February 24, 2020, 05:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs and Poultry  (Read 3252 times)
KDN
Dog Addict!

« on: October 06, 2009, 08:05:28 AM »

Over the weekend we got three turkey poults (baby turkeys), who are at present safely enclosed in a coop.  Well, there seems to be a small disagreement brewing about the dogs and the birds.  For some reason, despite the first couple of days of doing it differently (my way) DH has decided that the dogs don't need to be anywhere around them (he's become an over-protective bird daddy).

My operating theory is that the dogs are curious, and need to learn to be close to the birds without acting as if they'd like to gobble them up.  As long as they are sitting or standing quietly at the coop with me, I'm fine.  I get onto them if they act interested when the birds move or if they are running around exciting the birds.  Duke and Rave are the primary culprits.  (The two of them get into trouble with the horses as well for the same behaviors as they like to bark and chase at times).  Boo, once he got through his creek ramblings, just came and sat beside and reached out to sniff when the babies were coming up to me at the coop fence getting treats.

Now, all the dogs ignore Pretty, the guinea.  Then again, she is a sassy, domineering bird who will run AT them rather than away.  Anyone have any experience in introducing poultry and dogs? 

Roscoe, Raven, Rosie, & Boo--my babies!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »

and need to learn to be close to the birds without acting as if they'd like to gobble them up.

Good pun!  Grin Turkeys......dogs....gobble........... wink2

Anyhoo........I would let the dogs come near the turkeys when the birds are in their coop and treat the dogs for coming close and not being too aggressive. When the birds are a bit bigger, you might have the dogs confined and let the turkeys run amok so the dogs can get used to them that way too. Once the turkeys get bigger, the dogs might lose interest in them all together. Turkeys can grow quite large and if you don't trim their tails, they can be very imposing.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster