February 28, 2020, 01:03:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old trick for teaching attention heeling  (Read 1541 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: October 06, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »

Erie is getting to be of the age (read: size) where it is time to revoke his "puppy license" on the leash. Thus far, I've been pretty permissive, so long as my arm doesn't get yanked off, but his desire to dart hither and thither hath finally worn my achy, cake decorating muscles down. Time for the attention heel.

It's been a while since I've carried dog treats constantly in my pockets. Lacking a fresh supply, I took Erie on our weekly walk down to Plaid Pantry to pick up a treat for him (jerky) and a treat for me (hard lemonade). And let me tell you, I had forgotten how well that old obedience trick for teaching attention heeling works: treat-spitting.

(Hence the jerky.)

Kahaus used to be able to catch treats in midair. Erie's nose-eye coordination still needs some fine-tuning, but he's able to find at least most of them the second they hit the ground. I suddenly became much more interesting than all of the neighborhood sights and smells with jerky spewing out of my mouth every time he looked up at me from my left side.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »

That is hilarious!  Sid's favorite treats are dehydrated chicken livers.  I'm not chewing those up and spitting them at him! 
I may try that with something less nasty...they sell bacon jerky at Tractor Supply.  Maybe I will try that...would be a shame to spit that out though!  Lol

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
A.J.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »

I don't eat any beef, lamb, veal, venison anything like that!
I'd have to try something like turkey jerky!

Great training idea though!     Gonna have to try it!
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »

You could do it with hot dog pieces

Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »

Yup, that's what I use. Hot dog pieces and, occasionally, jerky. (Though sometimes I'll eat his treats when they are jerky...)

DigiKahaus

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »

(The funniest thing is seeing the reaction of people I pass by as Erie and I walk down the street with me spewing treats at him. Pretty sure I freaked out a little old lady the other day...)

DigiKahaus

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

Considering most people spit at what they don't like I'm sure the lady was confused if not something else.  xmasshake

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster