December 15, 2018, 02:48:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for raw/homecooked feeders  (Read 1577 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: August 01, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »

Hey all,

So I am switching KK to homecooked, as, in my area, I think I can feed him decent homecooked cheaper than decent kibble. I've been buying cheap, almost-expired meat and cheap fruits and veggies and rice. I don't have anything to grind eggshells in, so I need to find a calcium source soon.

I bought some salmon heads and tails with a bit of meat on them at the store the other day and I had a question for those more experienced: for a dog who has had RMBs, but never fish, would it be safer to give him the salmon raw and let him figure it out, or to bone it and cook it? I don't want hime to choke on the teeny salmon bones.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:17:30 AM »

From experience, if dogs didn't grow on fish, eating it is an issue. Salmon not only have small bones but they have large pin bones running down the side which are needle sharp. I usually only feed salmon from the can. Some I know feed whole salmon but they have Huskies and live in Canada. I gave Kiva some catfish once and a large bone got wedged sideways in her mouth. So, after that, I only used canned salmon or boneless fillets. If you are going to be cooking and baking, I would just go with a fillet.

You can use powdered calcium citrate for a calcium source. Without a spice grinder you can't grind shells and personally I don't care for bone meal.

Here is link just for info. I am not recommending the actual web site. But Thorne makes fabulous products for people and pets.

http://www.wellvet.com/calciumcitramate.html

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:15 PM »

Thanks, Layne. I just ordered a couple months' supply online. Will bone and bake the salmon.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »

I am on my way over for some salmon! Grin
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:41:27 AM »

After finding a cod worm in my boneless cod filet the other night, I don't think I'd ever feed Scout fish. Not that I would anyways because he won't touch it and it upsets his stomach. But if you do decide to feed him raw fish, make sure you freeze it first to kill any parasites that might be present!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »

ewwwwwww Emily!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »

Isn't the worm extra protein?  Grin
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »

Fish needs to be frozen to at least -10 degrees for one week to remove any threat of parasites. Another reason I buy my fish frozen and use the canned stuff for the Cairnadoes.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »

Isn't the worm extra protein?  Grin
Not if it makes you sick!!!! Bleck!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »

Scout would not complain. Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up