April 24, 2014, 06:50:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adopt me for a dollar  (Read 1845 times)
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« on: June 04, 2009, 02:44:39 PM »

This is the latest idea of our AC. During June, all animals' adoption fees will be $1 (regular adoption fee is $50). I understand they want to have as many as possible adopted out but... I have very mixed-up feelings about this. On one hand, it gives the animals an extra chance not to be killed in the next few weeks but on the other one, it can condemn them to a whole life of misery, especially since the adoption procedure is "same day, no background checks". They already did "half price" and "adopt and get a fast-food gift certificate" types of things a couple of times in the past but this is going all the way out about pushing for impulse adoptions. However, some "$1 dogs and cats" could end up in great homes.

I am not sure at all I will go and help at the Petco adoptions during June. Any thoughts ?

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »

I don't like this at all.  I mean no background checks and adopting animals for $1.00?  Any sicko can come and get them and do whatever they want.

A smarter idea would have been $20 and a bag of food or whatever plus a background check.

I'm getting a very bad feeling with no background check.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »

The no background check is not new. I've never liked it much either. It is the combination of the two (one dollar and no check) that makes me really more uncomfortable this time.

On the other hand, if they are too short-handed, the dogs will have fewer opportunities to pee/poo/drink during their day at PetCo and have less chances to be able to be individually presented at lenght to interested people.

For the animals adopted at Petco with the help of the HS, I know that there is at least one follow-up call by the HS. When the adoptions are at the AC facility directly or at Petco without HS involvement, AC is supposed to take care of the follow-up calls. Don't know if this is done or not.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me at all. Will there at least be follow-up visits, or anything to ensure the animals are in good homes and being cared for?

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:45:33 PM »

Honestly, my experience with the SPCA, HS and the AC is they will adopt to anyone who has the fee and answers the questionnaire the way they want. When I volunteered at the SPCA years back, one person came to adopt. He filled out the app and answered all of the questions in such a way as the SPCA permitted the adoption without even calling to see if he had told the truth. He had to use three forms of payment to make the fee. Hello! If you have to use two credit cards and cash to meet a $120 fee then you obviously can't afford to care for that dog financially.  slaphead

I would rather see a $1.00 fee with rigorous screening than blindly handing over a dog just because someone could scrounge up the adoption fee. Having a miserly adoption fee without any screening is a crime.  enraged I would raise all kinds of hell over that.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »

Honestly, my experience with the SPCA, HS and the AC is they will adopt to anyone who has the fee and answers the questionnaire the way they want.
The only document I am aware of at AC is not a questionnaire/application, just an adoption form where people give their name, address, phone, DL# and initial a certain number of statements (e.g. agree to keep the animal according to ordinances, agree to return animal to AC if it does not work out, etc.).

If you have to use two credit cards and cash to meet a $120 fee then you obviously can't afford to care for that dog financially.
They only take cash from what I know. I agree with you, the adoption fee is nothing moneywise compared to what people should be willing and able to spend before they decide to adopt an animal. That's why bringing down the fee to $1.00 smells awfully bad to me. Oh, they are going to have more adoptions but good ones, no way to be sure with the flimsy procedure they use. At best a follow up call (no visit) within 2 to 3 weeks following the adoption, at worst nothing.

I would rather see a $1.00 fee with rigorous screening than blindly handing over a dog just because someone could scrounge up the adoption fee.

Once again, I agree. Screening, home visit, reference checks, a true application process would be so much better and help ensure that the adoption has a good chance of being successful (both from the animal and the adopter point of view).

Having a miserly adoption fee without any screening is a crime.  enraged I would raise all kinds of hell over that.

And that is where it becomes tricky and why I have a hard time deciding wether or not to go help with the off site adoptions in June. We are talking about a municipal facility that killed 7600 animals in 2008 (down from 8700 in 2007 and approximately 11000 in 2006 - I do not know the intake numbers but I estimate the killing rate going from around 80% down to around 60%). In January 2009, they killed on average 11 animals a day, down from two dozens daily in the previous years. That is a lot of dead animals and having more coercive adoption procedures would very probably reduce drastically the adoption numbers. So, of two things, which is the worse ? Giving more animals a quick and painless death while ensuring that the ones who are adopted have good homes or having more adopted out who could (or could not) have good homes ? I am no being contrary on purpose here; this is really the question with which I am struggling in this particular situation.

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:28:49 AM »

This still is giving me a very bad feeling.

I feel very scared for the animals that are going to get adopted at this event.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »

Nathalie~ I have struggled with this exact question over and over again... And my answer to myself is, it's better to have a home that may feed old roy, that may vaccinate every year and may not be the #1 home and be loved than be dead. I do everything in my power to educate people when they adopt and to help them see how to best care for their dogs. And truthfully I've been told by people the dog was to be an outdoor dog only and convinced them to get two then, and guide them to dogs that were raised outdoor anyway... It's food, safety and a friend... Better than death in my opinion.

Dogs don't understand that the dog next door is raw fed, titred not vaccinated, has the best medical care it possibly can. All it knows is the here and now, and if that is pleasant for them they don't care. I see TONS of dogs that aren't cared for the the absolute fullest extent available that are happy well adjusted and nice dogs.

The other option is for everyone who DOES care for their dogs in a manner which we are accustomed to needs to adopt approximately 78 more dogs... I'm well on my way I fear!  rotfl

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »

I do not agree with the only a dollar for adoption, I think that may bring some out of the wood works that do not care for the dog.  I would prefer to ask for a donation rather than just 1.00.  I too fear for the dogs future. 
As for the background check, I have not been thru a background check on any of my adoptions, and in some points of my life, if it was as extensive as some of the foster places do, I would be discouraged from  adopting. There are many times in my life I have been in the situation I have not been able to provide the best and to the fullest for my animals.  I am there right now with DH out of work and my horse costing me so much in vet bills over the last few months.  Every animal I have are still cared for, still loved and still in a good home. Although I cannot afford just an annual vet visit with any of the vets I have for any of my animals at this time, I do have emergency resources to help in pet emergencies if needed.
I know of a homeless guy, he is working selling newspapers, on the street islands.  He lives in a tent in the desert area. I only know this part since I rode my horse by his tent and it scared the poo out of me.  He was not there at the time, I just got scared because I did not expect to see a tent there.  At later times I had seen him there, that is how I found out it was his. I can gaurantee you, even though that dog may not have all the vet resources available to her, or even the best dog food, she is a well taken care of dog.  To her owner she is the best thing in his life and they are very happy together. She is spayed  They are both clean somehow and groomed.  I think he became homeless by falling on real tough times and took his dog with him to the streets. 
Some less financially wealthy people can still make great pet owners and provide very happy homes for their pets. 
I do hope the people adopting out the pets do some kind of screening of the potential adopters and do not just adopt to anyone who walks in with a dollar wanting a dog. 

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »

Its not the feeding ole roy or not vaccinating that worries me.  It's what they might have planned for the dogs.

Theres sick people out there.    This makes it easier on them to do their sick things.

I wish it were only the food i was worried about.  I'm worried about them being treated cruel or tortured.  In that case , being faced with that,  euth might be the better option.

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »

Actually for most fighters and bait dogs a dollar is to much... Also you have to fill out adoption paperwork. It's much easier to pick them up off the street or to get them free through the paper and craigslist.  huh? Or breed them themselves... Where do you think Michael Vicks dogs came from?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:51:35 PM by Hill » Logged

LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »

Its not the feeding ole roy or not vaccinating that worries me.  It's what they might have planned for the dogs.
Theres sick people out there.    This makes it easier on them to do their sick things.
I wish it were only the food i was worried about.  I'm worried about them being treated cruel or tortured.  In that case , being faced with that,  euth might be the better option.

See and I am more concerned about daily neglect than way out there cruelty. This is not to say that we never have horrible cases around here and that we don't have people who would think nothing about abusing dogs severely but, to my knowledge, they are not that numerous. Yes, there is still some dog fighting, yes there has been one recent case of a dog found hung in an abandoned house, one case of one left starving at another abandoned place, several cases of litters dumped here and there and, in the next parish (that has nothing, no AC, no HS, nothing) a rampant situation of dogs left to fend for themselves at the dump.

But the number of dogs involved in those cases is very very small compared to the numbers that are just neglected -and neglect can be a very passive problem - it is not people doing terrible things to the animals, it is people not doing basic things for the well-being of the animals. I would say that the biggest problems (those affecting the largest number of dogs who have a home) are : no heartworm prevention (this is not required by ordinance while flea prevention is which is not to say it is done), repeated pregnancies (the low cost speuter clinic that opened mid-2008 will hopefully help with that in the long term), no routine vet care (even though rabies is supposed to be done every year), some dogs chained/kept outdoors in poor conditions with very little human interaction. All things that either by themselves or combined can lead to a miserable life to the dogs; unhappy unhealthy lifes that are shortened but still several years long which is what worries me.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 10:30:44 PM »

Hill, for some reason, I think those of us who feed raw or choose to not vaccinate were slightly slapped by your post. Just MHO.

What a person feeds has nothing to do with how much they love their dogs....nor does vaccination...etc. Half the people in my family feed Dog Chow or Pedigree and love their dogs as much as I love Kiva and Kaden. People like me made the choices we did for many reasons.

The concern for me is that if you aren't willing to put down $50-100 to adopt then are you willing to even pay for those annual vaccines? All kinds of people will give away dogs either on street corners or with Green Sheet and Thrifty Nickel ads. Places like an AC, the SPCA, the HS, by their own charters and statements of ethics, obligate themselves to find the best homes for their adoptees to prevent them from re-entering the shelter system or worse. If someone wants a free dog, they can find one. Basically, this AC, by offering $1 adoptions, is not much better than sitting in front of K-Mart and handing out dogs to anyone who walks up. No one expects a shelter or AC to be as rigorous in adopting out dogs as a rescue would be but they have to have some standards. A $1.00 adoption fee is not much of a standard.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »

Layne, I understood it as Hill meant the dog in a home does not know how the other dog is living next door.  It does not know if the dog next store has it better or worse, the dog just knows how they live.  For instance my dogs have no idea if the dog next door is being treated any better than they are.  They have no idea if the dog next door is eating raw, premium dog food, table scraps or the cheap stuff.  Dogs do not think in those terms, they think about how they are living and how they feel.  AND like you said, a dog can be perfectly happy with cheap dog food that is not as healthy for them to eat, may or may not get vaccinated, may or may not have tons of toys and a bed.  That dog  can still have a happy life and have no idea some other dog is living better and healthier than they are.
I am sure my dogs would much prefer the care you give Kiva and Kaden, especially feeding raw and not vaccinating as often, but I am not telling them about your home.  I do not want them getting dressed up in cairn suits and go to your place trying to find a new home where they get the care you provide for them. Cheesy
I do think there are many different levels of care that a dog can live happy in.  We all have different standards, different ideas and different economic life styles and opportunities.  I think we all do our best to keep our dogs healthy and happy and we all love them very much.  We just may acheive it differently. 

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »

I don't think there is a right answer in this situation. I think all sides of the issue have been examined well and there are points to the positive or negative on either side of the issue. At the end of the day, whether you pay a $1 or $1000.00, I think all of us have to just hope that the dog lovers, like ourselves, will continue to rise up and do the best they can for the dogs that they can directly affect. Its discussions like this that make me realize we should be talking less and taking action more. If we don't like how groups do it, then we need to actively do it better.  I'd encourage you to go to the event because being there, whether you support the $1 cost or not, you could make a difference in the life of a dog by finding them the right home or helping a new owner be more educated or may be surprised by an opportunity that presents itself...

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »

Well said Kim!  You should get a gold star!

LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »

Kim and Hill,
I will keep in mind that beyond the adoption itself, there is also the opportunity to inform/educate the potential adopters and that it is an important aspect of participating in such events. When I went previously, I loved when people asked a lot of questions. The more the better because, even if they did not adopt that day, it meant they cared.

Janet & KL,
I understand where both of you are coming from with the available money aspect of the situation. I've never meant to imply that you needed to be "rich" (whatever the definition of this could be) to be allowed to have an animal; I'd say we all agree however that not thinking at all about the potential financial implications of owning an animal and acquiring one on impulse just because it is "on sale" is not a good idea. That's perhaps where the inform/educate aspect that Kim & Hill mentioned comes into play.

While we all love and care for the well-being of our animals, we do it slightly differently and that's allright because I know that we all, at the very least, fullfill the "Five Freedoms" (freedom from hunger and thirst, freedom from discomfort , freedom from pain, injury and disease, freedom to behave normally, freedom from fear and distress)
which for me are the basic definition of adequate care. From there, personal choices are limitless.

Jan & Terri,
I quite see why this makes you uncomfortable. Those terrible cases we hear or read about are gut-wrenching but I believe they are, fortunately, small in numbers... which does not make any of them less horrible.

I ended up not going today but thank you to all to gave arguments and counter-arguments. It gives me food for more thoughts. Thank goodness, I have a whole week... I really should stop that nasty thinking habit, lol. One thing is certain, I was way more sure about what I was thinking before I started to be (a teeny tiny little bit) involved in all this. There is ideal and there is reality and often they do not match.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »

There is ideal and there is reality and often they do not match.
  So true.

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »

Hill, for some reason, I think those of us who feed raw or choose to not vaccinate were slightly slapped by your post. Just MHO.

What a person feeds has nothing to do with how much they love their dogs....nor does vaccination...etc. Half the people in my family feed Dog Chow or Pedigree and love their dogs as much as I love Kiva and Kaden. People like me made the choices we did for many reasons.

The concern for me is that if you aren't willing to put down $50-100 to adopt then are you willing to even pay for those annual vaccines? All kinds of people will give away dogs either on street corners or with Green Sheet and Thrifty Nickel ads. Places like an AC, the SPCA, the HS, by their own charters and statements of ethics, obligate themselves to find the best homes for their adoptees to prevent them from re-entering the shelter system or worse. If someone wants a free dog, they can find one. Basically, this AC, by offering $1 adoptions, is not much better than sitting in front of K-Mart and handing out dogs to anyone who walks up. No one expects a shelter or AC to be as rigorous in adopting out dogs as a rescue would be but they have to have some standards. A $1.00 adoption fee is not much of a standard.

I guess I just slapped myself then... Lightly of course! Mine are titered and while fed a commercial food they do get RMB as a treat and for dental health.

What I am saying is that I understand that no matter what the "standard" of care most people do love their dogs. That is why I say I'd rather see them go to someone who maybe provides a lower standard of care,( ie feeds ol roy, and vaccinates for distemper 47 in ones every single year) then see them leave through the back door in a body bag. Those people who are there could easily go get a dog off the street corner. The fact of the matter is they are  adopting an animal from a shelter and to me that is a HUGE step in the proper direction.  huh?
Kim and Hill,
I will keep in mind that beyond the adoption itself, there is also the opportunity to inform/educate the potential adopters and that it is an important aspect of participating in such events. When I went previously, I loved when people asked a lot of questions. The more the better because, even if they did not adopt that day, it meant they cared.

It may also give them to opportunity to look and fall in love with a dog that may later be adopted. Or the next time a friend says hey I really want a golden retriever they may say Ooo such and such shelter has a really sweet one I met this weekend... That sort of thing. The effects of these adoption events can be long reaching!

There is ideal and there is reality and often they do not match.

I think this so rightly sums up how I feel!!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »

I like the 5 freedoms and yes, I agree with them.  I guess it got a lot of us thinking a bit.  It is all good.  Glad you figured out what was best for you to do. 

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:05:35 AM »

While we all love and care for the well-being of our animals, we do it slightly differently and that's allright because I know that we all, at the very least, fullfill the "Five Freedoms" (freedom from hunger and thirst, freedom from discomfort , freedom from pain, injury and disease, freedom to behave normally, freedom from fear and distress)
which for me are the basic definition of adequate care.

Bravo.  Bravo I think this should be like a charter statement on the home page....kind of like a core belief of what DA is about.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »

Good idea Layne.  

Now I want a home like that too for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster