December 16, 2017, 03:18:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Santa wave       xmasscene       Santa wave

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing Home Shelter Dogs- How to Be Safe?  (Read 5146 times)
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« on: June 12, 2010, 07:47:44 AM »

Hi everyone,
While I was hanging out with Annie at animal control this week, I met some amazing rescue people. They actually run the photo website for animal control and update it daily. They go every day and try to find rescue placements for any dog whose time is up. They were a huge help. I offered to help transport dogs for them in the future and right away I got an email! They have a 5 month old that needs someplace to go for just tonight. Cooper is not good with puppies, but the woman said she could borrow a crate so I could keep them separate.
What do I need to know about doing this? Is it safe to let Cooper and any shelter dog be together in the back yard, even one that isn't a puppy? Cooper loves other dogs and likes when they come to play in the back yard.  But he is not up to date on his kennel cough shot, because he never goes to the kennel. Is that a risk? What about worms? I know the shelter gives them flea preventive but I don't know if they do worms, or shots, etc if the dog is going to another rescue.

Hope for Natalee Holloway, STILL missing in Aruba.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »

A  lot of "ifs" come to mind. How long has the dog been at the shelter? If its been a couple of weeks and they vaccinate and worm you should be fine. If not, if Cooper had his shots anytime in the last 7-10 years, he should be fine. As far as the kennel cough, it's contagious but not life threatening. If Cooper is not trustworthy around puppies then I would keep the puppy crated and apart from Cooper. Also, what breed is it? Size might factor in. Also, what is the temperament of the other dog?

If you are only boarding this dog for night, I would crate it and make sure it poops and pees some place other than your yard in case it does have something. When our rescue takes in a dog, it spends 10 days in isolated quarantine.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »

It is great you can do this.  Great job!  HI5
I am wondering if u may do doing this more than this one time if you are able to set up any part of your home where a temp stay for a dog would be safe and comfy.  IE:  spare room, laundry room etc where you do not have to worry as much about interaction with Cooper. huh?  Sure hope this works out for you.  Sounds like people like you are indeed in need. Grin
GretylsMom
Barks a Lot!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:04:30 AM »

I have been very active in rescue for years.  It is a lot of committment, as I am sure you know!  And living with Pam, well, I never know when another fuzz butt might need a spot to land for the night.  (Or week, as in the case of the pit puppies we had here for awhile!!)

Definately pick up their stools immediately.  There are so many things dogs share through their eliminations!  And as Layne said, if you have a spot where your dog doesn't have access to, that is the best scenario.

Another good point is the shots, ect.  They need a solid 2 - 3 weeks AFTER they receive them before they are immune.  And if they have something already in their system, it takes about 2 weeks of incubation time before some symptoms show up, so the pup may look fine when you bring it home, but be deathly ill a week later.

I also ensure that the foster has it's own space where my dog cannot see them, even in a crate.  Dogs will do a lot of posturing with each other and I want the crate to be a safe place for the foster.

With all of that said, THANK YOU for stepping up to help rescue babies!  It is a lot of work, but oh, so rewarding when you get updates from their forever homes!!!  Just be smart.

~Missy
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »

Yep you are all doing more than I could do.  I tried fostering once and I still have that dog years later.  That would be Odaat.  If I eliminated or reduced a lot of other things in my life I think I could make that committment and keep it, but right now that is not the best choice for me and I highly commend those of you who can make that difference for so many other dogs.  I admire you for being able to do that.  
And Becky, another thing I learned from this forum, even if you post about something that may be embarrassing to you, the people on this forum are so supportive they see beyond that and are here for you no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:41:32 AM by Angel-Dancer » Logged
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:24:29 AM »

This turned out to be an adventure! I have realized how spoiled I am with Cooper. I went to pick up Jacob, who was the sweetest, most timid puppy in the world. It did not occur to me that he probably wasn't used to cars, so that was a crazy ride. He was so funny, he wouldn't walk anywhere, or hop out of the car or anything, he just refused to. I had to pick him up and then he'd go all floppy and dead weight, so it was like carrying around a very cute sack of potatoes. Anytime I wanted to take him outside I had to carry him through the house like that. If I tried to pull him on the leash he cried, but he was fine with being held. I had him in a crate in the extra room but he kept crying and howling. He was with three other dogs in his pen at the shelter, so I bet he was really lonely in my quiet house all by himself.  I was keeping him and Cooper apart but eventually they just got past me- I'm so new at this- and they ended up being the best of friends. Jacob came right out of his shell and followed Cooper everywhere. It was hilarious. They played and played and then fell asleep together.
The next morning, after a bad incident with my ex-husband, I had to leave town in a hurry, and it wasn't time yet to meet his foster. So, I dropped him off with my friend Jessica and arranged for the foster to get him there. I knew the moment Jessica saw him it was love at first sight.   Sure enough, she is now his "foster" and she's started volunteering with the rescue group too.
Such an adventure!! But so worth it.

beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:40:40 AM »

It was so hard to get a picture of them playing. Luckily, I'm not getting the sofa so I didn't care if they used it as their own private jungle
gym!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:44:22 AM by beckybaker » Logged

beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »

Nap Buddies!

Notice who got the pillow!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »

Grin  I'm glad you had a successful fostering!

KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »

Glad it was a good experience...looks like the pups had fun!

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 07:00:09 PM »

He is a cute little guy. So, when does the next foster arrive?  Grin

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »

How awesome!  And you recruited someone else who can foster too.  You are on a role!
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »

oh how cute! I love how he is spread out on the doggie bed.

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

Looks like you had fun!  I'm glad the dogs got along!  Poor dog that doesn't know about cars and steps and stuff like that.  Jasmine freaked out about the basement steps at first.  We had to practice a few times.  You'd never know it now.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:30 AM »

Awww he is just adorable and I know i'd have a hard time giving him or any other "foster" up.

Still amazes me how much Cooper and Molly look alike. Grin

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:49:31 PM »

Jacob went to his forever home in NJ! He ended up being a real handful at Jessica's house. I think she was less than thrilled with me after a few nights with a puppy in the house! The new owner is in NJ, so neither of us met him of course, but Jessica talked with him on the phone and let him know that Jacob was pretty timid, etc.
I won't be able to foster anymore for the time being, because I'm moving into a one bedroom apt. But I'll still be helping with transports once I go back.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »

Well I am glad you got to foster ones you did!  You truly made a difference!  Glad Jacob went to his new forever home and I hope it works out well for him!
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »

Good job!!

Good luck withe your new place and life!  Keep in touch!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »

Good job!!

Good luck withe your new place and life!  Keep in touch!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »

Lots of good news on the forum today. Two doggy adoptions!  HI5 Transports, home visits, reference checks, it all works to place a pet in the right home and save a life.

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 05:26:01 AM »

Very good news!   

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster