August 20, 2014, 11:33:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many?  (Read 3482 times)
Kymcole25
puppy

Keegan

« on: January 06, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »

Alrighty, well I haven't been around in a long time. So I figured I'd stop in here, since this part of the board is probably where I fit in best.

I actually have a couple questions, most of which have probably been answered before.

1. How many dogs do you guys have?!

2. How many would you say is too many?

I personally have 13 dogs, and trust me everyone around here thinks we're crazy because of it.

Kim and The Gang!
Shelby, Kylie, Zoe, Kassia, Jagger, Keegan,
Cooper, Luka, Nicky, Lacee, Kambry,  Kanon, & Ava.
Missing our baby boy, Bleu.
Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:58:52 PM »

I have 7 dogs, I feel I have too many.  I know I am at my limit.  6 are rescue babies.  I love each and everyone of them and wish I could take in more. 
I feel I have too many because it can be very overwhelming too me to care for each and every one them as I think they should be cared for.  They are well kept, indoor outdoor dogs, they are all spoiled rotten, they get vet care as needed, get their vaccinatations and such, but it is hard to keep up with them all.  If my dad was not so good at veteranary care for minor situations, teaching me to vaccinate etc... there would be no way I could afford this many.  It is also hard if I want to go on a vacation, or even go somewhere for a weekend, I cannot just pack them up and go too easily.  I have to make other arrangements, so I rarely try.
On the other hand, a day without any one of them in my life would be very sad, and I know as the older dogs go to rainbow bridge, I will rescue more.  So, it is a choice I make with a little bit of insanity.
I do not think any number of dogs are too many as long as they are well taken care of.  If they are a burden to take care of, then that family or person should not have so many.
I think you having 13 dogs is great.  I am glad you can take care of so many and enjoy them.  They are beautiful and look well taken care of.  I know you mentioned you and your family show and breed.  Under those circumstances that is great you can do that.  I think there is room for reputable breeders.  I do not agree with back yard breeders or accidental breeders.  That is where spaying and neutering is a necesity.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »

Five now.

Had 14, and that's too many for two working people.

I know for me that one is too few.

"How many" really is a relative term. It depends on how many you can afford, and how much time you have to properly care, train, and interact with the dog(s). It also depends on how many housemates are participating in the dogs' care.

And, if someone is involved in breeding and/or showing, I don't think that is an automatic exemption on care and interaction. I know WAY too many breeders/exhibitors that have WAY too many dogs, and try to justify it by saying they're breeding for a specific gene, or "I'll find him a home when he's a champion", or whatever. I don't like those concepts, and I don't think they're fair to the dogs.  

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Kymcole25
puppy

Keegan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »

And, if someone is involved in breeding and/or showing, I don't think that is an automatic exemption on care and interaction. I know WAY too many breeders/exhibitors that have WAY too many dogs, and try to justify it by saying they're breeding for a specific gene, or "I'll find him a home when he's a champion", or whatever. I don't like those concepts, and I don't think they're fair to the dogs.

I too think that is rediculous. Yes, my mom and I do breed and show, but the dogs health comes before showing. It doesn't matter if we have paid entry fees, and made the trip to the show if something is wrong we pull out of the show. Also, once a new dog comes into our home, he or she stays for good. Our dogs are members of our family, and I could never live with giving a family member away because he or she is old, retiered, or spayed. Out of 13 dogs, 8 have been spayed/neutered for various health reasons. All are indoor dogs, and sleep in our beds with us at night. We give all shots, except rabies, ourselves.

Kim and The Gang!
Shelby, Kylie, Zoe, Kassia, Jagger, Keegan,
Cooper, Luka, Nicky, Lacee, Kambry,  Kanon, & Ava.
Missing our baby boy, Bleu.
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »

I have 7  thud  Angel is a chow/catahoula mix, Gus a lab/basset mix, Sable a pomeranian/mostly chihuahua mix, Moose and Odie, both probably dachshund/chihuahua mixes, Poppy probably mostly poodle/chihuahua mix, and Queenie, probably a poodle. I would have said 6 was my limit, but my vet had Queenie, who is probably 14 and obviously neglected, he had been trying for 6 weeks to find someone or a rescue group to take her, and when he told me her story I brought her home. It does help that he is doing all her vet care for free, I have had some big bills with Sable (14) and Gus (11) over the last year, even with the breaks he gives me.

My dogs all get along very well. They know I am the pack leader. I also have a good setup in my home which makes their care easy.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

I do agree some breeders are like that and are not reputable breeders.  It definitely sounds like you guys are responsible dog owners, breeders and have the best interest for the dogs.  When you are in that world, you have probably seen the good, the bad and the ugly of breeding and showing.  It is in everything.  My family races and breeds horses.  We too have seen the good, bad and ugly.  I would be ashamed if my dad was an irresponsible horse owner and breeder.  There are many who give the whole idea of it all a bad reputation and those of us who are reputable pay for their mistakes as well.  I do not talk to many about the bad I see in the horse business, but I do see it.  It breaks my heart and I wish all the horses could be taken care of like my dad does and some other owners, and trainers do.  My dad just took back a horse we retired and thought went to a great home.  Found the horse not being taken care of and he is back in our care.  He is now doing a lot lot better.  My dad has taken on many horses, rescued them, got them to great health and found new homes for them.  Many were in racing and many were not.  
The concept does not matter if it is a dog, horse, cat, guinea pig, or whatever.  Humans are also put in bad situations and abused.  It is all about responsibility and how it is handled.
PS when I posted my dogs were indoor outdoor, I meant they all spend time with both indoors and outdoors.  None of my dogs are just outdoors.
Now DH on the other hand, he is about to stay outdoors all the time and if he has good behavior, he may get some dog house space.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:59:22 PM by Angel-Dancer » Logged

snugglbutt
Barks a Lot!

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:28:11 PM »

We have 4 dogs, and they are indoor/outdoor as well.  Meaning they spend time indoors and out.  For me, it's to many.  Not so much to many but to many pit bulls.  They're seriously active dogs.  LOL  All are rescues.  One was a stray, 2 were pound puppies and one was given to us before she could be sold to be fought.  Two were supposed to be adopted out (we foster on occassion), but were returned after the adoptions.  We took Boomer back because his adopter was moving in with her boyfriend, who didn't want Boomer in the house.  His plan was to put Boomer on a chain in the yard so that he wouldn't shed in the house and wouldn't ruin the landscaping.   thud 

Loki's our old lady, and hubby and I have agreed that after she's gone we won't be getting any more dogs for a long time.  They're great dogs, but we don't have a great setup (wall to wall carpet throughout the house  YUCK), and it's almost impossible to give them all the exercise and attention they need.  I work full time and hubby works offshore, so it's pretty much all on me to care for our daughter, the 4 dogs, the parrot, the cat and the guinea pig...plus work full time.  But, everyone's happy and healthy.
Babylu
puppy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »

I currently have 9 dogs and they are all healthy and happy.  I work part-time, so I'm home with them a lot.  I take them on walks and I also have a double fenced-in yard.  I live out in the country and have a large area fenced-in and also a smaller area that's fenced with netting over the top to prevent birds of prey from swooping down and taking off with one of my dogs.  They get fed a premium dog food and all receive medical attention when necessary.  My only concern is that I live about 45-60 minutes from a vet in case of an emergency.  That concerns me, but I do like living out in the country and having lots of room for the dogs.  I never travel because of my pets, but that's okay with me, too.  Having them in my life is more important than any trip I would want to take.

(People freak out when they hear how many dogs I have, so usually when someone asks me how many I have, I just say, "I have less than 120 pounds of dog."
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »

(People freak out when they hear how many dogs I have, so usually when someone asks me how many I have, I just say, "I have less than 120 pounds of dog."

rotfl  I have 7, one older (14? years) poodle girl who is not in my signature. I've only had her about a month.

I am lucky, I live in a suburb but have a great setup for my dogs. They have their own good-sized room with a dog door to the backyard, and I free feed them, right now they're getting California Natural. When I go out of town my neighbors watch the dogs for me. They have one dog and when they go out  of town they bring him over and it's like he is in doggy camp. He always goes home exhausted.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 08:29:06 PM »

I sure cannot say I have under 120 lbs of dogs.  One of the dogs, Odaat is about as tall as a great dane, but looks nothing like one.  I also have 3 other larger dogs and 3 small ones.  I have a senior shep-x, a senior rottie-x, a young dobie-x, Odaat who is a mix of something, a lhasa apso/terrier mix, and 2 chi's.

Radar_Love
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:44 PM »

Well, I have 3 dogs....Sandy Jo, my Dachshund of 8 years. Radar, my Chihuahua who has been with us for about 2 years now. And, Teddy, my "Jack-a-Poo", who's been with us since last March. It is difficult sometimes, but I wouldnt have it any other way. They're all healthy and happy. I do not plan on adding any more dogs until (god forbid) one of the babies pass on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster