October 25, 2014, 10:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: yappie dog    bark trky1    yappie dog

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the old girl issue  (Read 1262 times)
pyrennial
Dog Addict!

Pandora, Sept 19 2001-Feb 11, 2012

« on: May 16, 2012, 07:34:03 AM »

well I think I figured it out.

the reason they gave up Daisy Mae.

she's leaking urine in her sleep.   At first not at all.  And then I thought - hmm - why does her bed have a little wet spot - was that the head end or the butt end? just a tiny amount  - But last night - oh my!   She woke me up because her bed was wet.  But I took care of it.  and no more issues through the night.

So it could be a urinary tract infection (carry over from the diarrhea of last week)  Or it could just be old girl - muscle weakness - either way it means another trip back to the vet - I just don't know which one.  Even if it is the old girl thing - we might be able to fix her up with a little estrogen.

Poor Daisy.

So that's it - I'm on my own for a bit.  DH is out of town until Sunday or Monday.   So - Daisy Mae better be able to get into the truck by her own self!

And I just don't have time for this.  I have my day job and then - a rehearsal tonight, class tomorrow, and a SHOW on Friday night and I think I'm coming down with something....

And I need to figure out which vet to call - and who & where and WHEN I can get Daisy Mae in to see someone.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

I miss you both.  RIP my beloved Pandora & darling Mason.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »

We had that problem with Laydi.  The vet gave her a chiropractic adjustment and she stopped wetting.

With Minnie, it didn't help.  Just something to look into if you are looking for solutions.

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:10 AM »

I hope you can figure out something.  It always seems these things happen when you have no time for another problem.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »

So I booked her for a chiropractic consult with a different vet at the same clinic I had her in a few weeks ago for Tuesday afternoon.  It's a long weekend here so soonest I could get in with my work schedule anyway.

Based on her mobility issues a chiropractic assessment not a bad idea anyway. 

Thanks for your advice.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.  ~ Kahil Gibran.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »

Good luck, I hope they can help her.

Trisha
Staff Writer

Hey, watcha' doin'?

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »

I hope they can help her too. Poor thing.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »

I hope you find a solution for her. Poor girl. Many people claim that Tinkle Tonic works so you might give it a try along with other approaches.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Animals-Apawthecary-Tinkle-Tonic-Herbal/148001.aspx

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »

I had a couple of female dogs that did that.  When my dog Whiskey did it when she was young she had a bladder infection.  I panicked and rushed her to the vet a long long time ago.
When she entered old age it was due to old age.
My rottie did it too at times, I was not ever able to get a pee sample from her, she did do it more often as she got older though.  Never did find the reason.
I hope you find a solution for Daisy Mae poor girl. 
You are sure busy...

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »

Molly leaks also. She has for gears. Not just a little either. She can soak her part of the bed. Shes on meds for it. I believe its called propolomine. It helps tremendously.  She rarely leaks . I give her one pill a day.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »

We have had mixed results with tinkle tonic, but when it works IT WORKS!  Great stuff, good idea to check it out.

With Laydi, one day she just started wetting, when she slept.  As terri says, one quick adjustment and that problem was resolved. 

Gosh I miss Dr. Pedro.  Smart, helpful...caring.  More than just the best advice and care, a great big hug when faced with difficulties and challenges of life with dogs.

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
pyrennial
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »

Doesn't it figure that NOW that I've made the vet appointment AND wrapped both the dog beds in plastic (under their cloth covers)  It hasn't happened again.   huh?  4 times in 3 days and now - nothing.

good.  but frustrating.

I'm keeping the appointment.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

Maybe she was just nervous?  Adjusting to a new place?

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »

Jordy used to have this issue if he drank too much. He has back issues and I think he'd release his bladder in his sleep because of the pressure pushing on his back. If hers is somehow related to something like that, she may be drinking water more normally and it isn't an issue.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »

My dog Whiskey did it one time until she got old and she did it more, but she lived to be 17 yrs old, so she lived a good long llife.

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

OMGoodness.

I'm sure Daisy Mae thought she died and went to DOG HEAVEN yesterday.

We went to see the Vet for a chiropractic assessment.   So she got to lie on a magnetic cushion, while I petted her head, the vet did the chiropractic adjustment AND the tech gave her an all over vibrating massage with one of those hand held massage units for 30 minutes or so.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME ?  I've never had a massage that good. 

She definitely enjoyed it.  and she was holding her tail a lot higher when we left.  Bonus - she got to say hello to the two other dogs in the waiting area on the way out.

Definitely preferred this vet to the other one.  And 110% improvement on the vet tech.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »

How is Daisy Mae doing now?

That massage sounds wonderful.

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 05:58:22 PM »

I haven't noticed much difference but we're going to go back 3 more times. 

She hasn't had any more wetting - but... who knows.   She definitely needs to get moving and more exercise so - either way this is beneficial for her.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »

That is great.    Proly feeling a lot more relaxed.

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »

if she was any more relaxed she'd be unconscious.  oh wait - she is unconscious (most of the day)   rotfl

she's probably been sneaking a few  beer beer beer

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »

beer beer beer and the massage would knock me out for weeks.  HMMMMM!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »

That sounds fantastic!! I'm glad you found a vet you like, too!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »

How's things working with Miss Daisy? 

pyrennial
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »

We had our second appointment for chiropractic adjustment and massage. She gained ~another~ pound!   thud and is tipping the scales at 135 - despite being on a diet and telling me how VERY VERY HUNGRY she is.  I'm telling myself she is dropping fat & putting on muscle!  right? - I hope so anyway.  She's been getting a nightly massage from one of her new human slaves - I don't know if it helps but she enjoys it.  luvsmile

She managed to walk all the way around the block without calling for a HALT, go no further protest, on Monday.  She protested a little yest but it was a big day - two jumps in and out of the vehicle and a walk around the building at the vet's office PLUS a walk here at night.   She seems to be more mobile, getting up is easier - No more leakage. Thank goodness!  Diarrhea is under control at the moment - fingers crossed that we've seen the last of that. ugh.

Her sacrum has loosened up apparently after last week's adjustment, still with the arthritis in the hips & knees - but don't we all?  So probably just one more appointment.  I've noticed a big improvement - she seems younger already.  Not the bouncy eight year old Pandora was, but at least she doesn't seem like she's ready to go picking out nursing homes.

She's doing great! 

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »

Great update! If she always seems hungry you can start supplementing her food with more veggies to bulk it up. carrots and green beans are especially easy and good for them. You can use carrots for treats too.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »

I love good updates!! 
I agree about the veggies. When we first got Minnie she was over 60 # and the vet said she needed to drop weight. We cut out most treats and gave her baby carrots for treats. She eventually got to love them. I think it was the idea she was getting something from the fridge!

Glad to hear Daisy is doing good!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster