October 25, 2014, 01:12:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: yappie dog    bark trky1    yappie dog

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On the fence on this one...  (Read 2200 times)
Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« on: November 26, 2010, 03:52:21 PM »

Okay, by now a little over the fence.  If we can get Odaat and Bully to be nice to each other Bully will proly be part of our family.
Bully belongs to my friend who recently moved into a smaller home.  She use to have a front and back yard where she could keep Bully separated from her other dog Rocky.  Rocky, a pit bull, bullies Bully who is an older boxer.  Bully does not have any mean bones in his body.  When my friend moved a couple of weeks ago she wanted me to take Bully after I lost Xena.  DH and I both said no.  Yesterday we spent Thanksgiving at my friends house and Bully warmed up to DH.  My friends mom talked to DH about taking Bully home and DH talked to me.  Well, I was on the fence until Bully cuddled with me on the couch.  luvsmile
My biggest issue is Odaat with other dogs.  He is a bully too.  We brought Odaat over last night and Odaat surprisingly did better than I thought, but he growled at Bully and scared him away.  I kept them separate after that, so I still do not know.  Odaat was more agressive to one of the other dogs there who is a female, but she was agressive to Odaat first and he reacted.  I told my friend we will have to get the two together on neutral property without other dogs around and see how they do. 
Here is a pic of Bully I took yesterday with my phone when he was sitting next to me on the couch.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »

Poor guy... how old is he?
 I think it's a good idea to introduce them on neutral ground. I'd hate to see him get beat up by another dog.  Sad

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

somewhere I am depriving a village of an idiot !!

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »

Hope it works out..   Doc. woof

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

We are guessing he is not too old, proly between 5-7 yrs old based on the tarter on his teeth.  He acts young, has a lot of energy and that tail is one heck of a whipper snapper.  It hurts.  My Whiskey girl had a tail like that. 
We took Odaat over again tonight without any other dogs around.  Odaat was much better behaved, no puffed hair, but a few growls.  Than we took both for a walk on neutral ground.  They did great.  They sniffed together, sniffed each other, Odaat growled one time and after that chilled out.  When we put Bully back in his yard, he tried to leave with us and squeaked when we left.  My friend and I decided tomorrow we will try another walk together and bring Bully on my street and see how they do.  Bully has a whole pack to meet, but if he gets by Odaat the rest of the pack will be a lot more accepting of him too.  We are taking it a little at a time, but I would like if Bully stays here permanently that we have at least one full day with him in the house before going to work.  We will see how tomrorow goes.  Oh and the other good thing he is already neutered.  turkey

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:58:53 PM »

I don't see the need to cause stress to an older dog by having it moved to a new home with a grumpy housemate. It's awesome they thought of you and you would make a great mom for Bully but it sounds like less than ideal for him.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »

For us the hardest part is the introductions.  If we can get pass this he will fit in the pack without a problem. The introductions have actually gone better than expected so far.  Any dog that may come into our household would have to go thru this process.  The part I like about this situation, if we take in Bully, I like that we can do it slowly and be more certain before keeping him home.  He likes Odaat so far, and likes us.  Reggie got along with him yesterday and they played some.  I haven't committed him to our house yet, and I have not given up either.  We will see how the introductions go.  Bully is already use to cats and other animals which is good too.  He actually lives with a cat now that attacks him.  Bully is not an alpha.  Any dog that comes into our pack has a chance of making it or not.  I think that is true with any pack.  We will see what transpires tomorrow and take it further on a decision.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »

Tonight is Bully's first night at home.  He has been introduced to all the dogs and both cats.  Scooby Doo gave him the hardest time and like most pack behaviour when one gets excited others do too.  Odaat did act as a bully toward Bully on his own turf a few times when Scooby Doo reacted.  Otherwise Odaat has been cool.  Everyone else has been good so far, Meakoe even bullied Odaat away when Odaat was puffing up to Bully.  Odaat and Bully made more noise than anything else.  At one point they were apart from each other sounding like they were tearing each other up.  That was all in our meeting in our front yard with introductions to every one else. 
Brandon has been with me for all the meetings between the dogs, the walks the last couple of days and introductions in the front yard tonight.  He has claimed Bully has his own.  Bully has responded well to Brandon.  That makes the boys even with a big dog and small dog each.  Dustin has Odaat and Shaggy and now Brandon has Bully and Scooby Doo. 
I made a bed for Bully on the bottom bunk in Brandon's room.  I took an old sleeping bag and put it on the bed for him to sleep on, Odaat has his spot on the floor in his own bed.  So far it has been peaceful in there.  I will help Brandon take everyone out for potty before bed, hopefully that will go well.  I expect tomorrow to go better than tonight and I am glad I had time with Odaat with Bully before taking him home.  I think that helped.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »

I'm glad it's going so well!  Hope everyone has a nice relaxing night.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »

I got up a couple times in the middle of the night to check on Bully and Odaat.  They were sleeping fine.  Bully stayed on his bed all night and Odaat stayed on his.  This morning Brandon let the dogs out for potty and Odaat had to pee where ever Bully did.  The energy is a lot calmer between the pack today than yesterday which I was expecting.  Still some adjustment time needed, but so far they seem to be falling into place.  Not yet sure how I will handle leaving the dogs alone tomorrow, I may crate bully until Brandon gets home from school.  We will see.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »

Guess you aren't on the fence anymore...  Grin

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »

I hope it all continues to go well!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:17:22 PM »

Yeah I think I fell off the fence.  As everyone knows I am good at falling. grinsno
Bully is home and all is going pretty good so far. 
We introduced them to the back yard.  Odaat was a bully dog for a little bit, but settled down.  Just finished cleaning the yards and feeding the dogs, so Odaat and Bully are hanging out in the back for now while the little ones eat.  He ate really good. 
We went to Petco and got Bully an ID tag.  In the next couple of weeks I will make a vet appt for him too.  Gotta get him licensed in my name.
I am also doing laundry, I am drying the fleece blankets I use for the dogs for beds so he will have a warm cozy one for tonight on his sleeping bag.  Maybe I will kick him out of his bed and cuddle up myself.
We did take a little nap together earlier, I had my usual, Reggie and Meakoe by me, along with Scooby Doo and Bully in DHs half of the bed. Snolaugh

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »

Ahhhhh now i found it! 

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:11 PM »

Today went good.  We left Bully in Brandon's room and I still worried all day so DH took the long drive home at lunch to check on all the dogs and everybody was fine.  When Brandon got home I called and checked on the dogs, and Odaat was licking Bully in the face.  He is still giving subtle dominant hints, but we are knocking them out as noticed. Sno cool
SNOW COOL, that is funny.
There was a black cat at my friends house that attacked Bully on a regular basis, so Bully has totally ignored our grey cat and has chased our black cat all over the house.  He is going to have to adjust to this black cat not out to attack him.  Kinda funny, but not. 

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »

clapping I'm glad everything went good today! Well.. except for the black cat syndrome.....  xmasshake

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

I just came in my room caught Bully chasing our black cat Maxie.  He was not as determined tonight, he just chased her and backed off when I yelled at him.  That is an improvement over last night when his eyes and focus were glued to Maxie and anywhere she hid.  All will work out, just have a few kinks to get thru.

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »

what a cute addition to your family! He is a cutie!! glad to hear he is getting along with everyone too.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 01:45:15 PM »

Thanks, Bully is working out really well in our house hold. That whippy tail he has really hurts, but the rest of him is working out well.  The rest of the pack of settled down to normal around him, Bully is still finding his niche, but is figuring it out.
He even barked at the mail man yesterday and chased him away.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster