October 19, 2019, 08:32:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ghost     danceskel       dancing pumpkins     danceskel     ghost

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smokey  (Read 976 times)
KDN
Dog Addict!

« on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »

On Sunday night, Smokey drew her last breath and went peacefully to the Bridge.  None of us are really dealing with it very well...after 17 1/2 years it is so hard.  The last few days were really hard...she'd quit eating, drinking, or moving really at all, although she remained true to her bossy self to the end, refusing to lie in her bed and wanting instead to lie on the floor on a towel.  We took turns warming towels in the dryer to put over her, and dripping water into her mouth.  I know I did the right thing by allowing her to do it herself- a trip to the vet would have been too traumatic (witness my other posts regarding her trips to the vet during her diagnosis of diabetes and kidney failure).  She did it her way...like she did everything else in her life.  We've tried to remember the good things, the funny things, the things that made her different.  She could be the sweetest, most loving cat...and then turn into a hateful, spiteful, growling monster if things didn't go her way.  I just hope she hasn't bitten Jesus or any angels yet.

I still wake up at night and reach out for her...and think I hear her thumping her way up the steps my dad had made for her to get on my bed.  I haven't been able to bring myself to pick up her bed or bowls.  Earlier on Sunday, I went to see my parents, just to get out of the house.  While I was gone, DH went out and somehow managed to dig her grave...a place where she could be in the sunshine and watch us come and go.  He and my daughter carried her out and he said a prayer with the three of us sobbing the whole time.

I am not real good at this letting go stuff. 

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »

group hug I'm so very sorry, Kim. Smokey was a beautiful cat!  I'm sure she's pain free and happy at the Bridge.

Sending healing thoughts for your heart.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

Oh!  Big hugs to you big hug group hug and your family.  You did what you knew was best for your little girl.  I have let my cats die on their own too.  I think cats prefer that.  My sister just lost her 18 yr old cat last month and she is still having a hard time with it too.  I still miss my kitties in my past, especially my cat Dusty and my kitty Angel.  Angel was my heart kitty.  I have not let another kitty in my heart like I did Angel.  I know someday I will again, but not yet.  Angel past a few years ago and I wish I had her until the day I part.  I will see her at the bridge just like you will Smokey.  In the meantime we will go on saving other animals, inviting them in our lives and do what we have to do each day to go on while missing those we had to say bye too.  
Your Smokey will watch over all of you, protect  you and love you from the bridge.  She knows you gave her a great life and it is your time to continue with your life until you meet again at the bridge.  She is having a great time at the  rainbow with all the other animals and will wait a long long time for you without any fretting.  She will visit you in a dream here and there and she will give you signs around your house she is around.  She may even help you find a new pet for your family when you feel you are ready if you decide to.
Hang in there.  Big  group hug group hug group hug to you.
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »

group hug group hug
I let my cat Honey pass at home too. I think your cat was at peace too.
So sorry for your loss. Its never easy

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »

I'm really sorry that Smokey is gone. Letting go is never easy even if  you know the time is approaching.  group hug

Smokey was such a pretty kitty cat. May she rest in peace.  rainbow

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:11 AM »

I am so very very sorry for your loss.

17 1/2 yrs is a long time to be in the family so of course Smokey is in your heart.  We will meet all our family at the bridge one day.  I do believe that.

big hug

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster