March 25, 2019, 07:20:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:      dance egg celebratestarsHappy Spring!! celebratestars    dance egg

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vet told us to jump on the grain free bandwagon  (Read 1092 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: October 24, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »

Hey all,

So Kahaus had a recheck with the vet today regarding his skin. The infection seems to be healing, and in about a month we will need to do bloodwork again to check his thyroid and see if he has hypothyroidism or if it was just a reaction to the skin infection.

The vet seems to think that the skin issues could also be caused or exacerbated by a reaction to low-quality grains in his diet. Kahaus is currently on Kirkland Signature Mature Dog. The vet wants us to go grain-free, but I don't know that I can swing that. The grain-free foods seem to run about $55 for a 30 lb bag. Taste of the Wild is the exception at $45 for a 30 lb bag. There is a place on my way home from school where I can get, I think, Wellness CORE, EVO, TOTW, etc. I can also get them from the self-serve dog wash that I frequent.

Any suggestions? Ways to stay within my starving college student budget? I was already planning to look for a second job, as I only get 10 hours/week at my current job and I am barely scraping by on that, but now it seems that Kahaus is necessitating a bit more deliberation in my search.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »

Theres really no getting around it. Grain free is expensive.  I had Molly on Solid gold Barking at the Moon which is grain free but i just recently switched her to Natural Balance which is also grain free just for a change of pace.

Not much difference in price between the two that i've had.  Solid gold is $35.00 for a 15 lb bag and Natural balance is $33.00 for a 15 lb bag.  Only thing that saves me is I also mix it with canned and Molly doesn't eat a whole bunch of kibble a day.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

Yeah, I kinda figured stocking up on canned when I have a little extra cash would be good. I also did some in depth comarison shopping today between the different grain-free varieties at our local food supply shop. I was glad I spent the time on it because I was going to go with Taste of the Wild, as it is cheaper per bag than the others. With the amount per day that Kahaus would be eating, though, plus the frequent buyer deals from the manufacturer, EVO ends up being about $250 less expensive per year. And it was about $450 less per year than Now -- the kind that our vet sells.

Well, I was looking for a second job, anyway...  huh?

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »

did you try to just switch dog foods? maybe try regular canidae or taste of the wild...see if that helps

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »

Evo is more expensive but it's high octane and he would probably eat much less of it. I'm glad your vet said to go grain free. More and more dog owners are going that way for many reasons. Core has a lot of potato in it. Instinct is a pretty good grain free too. Here it runs a little less than Evo per bag.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »

did you try to just switch dog foods? maybe try regular canidae or taste of the wild...see if that helps

I agree. The Kirkland stuff is generally pretty low quality, so why not at least try something in the middle? Grain free should be your long-term goal, but human grade, whole grain would be a vast---and immediate---improvement.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster