December 15, 2017, 06:17:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Santa wave       xmasscene       Santa wave

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stray-Divorce- HELP!!  (Read 5455 times)
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« on: June 05, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »

Please help! My soon to be ex-husband and I are going through an UGLY divorce and we are both still in the house. He was away this week and he called me from the road  on his way home to say he found a stray dog literally lying on the yellow lines. I told him to just bring her home. So I just gave a stray dog a flea bath with my ex while he was crying about his girlfriend- who he left me for!! We are already fighting over Cooper in the divorce so neither of us is in a position to take in a stray. But she is so, so, sweet and is already so attached to Brad she cries when they are apart. We live in GA, where stray dogs face certain death in shelters. What do I do?? I'm afraid if I commit to keeping her he'll use it against me so that he can keep Cooper. Actually, I know he'll do that. Cooper is our MAIN negotaiting point. Help!!

Hope for Natalee Holloway, STILL missing in Aruba.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:11:49 PM »

So sorry you are going thru an ugly divorce. group hug group hug group hug
Sounds like the stray is going to be with one of you and if the dog is so attached to him, maybe him. huh? huh?  I do not know about Cooper, that would sure be a tough one too.  If my DH and I ever divorced, 2 of our dogs would obviously be with me since they are momma dogs.  I sure hope it all works out for the best for all of you involved.  That really sucks you are going thru this.  Hope the new door you end up going thru is a much better road for you. group hug group hug group hug
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:25:49 AM »

I agree with Janet.  I mean this poor dog needs help and you guys came along and gave it to her.  Irregardless what happens between you and your husband the dogs need taken care of.  They are innocents in all of this.

Laying on the road on the yellow line.  That broke my heart.  crying

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:48:09 AM »

Becky I'm so sorry that you are going through all that you are going through.  group hug In the midst of all that to take in a dog that needs care says a lot about you and your ex's character.

Can you see a dominant breed in the dog--lab, rott, etc.? I would say the best route to go if you cannot keep them is to contact breed rescues around you for help. Or just general rescues if the breed rescues go no where. The next thing I would do is post on Craigslist and call some of the local humane societies and animal controls with a description of the dog in case he is a missing dog. I would also stop at a vet and check for a microchip and also get a general check up. You never know he might be someone's lost dog from awhile back. If he has fleas, he more than likely has worms. I would make sure you quarantine where he poops and not bring Cooper by him or that area for several days so he doesn't pick up something.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:01 AM »

I don't really have much to add for suggestions. Kim has some good ideas.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I do hope you can keep Cooper!  group hug

Keep us posted on how things are going and how you are doing.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

Did you or the EH have Cooper before you met? That would settle it. If he travels, it only makes since to me that you get Cooper. You could use that as leverage in your favor. My suspicious mind wonders if EH brought this other dog home just to throw getting Cooper into his favor.

I hope you get to keep Cooper and EH take this newly adopted one. Either way both dogs will need good homes and care.

Wish there was something else I could add to help.   group hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »

I don't really see how bringing a stray home would help him in getting Cooper.  If he travels a lot I don't really see him being able to care for any dog, but...hey, maybe he'll fall in love with this poor pup and it can be "HIS" dog, rather than Cooper!

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »

Any updates Becky or is the quarrel still happening?  How are you doing?  How are things going in general?
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 07:42:55 AM »

Hi guys! I have been to embarrassed to update you, but now it seems like things are working out  Happy Yell
Brad took Annie (yes I named her) to animal control Sunday morning and just washed his hands of the entire situation. I didn't know what to do. I've been going every single day to walk her and spend time with her. She is so sweet and it breaks my heart to leave her, because she never wants to go back in the pen. So, I was posting her picture every single day on Facebook. Animal control actually has a thing where you can post a link to a dog on your profile page. I sent out a ton of mass emails and got in touch with some amazing rescue people.
Just when her time was about to be up, an old college friend emailed me. She lives in Los Angeles, but she knows a family in Georgia who said they might be interested. So I called and talked with them a lot. They seem really wonderful. They already have one rescue dog who had been a stray, and he was a real handful, so I know they are experienced. I told them honestly that Annie is an escape artist (she got out of our fenced yard three times), but luckily so is their dog, so they are used to it.
So long story short- they called me back yesterday and said YES!!!  Happy Yell
I wanted to bring Annie right home but she has to be spayed first. I'll pick her up next week and bring her home so she can rest before I take her to her new family. I hope it works out- I promised I'd come get her if it doesn't, so they won't be stuck with her. Fingers crossed!!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »

That's wonderful news!!  I'm glad you stuck with it and found her a home.

I hope it works out good for them.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

That is great news!  I sure hope it works out for the little one.  I had one escape artist we rehomed to a rescue and she ended up in a great home where she got along with the dogs she was with, she was in a yard with a 7 ft wall and spent a lot of time in the pool with the other dogs she lived with.  Where she became a liability to me, it worked out great for her where she went.
I have a dog now who is an escape artist, but we have been able to keep her in the majority of the time with my dad's help and building a new wall a few years ago.  Also crate training her helped a lot. That is my dog Xena.  For the most part she is a great dog.
Sure hope things go smoother and smoother for you.  Glad your efforts paid off for Annie.
Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »

that is some kinda good news..    Doc.. Happy Yell

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GretylsMom
Barks a Lot!

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 08:17:23 PM »

WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!  So glad she has a forever home!!  You done good!!  Thank you so much!!

~Missy
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »

HI5 I hope her new family doesn't flake out. She sounds sweet and she might not be prone to roaming after she is spayed and with a family that will care for her.

Thanks for the update.

BTW, don't be embarrassed to update us. As much we all love dogs and wish that mills and shelters didn't exist, they do. It's part of reality. Not every dog can be saved as much as hurts to admit it.  rubhead hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »

Thank you all so much. Annie is on her way to her new home today! I actually had to leave town for a few days to get away from my situation here, but I was able to fill out her paperwork and arrange for another rescue person to transport her from the hospital to her new family. She got her spay, shots, etc yesterday. I had a meltdown because the vet called and told me she has heartworm and it was going to be over 550 to treat and basically made it sound like she needed to be euthed. I called the new owner pretty much in tears saying I'd understand if she didn't want to move forward with Annie. Well, meanwhile the rescue people called me and told me this happens all of the time and that most of the dogs are HW positive, and that she can be treated for $90 which the rescue group will pay. And the new owner called and said it was no big deal, they went through all of this with their first rescue dog.  I felt like such a "rescue newbie" I had to laugh at myself.
So she's on her way to her new life! I'm sad I didn't get to tell her goodbye but hopefully I'll see her again one day after she's settled and bonded with the new fam.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »

Rescues deal with HW dogs and dogs with all sorts of medical conditions. Shelters can't afford the time and money to treat most of the dogs so putting them down is the only option if a rescue doesn't step in. And sadly enough many people take their dogs to shelters or just abandon them if they can't or won't provide the treatment they need. We have had several Cairn in our rescue abandoned over minor medical issues, age, HW, mange, etc. Thankfully their are a lot of kind vets who help rescue by providing treatment at cost or on discount.

I'm really happy Annie has found a home and a home that if filled with kindness and love too to work with her during her HW treatment. I don't think anyone moves beyond rescue newbie because rescue seems to change so much and you never know what you will encounter. Just when it seems you have seen it all..........here comes a curve ball.

beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »

See why I fell in love?? I miss her but I'm glad she's in a safe place and out of the pound!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »

Awww, she's a sweetie! 

I'm glad she's found a forever home!

KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

Love that face...glad she's found a home!

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

She looks sweet and is really pretty. Again, I am so happy for her.  }jumphappy{

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »

She does have a beautiful face.  Very glad she is going to a great new home.  You done good with the pretty girl.
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 06:47:53 AM »

Awww, what a sweetie.  Sounds like she's found herself a great home and she'll be heartworm free, in a month or so.  I want to give her a hug and some head scritches myself!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know that Annie is doing great! Her new owner emails me and sends pictures. The family is totally in love with her. At first she didn't get along with their first dog, Sampson, but now the two are best friends. She is going to start HW treatment this month- she was too skinny to do it at first.
I am so happy that there was a happy ending!

Oh- and I'm doing really great too. I took the summer off from school and have been staying with my parents in MD. They have so much food! And real fabric softner! And wine! Cooper seems better every day. He loves my dad and I think he's really happy to have a man to hang out with again.

So all in all- life is GOOD! Miracles happen!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

Great update Becky!  Hope all continues to go well for you!  You are such an awesome foster too.  I am sure you will do what you can in your new home.  Glad Cooper is doing well.  Keep us updated on how things go for you!  Very glad you are seeing a light in the tunnel and it is not a train! Grin
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:27 PM »

I hope life keeps on the up too.  big hug Thanks for the update on Annie.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster