October 19, 2019, 07:37:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ghost     danceskel       dancing pumpkins     danceskel     ghost

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"  (Read 4514 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »

We put my teddy bear boy down today. Sad

He was sick for about six months, with the vet and I running in circles and tearing our hair out trying to figure out what was going on. He had uncontrollable diarrhea several times a week, and for about two or three weeks it was bloody. His weight fluctuated like crazy, even dropping to twenty pounds below his average with me feeding him 3x his normal amount. Toward the end he was having sporadic bloody, pussy skin infections that would bleed and bleed and bleed. I came home from work on Saturday night and my room looked like an animal sacrifice had taken place; it was covered in blood, Kahaus was red, his kennel was filled with blood. My friend and I took him to the e-vet and was told that he was anemic after having bled out for 1.5 hours. That was his fourth such episode in the past month. It was determined that his symptoms looked like hemangiosarcoma, which is what his littermate recently died of; it hinders clotting. He was acting interested in food, but had to be coaxed to eat more than a couple of bites. He looked really skinny; his flanks were withered and his ribs protruded.

I made the decision this weekend; he was going downhill fast, and even if I could have prolonged his life, I couldn't keep him inside because of the bleeding. He hated being outside. He always freaked out at any sort of physical barrier between him and I. I cleaned him up as best I could and we went to the vet's. It was quicker than I expected; he went very fast. I cried, but I don't think that the shock has really hit me yet. I am okay for now. I really appreciate the prayers and support of my family and friends; it has been very helpful.

Just thought you would all want to know.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »

Lissa.. I am so very sorry. My thoughts are with you.  group hug

RIP Kahaus, we'll miss you. 
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »

When I saw the topic of this thread, I had to take a moment before I could open it. I don't know what to say other than I'll keep you in my thoughts and meditations tonight. I'm terribly sorry Kahaus became so sick and you had to make this decision.  group hug

Lissa, again I am very saddened over this.  group hug

RIP, Kahaus.  rainbow

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Claire
Dog Addict!

Be yourself, who else is qualified?

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:09 AM »

I'm so sorry for your loss  group hug

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:15:18 AM »

I am so very very sorry.

RIP Dear Kahaus

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »

group hug When they go fast like that (at the vet's I mean) I think its there way of letting us know we are making the right decision and they are at peace and know they can give in. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »

I'm very sorry for you loss.  I loved Kahaus and he will be greatly missed.   group hug
Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »

Been busy and ain't been on in a few..  My computer died..  I am sorry to read of your buddy's passing.

big hug..  The time comes for us all and all things..         Doc.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »

RIP you beautiful boy, run free at the bridge and never have to feel anymore pain or sickness.  You will be missed  angel and loved forever!!!!!

So sorry for your loss  group hug
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:25:25 AM »

Oh Lissa, when I saw this thread my heart dropped.  I am so sorry for you losing your baby boy. I feel strongly you made the right decision for him, I think he does too especially since he went so quickly and peacefully.  He can now feel your love without all the pain he had from his aching body.  He loves you Lissa and he will be awaiting for you at the bridge. rainbow  No hurry now, he is feeling good and happy making new furry friends.  He loves you and is very glad you were such a big part of his life.  I understand how the shock feels protecting you for awhile.  It is very hard missing the ones you love so much.  Hang in there and keep in touch with us.  We still want you here.  group hug group hug group hug
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »

I think my heart stopped beating for a few seconds when I saw his name. I am soooooooooooooooooooo sorry.
 group hug group hug group hug group hug

KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 08:58:56 AM »

group hug  You did the right thing, Lissa, even though it hurts.  RIP Kahaus...

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »

group hug

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:06 AM »

Lissa, I am wondering how you are doing.  If you pop in here please let us know and keep us posted.
Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 05:06:10 AM »

Thank you for all of the support and thoughts, Terri, KivaLuver, Janet, Doc, Sally, Dawn, Kim, Jan, Claire, KDN, and iloveshepherds (and, on facebook, Emily). It means a lot.

It's been bittersweet.

It had been a stressful six months trying to keep everything together to get to keep Kahaus with him being so sick and balancing school (I took too many credit hours this semester; it was more than I could handle with everything else going on). My roommate/landlady was very gracious and understood the situation, but I still felt bad coming home to diarrhea or blood on the carpets at least once a week after having promised her that he never has accidents in the house unless he is sick (because he never did!). Unfortunately, he just happened to get really sick right as I moved in to this place. Sometime this month I will be having the carpets professionally cleaned for the second time in the six months that I have been here.

So, in the way of the stress--not knowing what was wrong with Kahaus or when the next diarrhea/blood episode was going to happen--I have been relieved. And I know that he must be relieved, too; I don't claim to know whether our dogs will be at the Resurrection or not, but, conscious or unconscious, KK is no longer feeling any pain.

But I definitely miss having him around. I miss having him laying at my feet when I sit on the front porch (we have this great covered front porch...) while I sit and read and drink hot cider. I miss having him "tuck me in" (he didn't like to sleep on my bed all night because it got too warm, but he would jump up right before we went to sleep and I would pet him for a while; then he would jump off and sleep the rest of the night on the floor). I miss having a gargantuan dog at my side in this rough neighborhood. He was cowardly as could be, but none of the creepy guys frequenting the strip clubs near my house needed to know that. Toward the end, I felt like I had the mother-of-a-newborn syndrome going on with Kahaus; I slept soundly through a shooting that was a block and a half away from my house, but if KK so much as whined, I was up.

The day after he was put down, my roommate's friend dropped off her dog for roomie and I to dog sit until January 3rd, and the dog has been sleeping in my room, so I haven't had to deal with too many lonely nights yet. Still, I think that I need to set some limitations for myself, or I will rush off and get a puppy too soon or something. At this point, I think that I would like to get an adult, 50-ish pound pit bull from a local shelter either during my spring or summer break. That'll give me at least one term at my new school to make sure that I can give another dog the proper amount of time and save up some money for incidentals. Having a smaller dog will allow for easier access to public transportation and movement in my bike trailer, while I think fifty will still satisfy a big dog lover like me. Smiley Plus, a pit will still make the creep dudes think twice (and most of the shelter dogs around here are pits and pit mixes, anyway).

So, yeah, that's where I am at for now. I had KK cremated and I didn't ask for any ashes back. I'm not someone who is terribly attached to having ashes around (I think it is a bit much, really... human or animal). I prefer to flip through the pictures that I have. My mom is going to make me a bracelet with some pictures in handmade resin beads, one of them being of Kahaus.

DigiKahaus

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 07:38:31 AM »

It sounds like you're handling things about as well as anyone could who has had to experience this.  group hug

Regarding dogs and the after life, having obtained my degrees in religion I can attest that most major religions, including Christianity, don't give any thought to animals having souls or spirits (except for some Eastern Religions and animistic religions) being the religions are human centric. Personally, I think it amazingly presumptuous and egotistical for humans to believe only they exist after death and there is nothing in the Bible to suggest animals don't. To believe the Creator cares only for people I think is a major flaw in humans. I won't go so far as to say animals participate in a Resurrection but I do believe their spirits live on after death. Personally, I believe Kahaus lives on in spirit and is waiting to meet up with his humans again.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »

Very well said Kivaluver.  I have strong Christian beliefs and I definitely feel animals have souls and we do meet them when we go.  It would be too hard to say our connection is just earth bound.  It is too strong just like between humans.   Lissa you sound like you are thinking things thru pretty soundly.  I commend you for that.  I believe it is easier emotionally to have another dog or something to care for after losing such a close furbaby.  Maybe that is why I have 6, but I am in different circumstances than you are where I can have 6.  A pit or pit bull mix sounds great.  We have a boxer mix who may be mixed with pit, I am not sure.  We have only had him about a month, but he has the gentlest soul and is very protective over the boys.  I love that about him.  Please keep in touch here and find me on Facebook too.  I will PM you my FB info so you can find me.
Hang in there girl!  And if your heart brings in another animal before your brain says it is okay, let it be, it may just be what the Lord ordered.  group hug  angel  group hug  angel
Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »

I'm just now seeing this.  I am so sorry for your loss Sad  Kahaus lived a long, good life with you.  You did right by him.  It is such a hard decision to make, even when you know it's time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you  group hug

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
Mikey
Forever exploring...
Dog Addict!

Country Fan

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 11:59:44 PM »

I was just looking for a Kahaus update only to find this tragic news.  crying I am so sorry for your loss.  group hug Please accept my deepest condolences and may your sweet boy RIP.

RIP Sassy: Dec. 26th 1997-June 13, 2008
Forever loved
Mikey-5 year old pug/beagle mix
Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »

Remus, my grandma's Berner boy that she gave to my cousin, was put down recently due to suspected cancer, as well. He was not able to stand up anymore. Sad

I've really been missing having a dog lately. I had to move back in with my parents for a while when transferring schools temporarily screwed up my financial aid, but I am looking at apartments... I'm hoping to get a place on the other side of town. That would have the advantages of placing me significantly closer to work, closer to school, closer to the immigrant communities in my area that speak the languages I am studying, and potentially allowing me to have a dog again. (My former roommate, understandably, said no more dogs after the stress of dealing with Kahaus's illness for 6 months.) We'll see how things pan out, I guess...

DigiKahaus

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »

Young lady..  I am right proud of the way you are handling this..  If you got a heart it ain't EVER easy to
say ''later buddy'' to a true friend.  As Layne mentioned, Christianity don't dwell on the subject of animals
in the afterlife to any amount. The thing is he also said that they are not denied either.  I also did not do anything special with Old Mauser's remains. I let the vet take care of that.  I found out later from a vet tech
that most of the time they were just put in the dumpster. Some of the bigger citys do ''other things'' with the remains.
  Now I got a Garden of Respect in my back yard.

With about all religions part of the rewards for being what you should be includes some sort of afterlife.
  U are supposed to get a whole pile of virgins or float on a cloud. maybe reincarnated. gain the seventh level of something.  get a 57 chevy..    The whole point is you are supposed to be happy forever after.
  If it takes the presence of an old friend to be happy... Bet on it..  I am..  there HAS to be a Rainbow Bridge
or something similar. 
  I am not apoligising for my beliefs but this ain't ment to step on any religious toes. just a common sense approach.
  One day you will be stuck with a big old pup and wonder what you did to deserve this....  'nother match'made.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Berner_girl
Staff Writer

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »

Thanks, Doc. Smiley

DigiKahaus

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 11:36:40 PM »

Sorry to know Remus has gone to the Bridge.

Things will work out for you and seem headed in a good direction. Someday the perfect dog you need will find you.  big hug

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »

You keep heading in the direction that is best for you and the rest will fall into place.  It is very hard to lose one of your own and feel the pain again when another goes.  I am glad you had Kahaus again til the end.  I think you will make a difference in another dog's life again and the dog will make a great difference in your life too.
You are wise and have a good head on your shoulders.  Keep doing what is best for you.  group hug big hug group hug
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:17 AM »

I'm so sorry.  big hug

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster