November 27, 2014, 06:07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: turk   Happy TDay   turk

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Siris  (Read 2282 times)
pittygrrl
Dog Addict!

My Ontario Includes Pit Bulls!

« on: April 18, 2005, 12:29:31 PM »

I adopted Siris 4 years ago from a no-kill rescue in rural Ontario.  I'd just moved out on my own, and never had a dog before - I'd always wanted one but family members have allergies and it just wasn't possible while I was growing up.  I was a volunteer dog-walker at the Toronto Humane Society for 2 years before I was ready to adopt a dog.  I loved walking dogs there but 90% of the dogs they had were pitbulls and rottweilers or mixes of either.  I wasn't sure that I was ready for such a big dog, or such a dominant/strong willed type dog, especially one that had little training. So I'd walk them on the weekends and play fetch with them and pet them and spoil them rotten, but I knew I wouldn't be bringing one home. Which led me outside the city in my search for a dog...when I found Siris, I had shown up there to look at a beagle.  But then they had a 1 year old "whippet mix" they wanted to show me.  Who turned out to be whippet-pitbull.  Who was a total love.  And so she was mine.

I know nothing about her background since she had been a stray that had come into the local pound and not been claimed.  Her time ran up there and she was about to be sold to a medical research facility when her rescuers sprung her and brought them to their private rescue - a huge farm, which was also their home.  My girl was there in a heated outdoor kennel for about a month before I came along.

"Tigger" was quickly renamed Siris and came to live with my ex-boyfriend and I in the city.  She was a wild child. We're talking zero leash manners, zero manners at all actually.  She was rambunctious as hell, bouncing all over the place (and I thought she was named Tigger initially because of her brindle-ness!), and just all around bratty.  She had extreme separation anxiety, and she wanted to eat most dogs she met.  I had my work cut out for me.  But there was good stuff - Siris immediately proved herself to be thee most affectionate dog I have ever met.  She was an instant frisbee champion.  She wasn't a barker.  She got along well with the ex's cat.  She was smart and learned super fast. 90% of the population would have returned this girl to the rescue within 2 days - but I couldn't give up on my girl.

A gentle leader helped with the leash pulling, and we started into a series of obedience classes, which were trying at first but helped us bond and learn so much.  By the time she could heel well on a martingale, the trainer at our school had offered me an assistant job at the school - "if you can train that dog", she said, "I'd love it if you can come and work for me."  Siris' separation anxiety will probably never go away, but it's gotten a lot better.  She's much more controllable with other dogs and meets many she loves.  She knows tons of tricks and commands and she's learning agility. She comes to the office with me 3 days a week where she gets constant love from my co-workers.  She just loves anyone she meets - especially new people.  We take a lot of crap from people because she's part pit bull, but really, she's a total suck and pretty much the exact opposite of the stereotype.

Siris is now about 5 years old and showing no signs of slowing down, at all.  If it weren't for the grey on her muzzle, you'd think she was still a puppy.  I hope we've got a great many years together yet - and boy am I glad I stuck it out with her - I can't imagine her not being in my life. Heart
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 07:26:38 AM by pittygrrl » Logged

pittygrrl
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:32:56 PM »

And a few more shots of The Mutters herself:

Mary [deryni]
Global Moderator

Rikku - aka Funk Bird

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:43:19 PM »

I just love her ears!   Heart
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 01:06:42 PM »

She is one of the most beautiful dogs I've seen!

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
SarahM
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:24:31 PM »

I cant look at the pics right now, but it's a great story! You got a great dog and employment - now that rocks! Smiley

~ Rider: www.dogster.com/?127087 ~ Logan: www.dogster.com/?113178 ~

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own." - Lloyd Biggle, Jr.
Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:31:33 PM »

Awww...I'm glad I got to see more Siris pics!  What a sweetheart!  I love the sepis toned pic!  So great!  }${

Hogan: http://www.dogster.com/?124897    Jack: http://www.dogster.com/?124913

pittygrrl
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 02:39:32 PM »

Aww, thanks guys!

Alyssa(jstagrl...)
Ask Me For Help!
Top Mod

Happy Holidays !!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 05:34:23 PM »

Siris is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
K9Siren
Dog Addict!

For those who sing..it exists

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 07:14:30 PM »

I love Siris! She has such a beautiful look to her.  Heart

God Bless!
~Candace
dawnk777
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 03:16:46 AM »

Awww, what a neat story!
Claire
Dog Addict!

Be yourself, who else is qualified?

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 04:35:57 AM »

Siris is a beaut!

SarahM
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 08:06:44 PM »

She is so pretty and I LOVE the new sig! Cheesy

~ Rider: www.dogster.com/?127087 ~ Logan: www.dogster.com/?113178 ~

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own." - Lloyd Biggle, Jr.
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 12:29:31 AM »

She just has an unique and beautiful face! How could she do anything wrong?

Love your new sig also!
Chestersmama
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 02:52:43 PM »

Siris is such a lovely dog - I have never seen a pitbull/whippet mix before.  Such huge, beautiful eyes!!!  I love her markings too.  Kudos to you for sticking it out through her adjustment period.  Sometimes, that's all a good dog needs - patience on the part of its owner.   I'll never understand the way out of control prejudice against pitbulls out there, and how so many people get these amazing animals and then as promptly dump them.  When I started checking out rescues and shelters here last winter, I was SHOCKED at how many pitbulls and cats populate these places.  Thank goodness you and Siris found each other!! 

"If there is anything disagreeable going on men are always sure to get out of it."
- Jane Austen, Persuasion
Nancy*
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 02:31:07 AM »

she is so pretty  Heart

A big hug from my guys,
Beertje & Rickie

Give a dog a chance, help dogs from a shelter!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster