October 19, 2019, 08:04:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ghost     danceskel       dancing pumpkins     danceskel     ghost

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"  (Read 4515 times)
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:21 AM »

I'm so sorry Lissa.

I'm sure at the right time the right dog will come into your life.  group hug
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:25 AM »

I realize that this is a tough time for a lot of us, and that it might not be the ideal time to resurrect an old Rainbow Bridge thread... I trust that you guys will understand, though, that you're the only people who knew Kahaus and I well enough for me to entrust my grief to...

I've been thinking about my teddy bear dog a lot lately. I'm glad that I had the time that I had with him, but it definitely wasn't a restful, peaceful time to say goodbye. I took too many credits at school; I was going to two schools and working at the same time, and I was coming home to at least one bloody or diarrhea mess per week. I didn't realize just how off Kahaus was, how far from his normal, restive self, during that time until I looked at some photos. My old roommate took the last photos I have (erm, had) of Kahaus, from just a couple of days before he was put down. She took them when she was saying her goodbyes. I got them long after she took them, and I deleted them as soon as I looked at them. He looked so skinny and miserable. His eyes were lifeless. He was in obvious pain. I just didn't want to remember him like that.

I felt so bad that I wasn't able to make him more comfortable in his last few months. He spent most of his time outside because he was so bloody and pus-covered that I couldn't have him in on my roommate's carpets (this whole ordeal gave me a renewed appreciation for laminate and hardwood floors...). I feel like a lot of the work that I did to increase his trust, his sociability, and decrease his shyness went right out the window in his last months. I had attempted to rehome him when I had to move into the school dorms during a housing emergency, thinking that I would be there for a while. However, he repeatedly tried to escape his new owners' yard and was attacked by their other dog, whom he did not get along with. He was separated from me for a total of eight months between his time boarding with his breeder and the time he spent in his "new home." They gave him back, and I went house-hunting, because we were miserable without each other. When I got him back, he didn't trust me not to leave him anymore, which broke my heart. He was back to being the anxious, insecure dog that I had worked so hard to bring out of his shell when I first got him. His being in the backyard was made all the worse by the fact that he freaked out at any physical barrier between us; he was only happy and secure if we were in the same room at all times. Granted, he didn't try to claw out of my room like he did when he was three (and nearly destroyed my bedroom door... remember that fiasco?), so he must have had some sense that my daily disappearances to work and school were not permanent.

We did have some good times during that period, though. For a brief time, we had a third roommate, whose best friend had a speech-impaired son. When my roommate and her friend hung out, the friend's son often wandered into my room. He always wanted me to read to him; he never card if there were pictures or not, I had to read to him. And he LOVED Kahaus. As a three year old, and about three inches shorter than K, he was afraid of him at first, but I always made KK lie down when he came into the room, and when K wasn't taller than him, he thought the big doggie (or, with his speech impediment, "cha-chie") was the best thing since sliced bread. It was super cute; whenever this kid--shorter than my dog!--left the room, he would say, "Cha-chie, come!" and Kahaus would trail behind him obediently. He always wanted Kahaus next to him when I read to him. We also had this playground across the street, and he and Kahaus would go down the twin slides together. Kahaus wasn't thrilled with this arrangement (he never liked feeling unsteady on his feet), but he followed along because I asked him to. Kahaus got tired out before I did, and I got tired out before the little boy did!

Right now I am living with my parents--transitional, as I am trying to find a place closer to school and work than my last place, which was on the opposite side of town; also, I have (minor) surgery next week and need to be at my folks' while my mom takes care of me--while I look for an apartment and a roommate. I want to live in a place that will let me have a dog, as I think I am ready for another one now. Most apartments here have either weight or breed restrictions; few have both. I know that, much as I love them, I cannot afford another big, male Berner (or big, male anything for that matter) right now. I can afford a small or a medium sized dog. Depending on what I can find apartment-wise, I may adopt a pittie, or another medium sized mix. I'm not much of a small dog fan, but my grandma does have one Cairn that I like. She didn't turn out for showing, so Grandma has been talking about finding her a pet home. She is (sorry, KivaLuver...) the only Cairn that I really like. I don't get along with the other ones, but she had an "oops" litter one December when I was living there and she and her pups got to stay in my room with a blanketed crate and a powerful space heater; I took care of them while it was too cold elsewhere in the house for them to survive, and she and I grew on one another. She goes crazy whenever I am over visiting. She is painfully shy and crawls around on all fours a lot, so she would need some work to help build her confidence, but I am thinking of asking my grandma if I can have her. I may end up living with a devout Muslim friend for a few months, so, depending on how housing works out, it may be a few months before I get her, but I think she may be the next ones for me.

But, yeah, that's where I'm at these days... Thanks for reading. Smiley

God bless,
Lissa

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »

group hug Lissa.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.  Sounds like Kahaus was an awesome friend to that little boy.

You have many many good memories of him, try to focus on those and not the last painful ones. I think a Cairn would be a great dog for you!

group hug and keep us posted on how you are doing. I hope the surgery is nothing serious........
Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »

Thanks, Terri. The surgery is nothing too serious. I have some tissue on my lower back that has been getting repeatedly infected and painful for the past year. The doctor said that it is a fairly common type of infection (antibiotics made it go away only temporarily twice now) and that it just needs to be removed with a minor surgical procedure. It'll take all of 30 minutes and average recovery time is one week.

How are you holding up? group hug

DigiKahaus

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:19 PM »

holding up ... Lissa ...  group hug
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »

Wow Lissa... I am very glad you still post on here and depend on your friends here on DA. 
You and Kahaus definitely had an unbeatable bond and I am very glad he was with you for the last parts of his life.
What are you doing for school and work now if you get the Cairn or another dog?  Are you able to take classes online?  I have a few friends doing it that way from home.
I remember moving back with my mom several times after I went out on my own.  By the time I was 25 yrs old I finally stayed away from living at home, but I depended on my mom's support until the day she died.  It is nice to have that closeness.  I still depend on my dad's support and of course my sister.
I hope it all works out for you and maybe the cairn will too.  Keep us up to date.  I have only met one cairn in person and I fell in love with his bouncy vivarant personality.  His owner has a female now too who is a lot calmer than her male, but they are both happy go lucky dogs.
Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »

I am working full-time and going to school part-time. It sounds like a lot, but I actually have quite a bit of free time each day and I am far less busy than I was in the last bit of Kahaus's life. I only take two classes each term. The only real thing that I need to figure out before making the dog decision is my commute time because thus far my lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong commute to work and school from home is what takes the most time from me; that's part of why I am wanting to move. School and work don't really prevent me from having a social or home life; it's the fact that I am always on the bus. Tongue I still don't know if it will work out, but we will see what God has in store.

Tessie is my Grandma's Cairn that I like. She is not the typical, spunky Cairn personality. She is more calm and cuddly (I don't do well with aloof animals! I want cuddlers!) and, as I said, EXTREMELY submissive. I might be a terrible Cairn owner, though, as I hate the oily feeling of the unbathed coat; I would definitely bathe her and frequently! (Plus, I live in a climate where it rains a lot, so keeping her coat dry in not really realistic...)

It would be nice to have a small dog because it would suit my two main forms of transportation. Public transit here requires that pets who board ride in carriers, which is significantly easier with a small dog; and when riding my bike I could get her a small pet basket or backpack, or I could hook her into my bike trailer! (Kahaus HATED the bike trailer... lol)

DigiKahaus

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »

You have slowed down your schedule quite a bit. phew  You may even have time to think now. Grin
I always had medium size to large dogs all my life before I got my first little dog in college.  Ever since than I have had all size dogs.  What I enjoy about the small dogs is being able to carry them around with me.  I often take Reggie to Walgreens with me inside the store.  I go to two stores on my part of town and the employees at both stores look forward to seeing Reggie.  The boys have walked to Walgreens while on summer break and they take turns bringing Scooby Doo or Shaggy with them. 
Meakoe is too heavy to carry around, but he still gets to go more places than the big dogs get to go to due to his size.
We will always have big dogs too.  We like the message they give to intruders. peepwall
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster