications on his cage tag that he was on hold or anything.  The director said that if this issue hadn't come up, he would have let me take him home right then.  There is usually a 24 hour waiting period.  He said he will check into it on Tuesday and showed me my application which he had written "I REALLY LIKE THESE PEOPLE!!!" across the top.   rotfl

So we will hold our breath until Tuesday.  With this storm coming, I don't know what is going to happen though!  His name is Max, but so is Nicholas' best friend!  So we were talking about calling him "Ax" instead.   rotfl   My son, who lives his life led by his stomach, chose to skip lunch to spend more time with the dog. 

He is terrified of cars.  The kennel worker told us they had to sedate him to go for his neuter.  He didn't even want to walk past the line of cars in the parking lot.    I mentioned it to the shelter director and he tried to get him into his own truck.  Max struggled against the leash and then laid down on the ground and wouldn't budge.  He told me if we couldn't get him into the car, they would give him some Ace so we could get him home.

I am so excited about this.  I sure hope it works out.

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »

Sounds like a perfect dog for you!  Good luck!

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »

I cant wait to see some pictures!  Smiley

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »

I hope it works out for you!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »

If those people wanted him, they should have made up their minds sooner. They sound wishy washy to me. I wouldn't adopt to them. I hope this works out. He sounds like a great dog. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »

Here is one of the pics I took today.  My phone won't upload pics right to DA so I copied this one from Facebook.

* 197254_4428262755943_1952066912_n.jpg (93.29 KB, 405x720 - viewed 210 times.)

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »

Seems like the other staff member has a friend interested in him, maybe? If someone comes to visit a few times, why wouldn't they put in an application?

He's really cute!

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:53:11 PM »

His body color sort of reminds me of an akita I had a loong time ago..Doc.. head scratch

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:56 AM »

Doc..he reminds me of an akita also!

He's gorgeous though Megs!  Hope things work out for you.  You guys deserve happiness.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »

I have been looking online for info on Central Asian Shepherds and he doesn't look like any i saw online.  Could be a mix or bad breeding.  The CAS is a pretty rare breed but according to the shelter director, someone in that area has a breeding pair and so they see them often at the shelter.  He said 10 or 12 of them.
From what I read, males can be up to 175 lb.  If he is 11 months old now and maybe 100 lb, I don't see how he could get that much bigger.  Maybe 130 tops once he fills out. 
The CAS pics i have seen online have their tails docked to a weird length.  His tail isn't docked and unlike Seejay and Vee's tails which curled up, his is straight from what i remember.  So i am sure he will be clearing tables with his tail. Lol

-Henry Rollins
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »

He's a beautiful dog. He reminds me of Akita from the markings and coat. His head looks St Bernie or Pyr. I have never seen a pic of a CAS so I need to look them up.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »

big hug  I so hope you get him, Megs! I saw the picture of Nicholas with Ax on Facebook yesterday!

They look like they really belong together! 

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »

I had to look up CAS.. I've never heard of them! Most of the images show real small rounded ears. Do they clip them?

Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »

Awesome! He's so cute; I hope you get him! Nothin' like a big, oafy male to just put a smile on your face, especially when you really need one.

I only saw small pictures of the CAS's, but their ears looked pretty severely cropped in all of them. I've never seen a dog that large with a docked tail before.  head scratch

Erebus used to be TERRIFIED of cars. He freaked out at leash training at first, not because he objected to walking, but because he couldn't run away from the cars that passed our house when he was on a leash! Of course, he was a lot smaller when I was training him out of that...

I used to visit Ryker--the German Shepherd that I considered adopting before I got Erebus--at the shelter a lot. It was right before I moved, so I wasn't able to take him home right away. Plus, I wasn't sure if I was going to be the best home for him with his joint issues, so I wanted to take my time in deciding. They might just have needed time to figure out if they were a good home for him, but if they're serious about getting a dog, the right one will come along for them (hopefully, a DIFFERENT right one than this guy!).

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

Awwwwww. Cutie! He looks like he would be a lap dog. Lol!

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

Pandora, Sept 19 2001-Feb 11, 2012

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 05:59:59 AM »

luvsmile  he looks like a sweetie. 

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

I miss you both.  RIP my beloved Pandora & darling Mason.
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »

I have been looking at Pyrenian Mastiffs and he looks more similar to one of those than a CAS.  He has droopy lower eyelids like the PM.  Going to read more about them.

-Henry Rollins
Trisha
Staff Writer

Hey, watcha' doin'?

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »

Looks like a goofy, loveable guy. I hope you get him!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »

He likes a CAS to me. I read about the breed on line. Very interesting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster