August 25, 2019, 08:39:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag     flag     flag     flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to say Goodbye?  (Read 1236 times)
megs
Dog Addict!

« on: November 12, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »

My cat Toby...the one who disappeared and then was peeing and pooping all over...is not doing really well.
He has had chronic trouble with his teeth and doesn't have many left.  For a few days, his right eye was squinty and runny and that's how I know he's got some tooth pain going on.  My husband took him to the vet for me on Thursday.  The vet looked at what's left of his teeth and cringed.  For some reason, she decided to yank one out while he was awake (cringe, cringe, cringe) and when she took it out, it was abscessed and there was pus draining.  My husband also said that the vet said his kidneys are enlarged and she thinks he has some thyroid issues because he's having trouble keeping weight on.

He was treated for giardia that stopped the diarrhea he was having but he still poops and pees where he's not supposed to.  I confined him to the bathroom for a couple of nights, but he was so upset that I stopped, fearing he would give himself a heart attack or hurt himself trying to get out.

He still eats and drinks, he is as cuddly as ever and doesn't act "sick", but I know that the issues he has aren't going to improve.  He's on antibiotics for his teeth and a URI so that's making him have loose poops again.

I am thinking that it might be coming to be his time to go to the Bridge, but I am not sure.  I might take him to another vet hospital for a second opinion.  My husband isn't pushy like me and he doesn't ask questions or ask why they didn't do blood work to confirm the things she thought was wrong with him so taking him to another vet and talking to them myself might make things a little clearer.  The vet he saw suggested euthanasia when my husband told her that he's been going to the bathroom everywhere and that doesn't sit right with me. 

In the last year, we have lost my mom, an aunt, my cousin's five month old baby...I am just not ready to say goodbye to another family member!!

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »

I'm sorry for all the losses that you have had.. that's hard to take.

I would take Toby for a 2nd opinion, especially because you are at this point of not knowing. It would give you a little more peace of mind.
 Seeing our pets in pain is so hard..

I'll be thinking of you.

How old is Toby?

megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »

He's 12. 

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »

Personally , I would wait and see how he does.  12 is not that old for a cat and what you're describing sounds a lot like what happens from tooth decay.  The antibiotics should help a lot. 

He's still eating and cuddling...that's a very good sign.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »

You've been through a lot and worked through a lot of loss.  group hug

I was thinking along the lines with Jan. The starting point is the teeth. They have vets who specialize in dentistry. Toby might need some root canal work after his infection clears. The bacteria spreads and can cause nephritis. This is very common in humans. Dental infections can also spread to the liver, gall bladder, and digestive tract. I would ask them to culture the tooth infection and then culture the urine to see if there is infection in there and what bacteria it is. Kidney infections are serious and very difficult to treat so I would start asking questions now.

Let us know how it goes with Toby.  rubhead hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »

A 2nd opinion sounds like it would be best.  Best for your peace of mind and for your kitty. With a chance for the antibiotics to work and a second opinion will help you make the best informed decision and not have any regrets.  If he makes it thru you know you made the right decision, if he does not than you know that is right too.  Hang in there.  So sorry for all your recent losses.  I have a hard enough time with my mom being gone a year now.  Big  group hug group hug group hug to you and your kitty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster