December 15, 2018, 02:48:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Might be able to go raw on a budget...  (Read 1255 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: July 22, 2010, 12:04:14 AM »

Hey all,

So I saw an article in a local dog magazine about a program called Sustainable Selections in my area that diverts expired meat from local grocers to the hands of dog owners. Basically, it involves retrieving, sorting, and saving meat products that are no longer consumable or salable to humans, but are still okay for canines. I am pursuing information about it to see whether it is a viable option for me, but it looks like it might be cheaper than figuring out how to feed Kahaus a halfway decent dry food on a budget that makes a shoestring look generous.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »

I know raw takes a lot more preparation and thought into the diet, but if you are willing to figure it all out and you are able to feed Kahaus what he needs, that sounds great! clapping
KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:34 AM »

That would be good.  For anyone concerned with the "sell by" or "use by" dates...I learned not too long ago (at least in the case of chicken) that the meats are processed and frozen, sold and then shipped to the stores who then put the dates on them.  At the processing facility, things are just rotated in the freezer and may be in there a year or so!  In other words "Fresh" might not be as fresh as one might think...

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »

It depends on the store. Some stores use pre cut meats that come bulk and get re-wrapped at store level. Some come prepackaged and a few chains still cut meat from primal cuts. I prefer the meat cut from primal cuts because the other sources usually have brines and broths added which I don't think are healthy. Also, sell by dates are a recommendation and not a law. Most don't know that. The key is knowing the pack date at the packing plant. The closer the pack date and the delivery date to the store are, the longer the shelf life. The store added sell by date is often far short than the shelf life life expected after packing. For example, packer briskets are usually good for at least 6-7 weeks after pack date but most stores will give them only a week or two with the sell by date they place on the label. So if they receive a brisket from ConAgra that was packed only two days before, they could technically place a sell by date label on it for 4-5 weeks.

I do miss the days of running a meat market.  Cheesy

You should be fine with beef and lamb and other red meats. Be careful with poultry due to the processing technique and handling. Chicken will turn much quicker than red meat.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:53:07 PM »

Ok, so what do they do to poultry that is different from red meat? You've peaked my curiousity for my own sake!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:14:29 PM »

This reminds me we had a gallon of milk in the fridge this week with the expiration date that was over by a couple of days.
Dustin was worried about using it.  I sniffed it and said it was good.  I told the boys the do not worry about the date it was still good, but it should be used up soon.  The boys took me seriously, the milk is now gone and we go grocery shopping tomorrow, payday!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »

Poultry is much messier to process and more fluids. It's those fluids that create the environment for nasty little bugs to get going. I wash my chicken very well and wrap it in paper towels to dry off the surface and then I package it. The fluids, and usually the broth added to the poultry now days, will go bad before the actual meat. Unless the red meat is vacuumed pack with a solution, it usually will never sour. The worst offender in commercial meats now days, IMO, is Tyson which now controls a large chunk of the beef, pork, and poultry industry in the US. I normally buy Sanderson Farm chicken and my beef from the Sack N Save or the Fiesta. I buy my pork at the Asian market because I know it's cut fresh every day.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »

Yeah, I'm so not a fan of them adding broth to my poultry. Its probably full of all sorts of things I shouldn't be eating. We buy our meat in bulk from a meat processing plant in NH. Do they have to list that its packaged in broth or is that not required?

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »

Wow!  I am learning a lot from this thread!  Quite interesting!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster