October 17, 2017, 08:28:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost? Stray? Dumped?  (Read 1228 times)
KDN
Dog Addict!

« on: October 26, 2009, 08:06:32 AM »

Last week a dog showed up in our "neighborhood".  DH had called to tell me about it, that it was a female Great Pyrenees.  He was telling me how excited the horses were to see it (I guess they thought it was Bullseye, the white GSD we used to have.)  At any rate, there is now a Pyrenees (mix, I think) wandering the road.  It hangs out on the road between our house and our nearest neighbors' house.  It seems to have traveled some distance, as its feet seem tender and the neighbor reports that its paws were a little bloody when it first arrived.  The dog isn't bothering anything and isn't in any danger where she's staying (very rural road). 

There have been no missing posters/signs in the usual places in the stores in town or elsewhere.  Lots of people keep these dogs in with their goats around this area but there is no one in our immediate area that has them.  The dog, bless its heart, appears to be unsocialized and really uncomfortable with people.  It will come to you when you have food, but won't eat out of your hand, eating only when you have placed it down and have stepped away.  Last night I was squatted down talking to it, and it (rather than going directly to the food) was carefully sniffing my jeans and shoes.  I let it smell my outstretched hand, and then kinda gave it a rub on the head, whereupon it basically froze, kinda cowered down.  I changed the subject and showed it the food and then left it to eat in peace.

Despite the mats and dirt, it really is a pretty dog.  Between us and the neighbors it will be fed and cared for as best we can.  DH's inital thought that it was female doesn't seem to bear out (he thought maybe it had been in heat and got our wandering) because Duke (who is intact) pays it no mind and who could tell underneath all those mats when it doesn't really want you touching it?  At any rate, just wish us luck either locating its owners ormaybe even that the neighbors will adopt it.  They had a great Pyrenees that died last year of old age and they have a weakenss for animals anyways, they have about 20+ cats they care for.  Wish us luck!

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »

Livestock guardian dogs aren't really "supposed" to respond to people like other dogs, so it's a pretty good bet she is a working LGD. You could put a call in to someone like your county extension agent. I have a friend that has several on her sheep farm in central NC.....if nothing comes up in a few days I could ask her if there are any resources that would track such a dog.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:11:08 AM »

Keep us updated. I hope there is something around the dog can go to to keep out of the elements or better yet it adopts you or your neighbor.  Grin

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »

How sad... I hope you find the owners or that your neighbor will take him in.  Good luck!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster