December 15, 2018, 01:19:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a fatty  (Read 1567 times)
Sally
Dog Addict!

« on: November 09, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »

Took Tsuki to the vet and she weighed in a whopping 26#  Shocked  She needs to loose at least 4#, doc said good weight at 22, I think 20.

Any ideas on what I can feed to make her feel happy even with 25% decrease in her food?  I have her on 1.75% of her body weight @ 26#, leaving a little room for her dehydrated chicken treat and greenie and maybe a cookie. 

that 1.75% is soooo little food, its like a chicken wing plus some meat.  I added green beans yesterday and she promptly spat that out.  I also upped her exercise, figured it benefits her and I could use the extra walk.

I'm going to start removing the skins and bought her extra lean ground beef yesterday.  Any other suggestions?
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »

What do you give for treats? I give Minnie baby carrots. She wasn't too fond of them to begin with, but  now she thinks it's a real treat to get something from the fridge.  Cheesy

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »

She gets one dehydrated chicken strip in the morning and 1 greenie - teenie at night.  Then she gets fed her raw.  Maybe a cookie.  That is all she gets, its not she gets tons of food.  I do give her carrots when I'm making them.  But the vet said stay away from sugar veggies and go for green beans, squash, etc.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »

Removing the skin will help. I battle Kvia's weight. Weight gain is common in Cairns. She gets 1oz of canned in the morning or one raw medallion with 1 tbs of grain free kibble and at night on my night off she gets 3.5 oz of raw and 1tbs of kibble. On my work nights, days she is less active, she gets 3 oz of raw and 1 tbs of kibble. I use the kibble to add something more solid to their diet since their raw food is ground. She is down to 14.6 lb but really needs to be around 13.5. It's slow but she is losing.

Keeping Tsuki's mind off her food with play and activity will help. Kiva now spends most of her day chasing squirrels. I also distract her with a quality raw hide from Wholesome Hide. There was an article in WDJ recently about overweight dogs. They say don't cut back on fat. Fat is what satiates a dog's appetite. So it's actually better to keep some fat and cut back on other ingredients.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

What about crockpotting several approved veggies high in water content together with a tiny bit of garlic for flavor, putting the cooked stuff into the food processor to make a mush and adding a small quantity of that at the bottom of her dish of raw to make her feel fuller ?  You can freeze the mush and defrost only what you need for a couple of days at a time.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:55:12 PM »

Removing the skin will help.
Layne, I hope you are not referring to the dog's skin.  Tummy tucks are very expensive ya know.

Sure hope you find the right combo to help Tsuki lose weight.  I sure would not cut back too drastically too fast so she does not think you are starving her.
Oh!  Low fat kongs may help too.  Low fat stuffing, not the actual kong.
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:56:44 PM »

Thanks guys.  My dogs do not like veggies, but good idea.  never thought about doing it in crock pot.  Corgi wont even do premade raw since it contains veggies.  Tsuki will eat some veggies but not really.  They do however like oven roasted kale  huh?

Maybe I'll remove the skin every other day.....

I guess she will just have to deal and we humans have to deal w/ some serious shiba attitude. 
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:40:22 AM »

Kids or dogs, I've always bought into the philosophy that if they are hungry they will eat it. So perhaps by cutting back, after a while of only being offered veggies as her "extra" she will succumb and eat them, or she'll just go a little hungry.... I also am big on an increase in exercise to help take the weight off. I usually do a lot of swimming, unfortunately, if I remember right Tsuki is not big on swimming?...

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »

no shiba swims  Cheesy

Yeah I know what you mean Kim.  This is how stubborn shibas are, Corgi went 6 days w/o eating before giving in to rabbit.  Tsuki has gone long as 4 before giving in.  I just wanted to make it easier on her because I did not want her to start guarding her raw meats, since they will become higher in value.  But I'm standing strong and going with your train of thought.... its veggies or nothing.  We are on day 3 and still no eating veggies.  I figure either way, I still win since she will loose weight.

I did up her walks (1/2 mile in the morning and mile in the evening) and trying to get her to play more....kinda hard when your preggo...but doing what I can without making myself too tired.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

Just wait til the week your due, then you'll start walking her like crazy to get that baby to come out Smiley

Your right, if she starves herself, you still win. But your right I didn't think about the resource guarding. Hopefully you'll find a happy medium. I know mine all gained a couple pounds post baby because I didn't have as much time and we hadn't adjusted to the new lifestyle so it is definately good that you are trying to get her to drop the weight now!

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:22:04 AM »

So two weeks on decreased food and increased exercise ...................... no weight change  footstomp  Whats up???  Am I doing something wrong?  She is getting the same type of food (raw) at 25% less.  I should be able to see some weight loss no? I do not want to cut any more meat out of her diet, I can increase the veggies (or try to) but I do not think that will make a difference.

No one is feeding them anything extra. She only gets one piece of dehydrated chicken strip in the morning and her raw food at night.  DH was instructed to not feed them. Unless she became an efficient hunter and eating all her kills cleanly and secretly without any humans knowing (highly improbable).   
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:36:32 AM »

Well just like humans depending on the time of day, if they've pooped, etc. that can factor into a weight. I would say keep doing exactly what your doing. Perhaps with the extra exercise she just built some muscle right now which would weigh more than fat.  I wouldn't decrease her anymore just yet. and start trying to weigh her at the same time of day to compare. Did you use the same scale both times? Perhaps there are calibration differences?

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »

When Kiva had to lose weight, I started feeding her 2% of her desired weight. It has come off slowly. Taken almost a year for her to lose a full 2lb I am guessing. On her last visit she weighed 14.6lb. She still gets her 2% of desired weight which I would like to be 14lb. If dogs are like humans, then you don't want it to come off too fast or their metabolism slows down and they will not lose weight or gain it back. Remember, bone is very high in fat content too. It's warm where you live so you have to adjust for that. Here it's getting colder with highs in the 50s and 60s and lows in the 40s or upper 30s. This makes them have to burn more to stay warmer so Kiva's weight dropped a bit faster from September till now. Also, if you exercise her more, you will get more muscle which weighs more than fat. You see it a lot with folks who start working out. They get frustrated because they don't lose as much for their hard work but the extra muscle will equate to burning more calories down the road.

Just hang in there.  big hug

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »

Thanks guys.  Grin

I purchased a new scale for T so it would be consistent.  I'll take your advice and weight same time each day to see. 

Wow, it took Kiva almost a year for 2#s?  My vet was saying 1/2 # a week, so I guess I've been aiming too high.  I'll space it out and worry less.  Poor Tsuki ...
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »

I put Spip on a diet in preparation for her surgery and it took us about 10 weeks for her to loose 4 lbs. This was without any exercise though since she was restricted. But you have to keep in mind she is a big dog and that 4 lbs is about 5.5 % of her body weight while Tsuki is looking at loosing about 20%.

She'll get there and I agree, slow is better, both for slendering or fattening a dog.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:31 PM »

Did you say if the thyroid had been checked?

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »

Did you say if the thyroid had been checked?

Yes, we ran full blood panel and her thyroid is normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster