March 25, 2019, 07:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:      dance egg celebratestarsHappy Spring!! celebratestars    dance egg

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching from Ol' Roy  (Read 2347 times)
shadow94
Dog Addict!

« on: July 10, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »

I am adopting another dog tomorrow.  Kobe is an 11 month old brindle pitbull.  The poor thing has been raised on Ol' Roy.  His dull coat and large stinky poops sing it's praises!!!  I want to switch him to what I feel which is currently Taste of the Wild which is grain free kibble.  Would it be better to just switch him cold turkey or wean him off the Ol' Roy by combining the two.  I cringe at the though of giving him even one more ounce of it, but I don't want to deal with major stomach upset.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:39:09 PM »

When we got Minnie at age 4, she came with a big used bag of ol' Roy.
We pitched it in the dumpster.

I think at 11 months you shouldn't have a problem adapting to a new food. Pictures! and congrats!  Grin

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »

Personally, I'd consider mixing it for just a couple of days. Or alternately, mix your kibble with rice for a day or two.

I would not go buy any Ol Roy, but if they're giving you a few cups that's different. Whenever I bring a new dog in this house, my first goal is housetraining and decent poop. Then I worry about food after all that is stabilized.  

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »

How exciting.  funny dance  A new adopted fur butt. celebratestars

From years of reading.........the general rule of thumb is that switching from a lower grade to a higher grade food should not pose a problem. Just do the switch. Tummy troubles start when switching between lower grade brands and from higher to lower. If in the event, your new fur kid gets an upset tummy, you can back track and mix the Ol Roy in with the higher grade food.

I've been switching my foster dog, Bella, back and forth between Evo, Instinct, and Core which are all grain free. She has done very well. When I got her she was on Ol Roy or maybe Beneful........ick.  I also mix in some canned food from Evo or Wellness. She made the switch without any problems.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Fall is here! Trees are changing colors!

dawnk777
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »

Woohoo!  Congrats on new pup!  Can't wait to see pictures!  Would be interesting to see pics now, and pics in about a month after eating better food.

When we got Honey, she had a dull coat, too.  Only we fed her Iams, thinking that was okay.  Still, I don't think old lady was feeding her enough.  With more regular feedings and more regular brushings, Honey's coat was so purty!

Jasmine gets the benefit of our experience and got different food, when she all but refused to eat the iams!  LOL!  She is currently eating California Natural and has a pretty coat, too!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:59:43 AM »

Congrats on the new pup!!  I can't wait to see pictures!!!   Happy Yell

I would try just switching first and if theres a problem then go back to ole roy. 

Molly was on science diet when we got her from the shelter.  Actually she had very good poops and a good coat.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:01:55 PM »

I've had several trainees come in for work dogs and all were on crap food. I decided to fast them for 24 hours and then just start cold turkey on my higher quality food. I haven't had any problems doing that.  You might get a little gas or diarhea but most dogs adjust easily.  How exciting about the new dog Smiley!! We need updated pics on the puppy along with this guy, what's his name?

ETA: Nevermind, I missed the name the first read.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:04:01 PM by Kim H » Logged

megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »

Can't wait to meet the new guy.  Just make sure there aren't any stinky piles that I can step in.   blushthanks

Oh and by the way.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   woof

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »

bdsong and congrats on the new pup!  You gotten good advice so basically I have nothing to add.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »

Woohoo on the new pup adoption.  When we adopted Reggie I just gave him the food we had and bought him canned food to gain a little weight.  He has not had any problems at all.  He as at a good weight now and still doing good.  I think you should have good results with this dog too.
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 06:06:27 AM »

So, hows it going? 

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
shadow94
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  Unfortunately, I don't think I will need any of it afterall.  Kobe is not working out at all.  Yesterday was a nightmare.  WHen I took the dogs to meet on neutral territory (a baseball field), things went great.  But yesterday, Hunter got tired of being humped pretty quickly.  He started with the growling and snapping which escaladed.  In the beginning Kobe submitted, but would go right back to humping and eventually he got tired of being snapped at and the fights began.  I tried giving positive reinforcements when they were together and civil, but it is not going to work.  It escalates too quickly.  I spent the day yesterday playing musical dogs.  Bailey did really well with Kobe in the beginning, but now is tired of the humping too and starting to snap. I do not want to see what happens if he decides to snap back at her. She is only 15lbs!  So Kobe must go back, which I am upset about because he is really an awesome dog, but I guess my dogs don't agree.  I don't think neutering him at this point will work because he is already 10-11 months old.
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »

Neutering can still help, so don't discount that.

Have you considered letting someone else monitor the introductions? A trainer, or humane society worker?

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »

I can understand your fears and concerns.  I can also understand if you choose not to go with the adoption. 
I ws thinking the same as MM depending on your resources, there may be a way to work things out and I think neutering would be a must.  Reggie was neutered when I got him at a year and a half.  He has mellowed a lot as far as being a dominant poo and acts more and more like a puppy.  He has become more and more playful and happy.  I think neutering him and giving him a chance was the right thing for him.  BUT thankfully I did not have to deal with the aggression factors you are dealing with so keeping him in the home was not an issue.
I sure hope it works out for you and all the dogs on whatever works out best for you.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »

Sorry it's not working out.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 05:28:51 PM »

I just got back from grocery shopping at Walmart and for the first time I saw the Ol' Roy dogfood. eeek I am sure I have seen it before, just not ever paid any attention to it. 
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »

Sometimes no matter how badly we want things to turn out a certain way they don't. Sorry this doesn't seem to be one of those that will work. Neutering and training might help but that, to me, would seem like a commitment that is also a gamble.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster