December 20, 2014, 12:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apache  (Read 606 times)
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« on: June 19, 2012, 06:34:02 AM »

I think I posted before about Apache attacking Navajo when he was younger.....well since then I have always kept them seperated. I have baby gates installed in the doorways downstairs. They take turns on who is with me in the livingroom...or outside.
Its a real pain in the rear. I already tried the behaviorist. and i did not agree with his methods. Tried prosac, but that just put her into a super "attack" mode, and she jumped through my porch. (I think i posted on that too)

So my question is......does anyone know of any natural "calming" herbal remedies I can try with Apache. I tried the stuff at petstores but that doesnt do anything.

one day i want to try them together again...but she really hasnt changed. She still has that "crazy" look in her eyes. sometimes through the cat door at the bottom of the gate she will let Navajo lick her face and ears...but she is super tense. (she seems to be afraid of him, not sure if its cuz of his coloring or his smell...or what...but he is super sweet to her, and very submissive to her, but she freaks out)

You think after all this time she would have relaxed alittle...but nope. a Few months ago she started peeing in the house ....took her to the vet and everything was fine.just behavioral......took her back again cuz she looked skinny........ she lost 10lbs (I added extra treats and wet food to keep her eating...notice she only eats when Im in the room with her...or if I have her in the crate at night she will eat then...(they take turns on who sleeps in their crate)

There is a few times I caught them both playing through the gate...but i can count that on one hand.
just not sure what else there is to try....
oh and i tried the thunder shirt, that didnt do anything) tried the pheromones for a few months..and the pheromone collar....didnt notice anything.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »

Wow, I'm sorry they aren't getting along better.
Maybe Layne will see this and give you some ideas on natural calming supplements.

Good luck!

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »

I'll try anything with her.
Wish they had medical marijuana out here cuz i think thats what she needs.  make her some special dog biscuits and put on Bob Marley for her. LOL!!!!!!!!!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

rotfl

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

somewhere I am depriving a village of an idiot !!

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »

I'll try anything with her.
Wish they had medical marijuana out here cuz i think thats what she needs.  make her some special dog biscuits and put on Bob Marley for her. LOL!!!!!!!!!

As long as I can dog-sit for youall..    }jumphappy{   Doc..

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:46:22 AM »

LOL!!!

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:58:52 AM »

Have you tried benadryl?  It does nothing for Molly but i know on some dogs it does help relax them.  I give it to Molly for her itchiness sometimes.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »

havent tried that, but I will. thanks!

Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:55:40 AM »

That is too bad Apache cannot accept Navajo in the pack yet.  I sure hope it works for you soon rather than constantly worrying about how.  I do not know the how, have you tried more than one behaviorlist?  Not all have the same methods.

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:35:52 AM »

he was the only one i tried....im not wasting my money on some degree they can get off the internet. LOL
i know eventually she will accept him. probably when he is older and not so puppyish.
there was one day she jumped the baby gate and they were in the kitchen together..(not sure how long) .but as soon as the excitement started cuz i was home , she turned her focus on him. (cuz he got excited and cuz i was there) she got that crazy look in her eye. and looked at him like he was dinner. that was when he was little...one of the last times there were together. i was able to block her with another gate...
when i come home im not one of those people that get all cheery and start saying Im home, how are you..blah blah blah....i come in through the side door up the stairs, get into the kitchen, put my stuff down on the table...glance around for poop or stuff that is chewed.......and then i go to the patio door, but i dont open it still they sit. (navajo goes out first (cuz he is in the kitchen by the patio door), then i bring him in , crate him...take apache out, bring her in, back into the livingroom....uncrate navajo, take him back out.sometimes i will take apache out front when he is in the back...and thats when i usually ask if they were good puppies...and then i play musical "rooms" all night long..LOL oh just writing that Im thinkig to myself how do i do this everyday! LOL
with lots of love.  luvsmile
she might be mad he goes out first..but oh well. thats how it has to be.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »

You really have to think on a dogs level and understand what their body language is saying to each other to understand what their issues are.  I have learned a lot with my dog training in the past, some from Cesar Milan, I know some do not like him, but I learned a lot from him about watching the dog ques before they get into a confortation and stop it there.  I also have learned a lot about body language from the training Kyra is going thru to be a service dog.  That training they watch everything to gauge when the dog is receptive to training and when they are too stressed or whatever we figure is going on with them.  
I have not found it easy, it is especially hard not to think the dogs think like a human thinks.  They are a bit more simple minded.  
I actually have my dog pack figured out better than I do my two teenage boys.  head scratch
Apache just has to know Navajo is part of the pack, they have to figure out who is going to be in charge between them and you are top dog.  

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 07:32:55 AM »

stuff i already know... I am Cesar "kate" Millan. LOL.    Grin 

Im going to get her into agility and maybe Rally O..she needs to build up her confidence...just waiting for the next session to start. (and rallyo is just on 1 day a week, which sucks)

im not giving up yet. she just needs some "special" cookies and a job to do.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »

Ok Ceasar Kate Milan... rotfl
Do you work on teenagers too?  Grin  I guess I am lucky not to be raising two girls by myself.
I bet Apache having a job to do will help her a lot.  She will have her mind focused else where and a place to channel her energy away from Navajo.  Are you able to walk the two on a walk off your property side by side without fighting so they kinda have to depend on one another to take care of you and depend on you at the same time?

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 06:16:36 AM »

I know the walk would help ALOT...but I havent been able to try it. I know if she went for him and through me off balance that wouldnt be good. I cant take that risk and I dont really have anyone around me to take one dog so I can take the other.
I'll probably have to hire a dog walker or something...and walk with them. LOL. but that could get expensive.
or......if i ever get a man! he can help me! LOL. I told Navajo last night that Im on a mission to find him a daddy this year. LOL 

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »

Have you considered a muzzle? If you trust Navajo 100% then if Apache is muzzled she will not be able to hurt him. I once rehomed a failed working dog with a family who muzzled their dog for 2 weeks to get her used to the other dog (they'd done this once before with another dog) and once that time frame was up the dog could be totally trusted, they just needed that long to accept the new pup. Just a thought to consider, not ideal, but safe....

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »

yep tried the muzzle. she seemed fine with it after awhile..and I put them together..and she attacked him. (i only had her wear it for about 4days...and lots of cat food during that time)
I tried the shock collar..and that just pissed her off more..she attacked him with that too
i tried the positive reinforcements with feeding her cat food when he was near....thought that was doing some good...but then she attacked him.  Roll Eyes
tried prozac...and that made her more crazy.
i was doing some more research, and I think im going to have her thyroid checked...I dont think they did that at the vet...and i gotta rule out all the medical possiblities....
maybe not having them together isnt so bad....I look at Navajo and he is turning out to be one of my best dogs ever.....if I put him in a situation to be attacked by her again, she might ruin him.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster