October 18, 2017, 08:56:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kramer! The new new foster!!  (Read 8657 times)
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« on: November 25, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »

Meet Kramer!! A six month old blue merle male Great Dane!! He was an owner surrender for biting... He bit the owners father pretty badly from what we were told...  }jumphappy{  He's just scared and not socialized so a few weeks with me and we'll have him shaped right up!!  He's already doing really well and I only picked him up last night!!

* Kramer.jpg (45.83 KB, 499x358 - viewed 268 times.)

* gentle puppy.jpg (45.79 KB, 452x324 - viewed 292 times.)

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »

Wow!  He's gorgeous!  luvsmile

I met a guy at the dog park the other day, who had a dane! A beautiful girl he rescued!

Unfortunately, the one he rescued before this one, had to go back to the dane rescue because he bit his son.

I didn't know that danes had that in them.  I guess every breed could  huh?

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »

Awww, what a cutie!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:59:26 PM »

We mostly get Man or Kid biters... Usually they waltz into my house and never even offer to bite Pete or my guinea pig niece and nephew! (Friends kids) Kramer has been an absolute gentleman!!Definitely all puppy and DEFINITELY terrified of everything up to and including his own shadow!  rotfl We're working on it!! 

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »

So you have 2 Dane fosters now?  Shocked

He's a cutie, for sure!

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:24:34 PM »

I had 2 all last night and today until noon!  I highly recommend it!  }jumphappy{

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:00:41 AM »

Beautiful pup!  Lucky pup!

So...when is the addition being built on your house?   Grin

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

HA! An addition wouldn't help at all! No matter where I go... There they are! Right now I'm in the bedroom with my laptop and I'm looking at the backs of a lot of heads... and the fronts of a lot more faces! 

Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »

He's adorable! Heart

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »

He's a beautiful dog. I don't know that I could live with a Dane after being the runty little terriers for so long. They are really nice dogs but those tails are lethal to glass objects on coffee tables.  Grin

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »

He is a stunning pup ! Good luck with him.

One question, how do you place a dog that has a bite history ? Are those "special needs", like homes with no kids, etc ?

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »

Well here's the thing... We as a rule don't place in homes with kids under five... unless you walk up and say you've had large dogs before and are very experienced and we believe you... So that rules out a large portion of the problem.
From day 1 we hold the dog at least 2 weeks to judge temperament and also gauge how much of what we were told was a bald faced lie... What this woman told us has got to be all lies... This dog has never lived in a house before... He was TERRIFIED of the box fan, dishwasher opening, oven timer, and washing machine noises... to the point where he defecated on himself in fear the first night... after just a few days with us is getting VERY confident! She told us he was crate trained... (he is not) She told us he is housebroken (He is NOT, infact he thinks he should go outside and play and then urinate and defecate immediately upon entering the house) She told us he was not a digger... (Lie) and also that he had been seen several times at the vet for failure to thrive and they feed him but he doesn't gain weight... (LIE, a lot of people don't realize how much these dogs eat!!) He has put 7 pounds on in the few days I've had him... I'm just feeding him...
I told my rescue director... I can see how this went just by observing him...
He grew quickly and has no manners... she couldn't figure out how to housebreak him... so he was tossed into the backyard and all socialization went out the window... he began digging out of boredom and probably hunger (He is digging roots up in my front yard and trying to eat them...) They got frustrated and when the dad made an overt punishment gesture he was bitten...
When I raise my voice this poor dog COWERS and urinates... The first night he showed his teeth to me, and I was yelling at another dog all together!  He's getting better though...

So, any potential adopters will be told that "We were told by the previous owners that he has bitten. We haven't observed that in the foster home." (Unless we do see it) I will then explain to them his temperament and the changes we have seen since entering foster care, and what we are working on and how and they can decide if they want to move forward with the adoption or not. If they want to move forward I take him to their house and set up so I can see their house and also see how he acts there... then we decide if WE want to move forward with these adopters... If everything works out great! But we REALLY work to try and find the best fit not only for the family but for the dog also!

We already have a GREAT app on him actually! It's an adopter that has already adopted from us... They would be a fantastic home for him I think!

LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »

Thanks for explaining the whole process, Hill. The way your organization is doing it makes a lot of sense.

It is a pity that surrendering owners lie about the reasons and the circumstances leading to the surrender but of course, not lying would make them look bad and it is so much easier to blame it all on the dog.
It is wonderful that you all take the time and have the knowledge and resources to form your own opinions so that you can thruthfully lead potential adopters toward the right dog.

I hope the application you have for Kramer turns out well.

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »

Happy Yell Kramer is going for his adoption trial tomorrow morning!!! Cross your fingers, this is a pretty perfect family!!

KDN
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:20:05 AM »

Hope all goes well and Kramer finds his forever home...

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »

Good luck Kramer!!!

woof

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »

I sure hope the visit goes well and Kramer finds a great home.  clapping  chbuds

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

Best of luck for Kramer. I'd be sooo glad if it turns out to be it !  woof

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »

Good luck to Kramer!!

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 04:41:49 PM »

Awww, he just needed some love, food, and some direction!  Seems like he got very little of all of that in his previous home.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »

Happy Yell

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »

Good luck Kramer!   clapping clapping clapping

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »

So far so good... I checked in with the adopters before bed and they said he is doing pretty well! A few things they aren't sure of but nothing bad!  We'll see!!

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »

I can remember when we first brought Molly  home and me wondering ...what the heck did I just do?

That getting to know each other period is awkward.  I remember that i couldn't wait until we got into a routine.

Good luck Kramer!  You deserve the bestest home!

LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 08:05:05 PM »

I am very happy it sounds good so far. Yay, Kramer, charm them all and use your manners.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster