December 13, 2017, 10:33:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Santa wave       xmasscene       Santa wave

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yoda dog  (Read 5329 times)
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« on: November 30, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

Folks, here comes one of my multiple post stories. Where it takes me many posts and pictures to get to the point?

On Friday the 13th, as if I didn't have enough to do with all that birthday and texting stuff, I was asked to hold a litter of puppies for a week. So I met a transporter in a Sheraton parking lot, at I-85 and Billy Graham Parkway. She delivered to me some of the cutest puppies(!)......who soon came to be known as the Soda Pop kids.

These are the boys, Crush, Wink, and Pepsi....

* soda pop kids.JPG (126.37 KB, 723x480 - viewed 209 times.)

* Crush.JPG (113.73 KB, 903x600 - viewed 204 times.)

* Wink.JPG (124.9 KB, 615x823 - viewed 221 times.)

* Pepsi.JPG (97.83 KB, 903x600 - viewed 198 times.)

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »

And the girls.....Fresca, Sundrop, and Sprite.

I swear that Sprite, so named because she's an itty bitty little thing, is one of the cutest dogs I've ever had!  luvsmile

* Fresca.JPG (102.95 KB, 903x600 - viewed 206 times.)

* Sundrop.JPG (103.58 KB, 903x600 - viewed 196 times.)

* Sprite.JPG (87.62 KB, 903x600 - viewed 203 times.)

* Sprite 2.JPG (121.98 KB, 776x552 - viewed 210 times.)

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »

I kept them for a week, and they went to a rescue in PA, where they have all already found homes.

So here's the story. We put them in my car, and were exchanging pleasantries before we went our separate ways, and suddenly Monica looks past me and says "what's that??" She went one way, I circled around another, and while I pitched cat kibbles to this animal, she cooed and approached every time it would turn to see the flying kibbles. After about 20 minutes, this is what she picked up:

* billy g.JPG (110.36 KB, 600x903 - viewed 196 times.)

* billy g 2.JPG (109.36 KB, 903x600 - viewed 197 times.)

* billy g 3.JPG (109.28 KB, 600x903 - viewed 205 times.)

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »

Well,  he don't look as bad as Mable did..  Do yer thing MM..      Doc.. woof

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:09:17 PM »

Those nails are nasty!

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »

Not as bad as Mabel overall, but equally bad in different ways. Those nails.....several were so long they were starting to curl around for the SECOND TIME. I saw him catch one front nail on a back nail and trip himself so hard he fell to the floor.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »

He was only slightly underweight. There is a convenience store next door where feral cats are fed, and I'm sure there are scraps around the restaurant at the Sheraton.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25:25 PM »

oh my... that poor guy! Glad you found him and will be able to help him.

The puppies are too cute!

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »

Thank you for catching him. Those pics make my heart hurt. I am so glad he is in your hands. I can't wait to see an updated pic where he is looking healthy and happy and well cared for.  Have you had him in to see a vet yet? What are they attributing the hair loss to?

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »

I dropped him at the vet that night, and asked them to just stick him somewhere until I could get back the next morning. We didn't do a thing to him that night except feed and shelter him. I know it sounds bad, but it was late in the day, and I had to stabilize the pups and then go out with C-Y. And of course food and shelter was something he didn't have at 4 pm so it was an improvement.

On Saturday, first we clipped the dreadlocks out of his ears, and then clipped the super long part of his nails. Several had turned back into his pads, and he hollered over that. Then came an ear cleaning, eye flushing, and several skin scrapings from different locations. He was diagnosed with a deep-seated bacterial infection in his ears; we determined his eyes might be okay, and could wait for any resolution; did a fecal--easy, because he pooped in the floor!--which surprisingly came up negative; and determined---again, amazingly--that he did NOT have mange, but instead has one of the worst yeast infections my vet has ever seen. He couldn't believe that there was no other skin condition present in conjunction with the yeast. We put him on heartguard in case he came up HW+, dosed him with Comfortis because I had to put him in an outdoor kennel for the first week, and gave him his first anti-fungal bath. Even with a great discount and a sympathetic vet, he cost me a cool 400 bucks that first day.

Got to go let dogs in out of the rain!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »

I forgot the stench. He smelled so bad that my eyes watered. None of us would touch him, we would only handle him with a towel. And quite frankly, he still stinks! Though it isn't nearly as bad.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »

Sorry to keep running back and forth. "Parking Lot Pup", which was his name at the time, was bright red and felt scalding to the touch. He could not stop scratching. Notice the numerous deep wrinkles and sagging in his skin; he is one big wrinkle from head to toe, and we hope that as the inflammation subsides, some of that will disappear. The stink continues. He is estimated to be about 6, and of course he isn't neutered, and of all things, he is a purebred shih tzu.

So I decided my name choices were Sheraton and Billy Graham, and Sheraton didn't seem to hit on much for a raggedy dog. By Monday, his 3rd day with me, Billy G wagged for the first time. More pictures tomorrow!

phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »

The puppies are adorable!!!! luvsmile

You are a saint for what you have done and are still doing for Billy G!!!  angel  I hope he starts to feel better real soon and finds a wonderful new forever home!!!!!!  blushthanks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:10:18 PM by phbeardog » Logged
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »

MM, when I saw the pics of Soda kids I was all warm and fuzzy then I saw Billy G's pic and my heart sank to my feet. I can't imagine how bad he feels. Do you think he was dumped like that or has been feral so long he got that way? My thoughts are a small dog like that would not make it long on the streets so he was probably dumped and bad situation got worse.

Whatever his previous history is, he is starting a new chapter in life and is on the road to being a happy little dog.  chbuds

Do you have him on a raw diet? That would help with the fungus and yeastie beasties.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:44 PM »

Who knows his story. Best I can guess, he developed yeast and got thrown into the backyard. My vet says he probably never had any veterinary care, that he had been neglected for at least three years to get this bad, and that I didn't need to feel any obligation to find his owner.

I started with some good plain kibble, like I always do to stabilize them, and by the end of the first week he was fully on Steve's turkey. In Chinese medicine, turkey and beef are cooling foods, and with the heat he puts out, I thought that would be appropriate. He has eaten that until tonight, when he had Sojo's Complete (rehydrated turkey-based) with some Country Pet pasteurized beef roll. At 21 lbs, he is eating a pound of food a day, and he wants more!

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 12:15:05 AM »

I remember seeing this on FB... OMG poor Billy G!  Bless you for picking him up and taking care of him.  horrible horrible horrible. 

The puppies are too cute!
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:09 AM »

Oh my  wimpering

To go from those happy little pups to Billy just breaks my heart.  How anyone can mistreat an animal like that.  Those nails~ that skin!   crying

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 08:02:36 AM »

MM, try some of the raw processed coconut oil in his food. It really helps Kiva when she gets itchy in the early summer.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »

I have some Layne, and I will get it out this week. My vet says he has to stay on EFAs for the rest of his life. Right now he's on salmon oil, just because the rest of the crowd is, and it's easy. He gets an anti-fungal bath every few days which helps the itching immensely.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »

Nov 15th, day two. What a difference a bath makes!

* BG day 2.JPG (127.07 KB, 773x513 - viewed 173 times.)

* BG day 2b.JPG (127.39 KB, 773x513 - viewed 181 times.)

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »

Nov 18th, day five: a little grooming makes you feel even better!

* BG day 5a.JPG (125.83 KB, 773x513 - viewed 183 times.)

* BG day 5b.JPG (115.76 KB, 903x600 - viewed 184 times.)

* BG day 5c.JPG (119.04 KB, 651x432 - viewed 176 times.)

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »

He actually looks like a shih tzu now!

Good job MM!  HI5

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »

He looks a thousand times better.  chbuds He's a cute little dog too. I can't wait to see his pics in a couple of weeks.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 06:56:43 PM »

Well y'all just keep in mind that he needs a good home, and will probably need a particular diet for the rest of his life. Um...Layne?????

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:38 PM »

Wow! I'm so excited to see his pics. Is his hair already growing back in or is it just the bath that cleaned it up a bit? It looks like his back end is getting some hair in since that first pic, but i can't tell for sure.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »

Have you ever dealt with yeast in this quantity? Have you ever touched a chinese crested that's on a bad diet? The oils in the skin mix with all the sloughed off dead skin cells and dirt particles, and you get this layer of sticky, greasy feeling funk. With the yeast, you also get the nasty, nasty smell.  We do think that there was some hair hiding in the gunk, but there are also some definite bald spots.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »

I'm fortunate to never have seen first hand a dog in as bad of shape as he is in. Hope he continues to do better each day and that you can find him a very special home full of love.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »

I've toyed with the idea of adopting another dog or fostering for our rescue but after having Bella here I realized how difficult it was for me to manage two spirited terriers and Bella. Just going somewhere was an ordeal because my truck only fits two small dogs or one large dog in the cab.  blush If I get a third dog or foster, it will need to be an exact match for the two I have. Bella and Kaden clashed too much.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 04:55:58 PM »

So far, Billy gets along great with every dog he's met. It appears his job in this pack is to give Kord a break from Rudy. Poor Rudy is getting the exact treatment from Billy that he gives to Kord. Payback's tough!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:54 PM »

Except of course, that Billy doesn't play very much. These dogs are bred to be companions, not exercisers.

LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »

You are not only an angel but a miracle worker, MM.  clapping

Billy G's luck has turned 180 degrees that day; Christmas came early for him, poor little guy. To think how long he stayed with no care to get into the shape is maddening. enraged  He looks already so much better even though he will be a work in progress for some time. Best wishes for his skin to continue to improve and for finding him a good home. I cannot give him that but would be glad to give him (and you) any other support, just pm me where to send it.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »

Any new updates on Billy G?

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »

We're going for his 4 week check-up tomorrow. I'll try to get new pictures too, and post a health update.

He's a funny little bird!

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »

I still think about this little guy. We never did get our update Smiley

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »

Oh that poor yoda dog.  Those other pups are way too cute luvsmile
I guess you were both at the right place at the right time to catch the poor guy.  Sure hope to see healthier pics of the little dude soon.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster