July 09, 2020, 12:52:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag       flag       goodmorning       flag       flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyra alerts....  (Read 1897 times)
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« on: June 18, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »

The other day I was just sharing with my friends at the barn that I was wondering if Kyra was ever going to alert without being prompted in some way.  She had done it a time or two, but not too many times. 
One of the issues we found out was that the scent samples we had were too old.  They are good up to 3 mos, so Brandon got another sample about a week or so ago.  Friday night Brandon went to an event with other service dogs, one of them being a diabetic guy who is legally blind.  His dog is seeing eye and diabetic alert.  Brandon was there to work with my sister for photography and meet this guy.  He had Kyra with him.  I get a text from Brandon that Kyra was being a brat and would not settle down.  My mind is thinking Oh poo, I have to go pick her up so Brandon can work.  I than get another text a few minutes later that Kyra is jumping on him and won't leave him alone.  While I was doing more hemming a haaing that I have to go get her, Brandon text me again and said he checked his blood sugar and it was 60 something.  Kyra was alerting him.  It just took Brandon a few minutes to figure it out. 
Saturday Brandon was at his desk in his room.  Kyra pawed at him, this time Brandon checked his blood sugar.  Again it was low.  The funny part of it was even while Brandon was drinking juice to raise it, while it was still in the 60s, Kyra kept alerting him.  She even left a good stratch on his shoulder. 
Today after work Kyra alerted again.  This time it was in the 70s, which is not too bad, but very glad Kyra brought it to his attention.  I asked Brandon how she got his attention.  He said she jumped on him and pawed.  She is only suppose to paw, but I do not blame her for trying harder when Brandon did not believe her other times. 
Trisha
Staff Writer

Hey, watcha' doin'?

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:08:13 AM »

That's great. She's definitely "got it", just need to refine her alert signals a little. Yay for Kyra!  woof
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »

That is AWESOME!!!!  clapping Happy Yell

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:13 AM »

clapping That's great!!
Sounds like Brandon needs a little more training to understand her!  Grin
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »

Update on Kyra,

She is being trained now for highs and lows in the same training.  So when she gets the low scent she is suppose to paw Brandon, when she gets the High she is suppose to tug on his shirt.  Since her last focus was highs before the training combined the two, she was doing better on highs than lows and she is still alerting more with pawing than pulling with either scent.  It takes time to get everything all sorted out.  What amazes me is she does it rather consistently and she seems to enjoy doing it.

Brandon told me during his Spanish class he was giving a little presentation in Spanish.  Kyra usually sleeps under a desk while he is in class.  This one time she hopped up and was nibbling on Brandon in the front trying to get a grip.  She was not too good on aiming for his shirt, but giving it her best effort.  The teacher and students were not sure what she was doing.  Brandon knew but was trying to get thru his presentation.  The teacher said to Kyra, don't get him there Kyra, be careful, don't hurt him.  rotfl  Brandon couldn't go on without laughing, so he finally pulled the bottom of his shirt, Kyra grabbed on and pulled. 
He than explained she was alerting him and he did check and he did have a high blood sugar. 

After class, his teacher told him he was very impressed to see her in action. 

The teachers are enjoying Kyra in their class, his science teacher even calls her for roll call.  Brandon answers for her, she just sleeps. 
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »

That's fantastic she is learning so good!!  I bet that was really funny to see hr trying to get his shirt!  Grin
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »

I still laugh about Kyra trying to get Brandon's shirt and the teacher commenting.  Of all the teachers Brandon has had in high school, he is my favorite.  This is the 2nd time he has had him. 
KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »

That's great...

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »

That's awesome that she's doing so well with her training & obviously "getting it." And that it is known now what these dogs are smelling so that they can be trained. It wasn't too many years ago that alerting was considered a "you got it or you don't" talent that no one had any clue how to train for because they weren't sure what tipped the dogs off.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

She is still alerting well and biting him in the butt for highs. rotfl
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »

Happy Yell awesome!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »

That's good news but I hope she doesn't wear his jeans out.  Grin

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:34:28 AM »

Good girl Kyra!!!!!  HI5

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 11:39:29 PM »

Wow, she is doing a good job!  Brandon will get more tuned into her eventually.

I was taking a nap recently, but had somewhere to go, so I set the stove timer.  Jasmine heard the stove timer and came over to lick my face.  LOL!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster