October 17, 2017, 08:29:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minnie-the reason for Dogaddicts  (Read 11143 times)
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »

Minnie passed peacefully to the bridge this afternoon.

It was ten years ago when we found her, and emergency rescue from Fargo.  At about 3 years old, she was not well taken care of, and had never been in a house.  We were still reeling from the loss of our Kyra, and Terri just happened to be checking out the English Springer Spaniel rescue site.  She was just posted that day.

Although neither of us thought we were ready for another dog, Minnie's picture just jumped out!  She lived with a family who had no time for her.

After a couple weeks of emails and phone calls the plan was laid out.  I would drive from Wisconsin to Fargo, ND and get her.  After some discussion, the rescue girl decided to meet me half way with her.  Talk about a small world and how things in life work...i met her in the Twin Cities.  That's where Terri and I ended up moving to, some 9 years later.  Anyway...

To make our new friend comfortable,  I rented a Jeep Cherokee.  So she would have plenty of room to be comfortable on the trip back.  And what happened next set the stage for our entire time together.

I met them in some parking lot.  As i walked across the lot, our eyes met.  I just started crying.  She (as we were) waited her entire life for this moment.  IT was remarkable, we clicked from the very first second.

On the trip home, my carefully laid out plan was, well, let me just say that she refused to be anywhere in that vehicle except in an area where she could touch me.  stubborn little minnie.

i get her home, and, because she had never been in a house, i had to drag her in.  Only once.  Suffice to say she adapted.  Kind size water bed...hers.  Couch...hers.

She was so matted that she could not lift her head up all the way.  I'm not kidding.  the former owners had attempted to trim her, and she had cuts on her tummy.  it was just so sad. We took her for a bath and cut, puppy trim, and she was just about the happiest little girl you could imagine.  We have pictures of that time.

Through out the last 10 years, Terri and I have had many life changes, some pretty extreme.  Along the way, Minnie adapted to whatever was going on...far before me or Terri.  As long as we were there, she was cool with whatever happened.

Minnie is the reason we started DogAddicts.  We were truly addicted to our pal, and that's how this whole thing started.

Minnie has left an impression on every one she has met...in person or on line.  Everyone has loved to hear the Adventures Of Minnie.

About a year ago or so, our vet pedro became concerned about the muscle loss in her hip area.  we did some things.  she adapted to the situation.

My career  life changed, expanded, and we ended up moving to Minnesota.  After a bit, it became a journey to get her "home", a backyard of her own to run and be free.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the degenerative stuff just kept happening.  She adapted well.  For the last few months, we have used a towel "strap" to help her get along.  her mind and will was strong, her front legs were strong, but her back legs just gave out.

either we are stupid, or blind, but Minnie just adapted and for the most part was pretty cool about it all.

Since she could not use her back legs, we had begun looking at a dog wheel chair for her.  we were about ready to purchase.

Now, unless you have been there, you may think I am insane.  But we decided that Minnie would let us know when it was time for us to let her go.  Last night, she told us.  It was as if she actually spoke the words.  IT IS TIME.

We have been preparing for this moment for months.  Still....

Today, we had this totally fantastic vet come to our home.  we had Minnie in the backyard, a sunny day, calm winds.  Minnie had been outside for about an hour, and was more peaceful than she has been in a long time.

At about 1:45 minnie passed over to the bridge.  As she left, the wind chines in the tree starting chiming away.  Terri heard it. 

it was a peaceful, gentle experience, and she passed with her head on my leg, my hand on her neck, Terri's hand on her head,  and the vet petting her and talking her and us through it.  She left us in a manner fitting such a wonderful dog that she was.

i wanted this post to be more coherent,  more telling of the life Minnie shared with us.  I'm hoping that because you all knew and loved her, you understand that this rambling doesn't tell the whole story...but hopefully enough pieces.

We gave her everything we could for the time we shared.  We gave her a real life when she had none.  We did all we could.  We know that. 

It still hurts...

Thank you so much for the thoughts and compassion you guys have shared with us...Minnie was truly a remarkable life force.

So goodbye my sweet sweet Minnie...we have given you all we could.  But that pales in comparison to what you have given us.

here is a picture of here around noon...

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

That was a wonderful tribute to a beautiful dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.  group hug

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:47 PM »

About all I can say that means anything is I am sorry for your and Terri's loss.  As for Minnie, I think she is kinda ''on hold'' until U meet her at the bridge. big hug   Stan..

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »

group hug I'm so sorry for your loss. You had a good life together

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »

I am very sorry that you guys had to lose Minnie. I trust that you knew her well enough to know her "timing" on this one. I am glad that this was at least able to happen in an environment that was comfortable for you and for her to make it that little bit better.  group hug

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »

thanks Kim.  I knew you guys would understand what i am saying.

except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »

About all I can say that means anything is I am sorry for your and Terri's loss.  As for Minnie, I think she is kinda ''on hold'' until U meet her at the bridge. big hug   Stan..

i'm sure she is already playing with all her friends from here.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:40:13 AM by Dave » Logged

Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »

I am very sorry that you guys had to lose Minnie. I trust that you knew her well enough to know her "timing" on this one. I am glad that this was at least able to happen in an environment that was comfortable for you and for her to make it that little bit better.  group hug

yes, it was more than you could ever hope for.  It was very gentle. 

Dave

phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:10:53 PM »

I am at a loss, but bless you for being there and giving her the best 10 years a girl could ever ask for!!!!!!!

Run free and catch all those fish in the lake at the Bridge Minnie, you have fun with all of our furkids that are waiting to show you the ropes!!!  You will be forever loved and never fogotten beautiful sweet Baby Girl!!!

Bless you Dave and Terri my thoughts are sooooo with you both  group hug
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »

I keep wanting to write something........ but I just can't.

Thank you all for caring and loving her almost as much as we do. She was a special girl

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:46:43 PM »

I never knew all of Minnie's story. I'm glad I know. She was a special girl in every way. She could never have been more loved by anyone either. She had a wonderful life and it's very touching to know she went to the Bridge relaxing in her yard with its new flowers around her and her family.  group hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 12:09:24 AM »

When I got this news today my heart dropped to the floor.  I knew she was aging gracefully and you two were doing what you could for her, I remember you posting about her muscles before you found your new home.  I am so glad Minnie moved with you to your new home and spent some time there showing love to you and your love to her.  
I completely understand Minnie telling you when it is time, many of my animals have done the same.  Sometimes they told me and I did not listen when I should have.  
It is hard no matter how you look at it, how you try to prepare for the day, how you think you are going to handle it and how you really do.  big hug
If you have not read the Rainbow Bridge poem recently, I suggest to read it again soon when you are feeling you can.
http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm
I am hoping it helps you the way it helps me when I read it after I experience one of mine going to the bridge.
Dave, you wrote a beautiful life memory your lives with Minnie.  I was in tears long before I got to the end, but at the same time I could feel the joy and love Minnie brought to your lives.
Terri, you will write something when you are ready.  Give yourself time to feel sad for Minnie, give yourself time to celebrate Minnie's life with you.  Give yourself the permission to go in and out of grief and celebration over time.  There is no set timeline, there are no set rules.  You will always miss Minnie until you meet again.  You know from past experiences missing them continues on.   Believing in the Bridge makes it easier to feel and to live on.  
Minnie, in my mind you are one of the dogs that would live on forever.  I am so thankful you met with your mom and dad for the past ten years and gave them so much that they created dog addicts.  This has been a special place for me over the years I have been on here.  The people you help bring together are very important people in my life.  Some have been on longer than others, some have been more consistent than others.  Just like friends in ones life, some come in for a visit, some stay awhile and go, some stay forever and some come and go.  Minnie your life has touched so many in so many ways.  I thank you for your time with us.  angel
God Speed to Dave, Terri and Minnie! group hug  group hug  group hug
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »

I have to say..... her last treats were 2 slices of bread... 

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:27:59 AM »

The two slices of bread are helping absorb all the fish she has caught today.
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:43:56 AM »

I have to say..... her last treats were 2 slices of bread... 

So much i wanted to say and so much i forgot....

Minnie was an outside dog when we got her.  we figured out after a while that bread thrown out for the birds must have been a treat for her.

Early on, counter surfer minnie grabbed a new loaf of bread, carefully bit a whole in the plastic, and sucked the whole loaf out.

one time, honestly, she took a frozen pizza off the counter, spit out the pepperoni, and ate the crust.

Bread was always the finest of foods...

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 05:48:25 AM »

I am sitting here with tears running down my face .  All day yesterday and last night I thought of Minnie.  I hear the grief and pain in your hearts and its in mine also.  I hope Minnie has already met up with Kyra and my Ginger and is running on her four healthy legs.

Your tribute to Minnie was wonderful.  I too didn't even know her whole story.  Minnie was a truly truly lucky dog to have you both as parents.

It does hurt..and it will hurt .  I still ache over Ginger and it's been 10 yrs this July but......there comes a time when you will think of them and smile instead of cry. 

I'm with you guys today and always.......

I can't type anymore right now. group hug

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 08:17:58 AM »

I know exactly how you feel Terri, I still haven't been able to make a post about Max in the Rainbow bridge section.
In our own way we all understand.  group hug

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »

There are no words to describe how much everyone on this board will miss Minnie. She was and still is a member of this family. In a small way, I feel like I have lost one of my own dogs.

Peace and prayers for you during this difficult time.  group hug

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43:04 AM »

group hug  My heart is breaking for you, and tears fill my eyes reading your post.  Minnie was a very special dog, she brought us all together on here, through good times and bad, we've all clung together through the changes, just as she did.  May we all be half as gracious and beautiful as she was...

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »

Beautiful tribute  group hug

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
Claire
Dog Addict!

Be yourself, who else is qualified?

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 05:26:58 PM »

group hug I'm so so sorry for your loss  crying

You gave her a wonderful life, and that was a beautiful tribute to her...  run free Minnie  group hug group hug group hug

ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »

You have me in tears. Absolutely beautiful tribute. And beautiful as ever in her picture! Thank you Minnie for bringing all of us together! We wouldn't be here without her! I am so sorry for your loss. Know I'm thinking of and praying for you guys.

k9krazee (Ashley)
Willing to make signatures upon request :)
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 08:54:39 AM »

Minnie was certainly a special girl and will be missed. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad Minnie had the best ten years of her life with you two.  group hug

Ashley and Crossbone ("Miniature ACD")

Living with my parents: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTs)
RIP Kyra: 7/11/04 - 11/3/12 & Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »

crying group hug group hug crying

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »

How are you and Dave doing?  Stupid question..i know... big hug

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster