October 19, 2019, 08:12:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ghost     danceskel       dancing pumpkins     danceskel     ghost

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~Wren~  (Read 2090 times)
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« on: June 02, 2011, 04:16:40 AM »

After a short bout of colic, despite best interventions we lost our Wren around noon on June 1st 2011. From what has been determined to be a torsion which burst.

I drove up to the house Tuesday evening, I was a little late. Wren was laying by the gate not moving much. I walked over and he didn't jump up and I knew something was wrong. Pete had gotten home an hour before me and Wren had eaten and drank normally that evening.

We got him up, called the vet, and gave him three different meds, plus passed an NG tube to reflux him but got nothing back. That was when I really started to wonder if there was something serious. All night, I alternated walking him or just sitting next to him while he rested. The vet made it out, looked him over and declared nothing else to be done, no obvious impaction or torsions could be found at that time. We all prayed this was another massive gas colic which he has had frequently in the few years we've had him.

It wasn't to be. Around 7am he got very painful and antsy and uncomfortable.Broke into a cold sweat and heart rate sky rocketed.  I called the vet but she was stuck ata foaling call. I called two more vets no one could come out. I gave him another dose of pain meds, ,and a muscle relaxer/sedative to calm him down, which helped immensely. He was much more relaxed, normal heart rate normal vitals and laying down resting. So I waited on my vet to come out, around 12 I called a friend to bring the trailer over so I could haul him in to another vet. As he was starting to act antsy again.  He was less than 4 miles away, the vet another 3 miles, but Wren had other plans.

He walked over by the fence, in the shade, a place where he often stood basically all summer. And laid down. I walked over and was going to get the halter put on him to try and get him back up but his face was different. So I sat down next to him and put his head in my lap and he took two breaths and died all on his own. Less than one minute later Rusty was at the gate.

When we got Wren, he was supposed to have been 17 years old, but the people that had him were less than above board with us... he was in rough shape covered in rain rot and lice, wormy and under nourished. Within six months we found out the vet thought he was MUCH older, probably in his mid twenties maybe even late twenties. We called him 25. We never expected the kind of turn around in condition we got. He fattened right up, and shined up like a new penny. Everyone always commented on how he looked his age the day I got him, and I slowly but surely took ten years off his appearance. H e was riding sound up until 6 weeks ago when we had the last big colic scare. We almost lost him then, but I think God knew I still needed him. Or at least needed a bit of time to prepare.

That horse was far more than just a horse to me. He was a rock on the trail, he was a babysitter who taught countless people to ride, and an absolute gentleman in every use of the word, except at feeding time. I will never forget watching him teach Pete to take control of your horse... He circled the feed shed for 20 minutes while Pete tried to move him away... He finally managed it, and since that day has proven to be an excellent rider. He helped to give me confidence back around horses after Peaches systematically destroyed it...  He was like a 1200 pound puppy. He followed me all around the property, and was always getting into something. He enjoyed stealing pumpkins, windshield wipers, rosemary bushes, and eating hay directly out of the back of my pick up.

This has always been my favorite picture of him.  Heart Taken mere moments before he snatched the wind shield wiper off my car and took off bucking and farting like an idiot. It was the first time I had seen him finally be truly happy and relaxed. He had been with us I think 9 months at that point. We had him for just three short years, but we made the most of those years for sure!

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:09:51 AM »

Hill.....

I am so very sorry for your loss.  Wren was a beautiful horse and I loved the tribute you gave him.  Thank God you and he found each other and the last 3 yrs were the best years of his life.  He died knowing he was loved.

group hug

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »

I'm so sorry for your loss.  group hug

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »

Hill, I'm so very sorry. He sure was a beautiful boy.   group hug A beautiful tribute to him.
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »

I'm sorry, Hill. He's gorgeous, and sounds like he was quite a character. How hilarious that he took off with your windshield wiper! That must have been a hoot! I'll say a prayer for you guys. group hug

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »

He was a beautiful baby.  I am very glad you were with him when he went.  I think that was the best for both of you. 
Some of his antics reminds me of Fireman.  He too follows me around like a puppy dog most of the time, he does get distracted by food here and there.  My horse Spot was a lot like Wren in the sense he was an old babysitter anyone could ride.  I rehomed Spot about a year and a half ago and I know he went to a wonderful home and they enyoy or enjoyed him too.  I have not found out if he is still around or not, I am afraid to find out since he would be in his 30s now.  I have a very soft place in my heart for Spot and I do miss him.  Fireman is 10 yrs old and is full of antics and life and is a very special horse to me.
Horses have such true personalities.  They always let you know where you stand with them.  They are very affectionate and love time with you as you spend time with them.  When it is just Fireman and me at the barn he follows me around the barn before I tuck him in the pasture at night.  I love that about him.  He has not ever stolen a windsheild wiper, but if he had the chance he may.  He thought the plastic flowers on one of the jump props were fun to play with.
My dad worked a job for a wealthy lady from Australia who lived here in AZ.  She had a pet Zebra somehow and that darn zebra use to take my dad's tools out of my dad's belt, out of his tool box and off his truck any chance he could.  He use to make my dad so mad, but I could never stop laughing everytime my dad complained about him.  I met the zebra once and it was shy around me.  But not my dad, he zoomed in on my dad and seemed happy to follow him around.  Because of the zebra that job took longer than anticipated, but it was sure fun to hear about what he did each day.
Hang in there Hill, I truly think you being there when Wren passed was the best thing for him.  He loved you as much as you loved him.
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

Hill, I am so, so very sorry  crying  group hug

Wonderful Tribute to a beautiful friend.

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »

group hug  I'm so sorry.  He sounds like he was a stinker!  You sure made his last 3 years of life, stress-free and happy, though!  I'm sure he was forever grateful to be well-taken care of.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »

Hill, I ain't a horse person .. The ones I HAVE been around behaved pretty much like big dawgs..  I am sorry for  your loss  rest assured that his last years with you were the best of his life probably.   Friends come in all sizes.
  it follows that friends need need respect and rememberin' for just that.. Friendship..    big hug
Doc n' Dwarf..

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »

Hill, sorry you lost Wren.  group hug His rags to riches story really touched me. I laughed when I read he stole your windshield wiper. I've seen horses do many things but not steal a wiper. Wren was a remarkable pony for sure.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
dyan
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »

Hill...I'm so sorry! 

Dyan
KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

Sorry I missed this... group hug.  You gave him a good life and made the most of his last years, not something many horses are fortunate enough to experience.  You can just see the mischief in his eyes in that picture.  I know you loved him and will miss him.

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:00:13 PM »

group hug group hug

Awww Hill I just saw this and I am so sorry for your loss, I have had to be there when my pupper babies went to the bridge but not one of my horsey babies, I can only imagine that pain!!  Thank you for taking such wonderful care of him for his final years and know he will be there with all of our furbabies waiting for you to meet up again when it is time!!!!

Run free Wren enjoy the warmth and pastures of the bridge and feel no more pain, you will be forever loved and missed!!!!!  angel  angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster