September 23, 2017, 11:30:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag          flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minnie-the reason for Dogaddicts  (Read 11072 times)
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »

DON'T READ THIS

I know when we got her, it was for a finite amount of time.  We had X amount of time to change her path, to give her a good life.  The X=10 years, we know now.

I have come to realize that a part of my pain is because I am selfish and wanted more.  There are things we can not change.  There are events we can alter, some, to change the journey but we can not change the ultimate end.  That's already been written, by God or mother nature or whatever you believe in.

We had the opportunity to be involved in this journey.  WE DONE GOOD.

Having said that, this still hurts like hell.  When do I stop saying, 'hey boo' as soon as I walk in the door?

We had some amount of time (although it's never enough) to prepare for this.  Because, deep inside, we are eternally optimistic people,  i was mentally searching for something positive.  Hey, maybe we can take some weekend trips we had not considered before.  Because if my dog ain't going, I'm not.  And I thought I AM NEVER GETTING ANOTHER DOG.  I can't take this emptiness in my heart.  But something I read in Jan's signature is making think...

I wouldn't be replacing her.  I did the best for her.  There is a place in my heart for the next being, another chance for me to alter the path...to somehow do my part to help make things right.  So maybe, someday....dunno.  But I'm not going to fight mother nature.

We are trudging through this.  It's very hard...the path Minnie cut through our lives is a wide swath. 

I told you not to read this.

Thanks for your thoughts...we love you all.

Dave

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
LisaK
Barks a Lot!

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »

I'm so very sorry.  Godspeed, pretty Minnie.
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:15 AM »

Well guess what?  I read it.  Big surprise.  Grin

Dave ...I know exactly how you feel.  When i lost Ginger I thought I would never EVER be able to adopt another dog.  Ginger was my heart dog.  We were one.  Where I was..she was.  We were so very close .  I saved her also from a life of abuse.  That poor dog didn't even know how to play when i got her.  I had to teach Ginger to play.  That to me, is so very sad.  To have to teach a dog how to play.  We also had 10 yrs together and I wanted more.  Another year..another two years...something more than i had.  But....I didn't and i had to let Ginger go for her own good.  I couldn't keep her here because I wanted her with me. She had bladder cancer that turned into bone cancer.  I had to let her go.  It was the last bit of love I could do for her. Like how you fed Minnie her beloved bread...I fed Ginger chocolate chip cookies and chipped chop ham.  Her appetite was still there but the rest of her body wasn't.  I heard my husband sob the day we had to put her down.  He told me ..no more dogs...it hurts too much.

Minnie knows you and Terri did the very best you could for her and loved her with everything you had.  You gave her everything but the most valuable thing you gave her was.....your love.  She knew that...she loved you guys with her own little heart.

It took me a little over 2 yrs to be able to adopt again after  Ginger died.  I was so very afraid.  I was terrified.  I knew that If I loved again, I would hurt again.   But I was lonely for the love only a dog can give you .  I missed having a dog in the house.  cont.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:55:35 PM by janpo1 » Logged

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »

continued....since the post wasn't letting me type..

Along came Molly.  The exact opposite of Ginger which now i know was a good thing.  I went to the shelter wanting to adopt a collie chow mix and ended up with Molly a g.shep dobie mix.  Her behavior is nothing like Gingers was.  She got into anything and everything.  As much as Ginger was a lady and didn't get into anything..Molly ate my furniture and tore up any papers she could.  Ginger and Molly do have one thing in common.  They love us and show us every day and they also make us laugh.

When I got Molly and joined here was when i wrote the sig you referred to Dave and it's true .  If i had never adopted again I would never have known these years of joy with Molly.  Just like when Kyra went to the bridge and you got Minnie.  Had you never been able to adopt again you never would have known Minnie and true you wouldn't be hurting right now , but you would have missed out on so many happy years with Minnie.

Minnie is gone from this world but never gone from your hearts.

big hug
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:04:46 PM by janpo1 » Logged

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »

I hesitated, but I read it too.  I took it as a warning to read at your own risk...
Jan, you wrote your part all out perfectly...or should I put typed out perfectly, definitely from your heart...
For me... having multiple dogs, I have not ever lost a dog without having another in my home.  I believe having another to love helps the heart heal a little easier.  I sure miss every dog I have had in my life and is now gone.  My dog Whiskey was my heart dog, I lost her about 9 to 10 yrs ago.  I do not even know the exact year.  I know I miss her more than anything, I had her 17 years and wanted her all my life.  She was the best dog in the world to me.  It took years until I got Reggie to let another dog in my heart like that again, to be a heart dog.  I love every dog I have and had.  I miss Xena all the time and feel her time with us was way too short, only 5 yrs.  I still bring up the dogs I had in my past and talk to my boys and DH about them and sometimes still shed tears over them.  Missing them so much has not ever gone away, not ever.  The pain of missing them is still deep in my heart.  Rainbow Bridge is my saviour where I can hold on to hope to see each of them again.  
Reggie opened up that deep part of my heart again to let another heart dog in.  Meakoe tried, but I always kept up a sheild.  Reggie broke thru that sheild and now Meakoe and Reggie, my two best buddies sank right in.  I see Bully did the same to my son Brandon and let Scooby Doo deeper in and Shaggy is embedded in Dustin's heart.  Odaat is very loved here too.   He has not sunk in my heart like my heart dogs have, but he is in there pretty deep.  Every dog I have in my house right now and most of them on my bed right now are loved so much, it is going to hurt way too much to say bye to any of them, but I am super happy with each of them right now and very happy each one has a place in my heart.  Anytime I am away from my home, I look forward to see each and every one of the dogs when I walk in the door.   I miss them while I work, I miss them while I am away and while I am home with them my heart overflows with love.
 group hug group hug group hug to you and Terri.  You have both fit in my heart too.  There is sure a lot of room in an organ that fits so comfortably in my chest.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:54:39 PM by Angel-Dancer » Logged
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 11:27:27 PM »

I have always said that Minnie saved me... not the other way around. When Kyra died it was so unexpected and sudden I was totally lost.
 When I found Minnie online I never thought I could love another dog like I did Kyra. Never met her....... just saw her picture and said she's the one!
Minnie became my constant companion. I didn't work much after we got her, so I was with her pretty much 24/7 or as much I could. She was my roadtrip-driving-in-the-country-roads companion. Go to the store, she was with, (short trips, I never left her in the car for long) She was with me when we would go to take care of my Mom, her job was to bring the paper in. Stole toast right out of the toaster a couple times!!
She was the first dog I taught to 'bow'  We were both so proud! She turned that around into doing it whenever she wanted something.. do the whole routine of tricks just to get a treat. She was a very smart dog. Never really liked other dogs that much, but when cousin Wendy came to visit she was the perfect hostess. I have pictures of them snuggled together on the couch.
I have so many memories that have been overwhelming me the last couple of days. She really was a special dog.
I wrote this to my sister that night. She just lost her dog on March 20th and we talk a lot, I've been helping her through her grief, so I never said anything about how Minnie was.
Guess this sums it all up.....

Today was so surreal .... that's the only way I can explain it.

The Vet was to arrive 1pm.  Minnie was agitated all night and most of the morning. She had diarrhea last night, and this morning again. Dave had to go in to work this morning, but when he came home we talked and he suggested it might be a good idea to have this done in the backyard. Nice sunny day... It was her yard after all.. one of the reasons we got this place
We took her outside and walked her around a little and then she laid down. I spent time with her last night and this morning talking to her and telling her.
Once she laid down and we were back there with her she seemed so calm.... she was resting by the Lily In the Valley by the fence..
The Vet came and Minnie just laid there.. sleeping. She raised her head and the Vet was petting her as she talked with us. Dave was on the ground by Minnie and I was in a chair. I came and sat on the ground too and all 3 of us were petting her. Just talking and Minnie was so relaxed.
She was given a sedative which took about 10 minutes to relax her.. then the other shot. Didn't flinch or anything...  she just...... stopped breathing. I saw her exhale and said .. she's gone...
Was a slight breeze and just then a little stronger one enough to get the windchimes going. I will always remember that.
The Vet checked her heart to confirm.

I have never been with any of my dogs when they have passed away.  It was so calm and peaceful. I will never forget it.

We stayed with her for awhile after.. just seemed like she was sleeping.

I miss her, but I am ok. It's not gonna be the same around here but I couldnt prolong the inevitable any longer. They say the dog lets you know when it is time........  and she did.
I really think she knew....

Thank you all for the love and support and sharing.

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 12:16:31 AM »

group hug  It was peaceful when Honey went, too.  crying  Glad you have such good memories of her!  I'll never forget the counter-surfing video or her chasing the fish in the lake.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:49 AM »

I am back into tears again.  crying
That was really nicely put Terri.  big hug I must say, I have been with most of my dogs as they past and I think the best way is having the relaxing drug first and the second to stop their heart.  It is a lot easier for me to watch and seems a lot more peaceful.  With my dog Snowflake, it was just one try, but she was so far gone she was already unconcious when she went.  When we put down my mom's dog Bear, she fought the first shot and did not seem ready to go, that tore me apart, but her organs had already started shutting down inside, she was very uncomfortable.  With Whiskey and Thunder, it was done very peacefully.  I will not have it any other way as long as I have the choice.
When or if you get another dog companion and if Minnie is buried where the dog can get to it too, you may want to put something over her grave where the dog cannot dig it up.  We decided not to have anymore animals buried in our yard due to the dogs digging them up.  It was too hard on us and DH had to rebury them before I saw a thing.  One of my dad's dogs dug up his heart dog buried in his back yard, it tore him up when that happened.  Dude was my dad's constant companion.  He finally put something on top of Dude's grave so the dog would quit digging it up.  I have Thunder and Lucy cremated, Xena died so suddenly I had her body taken to the shelter.  I could not have her body weight all night for cremation, nor could I have her buried and any dog dig her up.  I know she is with my mom now, I feel that in my bones.
Minnie had the best life with you and Dave for the rest of her life.  She could not have asked for better parents.   group hug group hug group hug
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »

She is being cremated. She will come back home Thursday. 
My sister's BF is making a nice box to put the ashes in. He made one for Apollo (their dog)

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2011, 01:16:24 AM »

That is really nice.  I have ceramic paw prints of Thunder and Lucy too from the cremation place.  I cherish their paw prints. luvsmile
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2011, 05:29:10 AM »

What wonderful memories you have of Minnie.  No one can ever take those away.

I wasn't with Ginger when she passed.  I let her down.  I thought i could be but i couldn't.  Ginger also was sent to the bridge in our back yard.  She's buried out there.  I truly thought i could be with her but in the end , my husband was and that's when he sobbed. I hope Ginger doesn't think I let her down.

Janet..you mentioned about you never losing a dog without another one in your home.  I believe it's different when you have more than one dog in your home and when you only have one.  I've only had one.  That does not make someones love any less because they have more in their home.  It only means that the other dogs in their home still needs fed , walked and love so it's more of a distraction than when there's only one in the house.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »

Beautiful Terri.  group hug

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »

I think having another dog in the home may make the initial hit of grief a little easier to handle. 
I have not ever replaced any dog I have lost, but I have added many others.  My dogs are my salvation in so many ways.  I know I am someone who will have dogs the rest of my life like my mom did.  I will more than likely always have multiple dogs, although I do not always need a full pack.  That is just makes my heart happier. 
Dogs are so special, they grant us comfort, happiness and beautiful life time memories. luvsmile
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

jeez...my 2nd day back on dog addicts and Im tearing up again. Oh Terri, I just want to give you a big hug!  group hug

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

That is the hard part about being virtual, it is harder to give hugs when others we care about are hurting. group hug
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 05:52:33 PM »

We got Minnie's ashes back today.

The Vet included a very nice hand written note with them. Was very nice of her...

Minnie is home with us where she belongs.  angel

Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »

group hug

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »

Oh I remember getting the ashes was tough for me on my dogs.  I cried all over again.  Big hugs to you two... group hug group hug group hug
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 06:10:57 AM »

And Minnie will never leave you again..... group hug

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »

group hug

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »

Terri, it sounds like you did all you could and did it very well. Minnie was a blessed girl. I love the part of the wind chimes. group hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »

Strange the things that bother me now... An empty peanut butter jar and less and less hair in the vacuum canister

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »

AAAAWWWW Terri, sending you big gigantic  group hug group hug group hug
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

group hug

GretylsMom
Barks a Lot!

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 02:03:46 AM »

I am so, so sorry...  Minnie will be waiting at the Bridge for you! 

After reading through all of this thread I read the following line and knew you had the same
wonderful relationship with Minnie as I do with my Phoebe, who saved me too!  And so I wanted
to share this wonderful "poem" someone sent to me to let me know that Phoebe knew I was hers,
she just had to get me to understand it, too!   

big hug

I have always said that Minnie saved me... not the other way around. I really think she knew....

I Rescued A Human Today      By Janine Allen

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor, peering apprehensively into the kennels.

I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.

I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldnít be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.

I didnít want her to know that I hadnít been walked today.

Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didnít want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card, I hoped that she wouldnít feel sad about my past.

I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someoneís life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.

I would promise to keep her safe.

I would promise to always be by her side.

I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.

So many more are out there who havenít walked the corridors.

So many more to be saved.

At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Hugs to you both,
Missy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster