December 15, 2018, 02:01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: grain help  (Read 1521 times)
Sally
Dog Addict!

« on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:26 AM »

For those that remember me  blush my dogs are fed raw 80% of the time (time constraints) and high quality kibble.  My guys get premade and dehydrated raw stuff on rotation for variety and when I cant do raw.

Tsuki recently had issues w/ her anal sac, what can I add to her food to help with that?  Suggestions?  My guys are not fond of veggies or grains, I do try to add non-meat based treats, but not easy.

Basically I want to add something healthy to their diet without adding crappy food for the grains.
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:09:40 AM »

Sally!!!

waving

It's been a long time!!  I'm so glad to see you!

I have the same problems with Molly ,  I have to have her anal glands done around once a month.  I hate it and i'm sure Mollys not so fond of it either.   Grin  Have you tried pumpkin?

I can't help you but i wanted to say  hello.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »

I would try pumpkin or oatmeal. Have you tried the dehydrated/premixes like Dr Harvey's or Grandma Lucy's? Both of those have small amounts of grains or potatoes.......my meat eaters don't mind either of them.

Hope you're doing well!

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »

Hi guys

i tried dr. harvey's but no joy. tried pumpkin no joy.

so is it upping the grains or the fiber?
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »

I would think it would be upping the fiber content.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking grains may be red flags, but fiber should be better.  Maybe raisin bran.  J/K.  I know there are some members here who can help you out.  I am not one of them since I try to keep things as simple as possible. huh?
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »

To be honest,  i've fed Molly pumpkin for a few years now every single day and she still has anal gland problems.  I think by now she has just lost the knack of being able to empty them herself.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »

Bulking up the stool with fiber would be most helpful, but no guarantee.  Try adding things like pumpkin seed (ground up), flax seed, pumpkin itself (if you can) and increasing the bone content.  Sweet potato can be a good one, too, if you can get them to eat it. 

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »

Ok, thanks guys.  My guys do not like pumpkin so I will try sweet potatoes.  And the seeds are a good idea.  I'm sure she will have no issues with increased bones.

I'm trying to not intervene so the she will be able to secrete on her own.  she shows no signs of discomfort until its hospital time and this was her first issue, hopefully there is time for a turn around.  I'm going to be more vigilant and I'm sure diet change wont hurt. 
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »

Chicken wings or feeding chicken backs is good. They will poop out a nice white, hard turd that will express those anal sacs.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:03:16 AM »

Chicken wings or feeding chicken backs is good. They will poop out a nice white, hard turd that will express those anal sacs.

I do add those and get those poops on a regular basis.  I just don't know what happened and it happened so quick.   Sad  Since I do not add veggies or grains to their diets other than the premade/kibble stuff, I was thinking it was from lack of fiber.  Otherwise she is extremely healthy and I do a full panel blood test every 2 years (extremely I know).  Sigh ....

thanks guys.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »

Personally, I would not go with grains. They are difficult to digest and can lead to other health problems. Making your own veggie slop with lots of pureed greens (collard, turnip, mustard, carrot tops, etc) will add fiber without the high glycemic input of grains. You can add some pureed roots veggies too like sweet potatoes, turnips, and parsnips. Add some chunks of meat to this and maybe a little canned salmon ( I use Wellness since it was made for dogs and has no salt) for taste and smell along with a little egg shell powder. You could feed this at night for dinner along with a chicken back so they will poop the next day. You could offer some of their usual food in the morning. But honestly, if they get chicken backs a few times per week, I would think that would be enough to express the glands.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 01:10:10 AM »

well my guys get fed once a day (they will not eat twice a day) and Corgi eats every other day.  pulling hair I was NOT blessed with food motivated dogs.

Can I use frozen veggies or does it need to be fresh?  Since my guys do not eat that much it would be easier for me to just grab some out of the bags and mix/pulp whatever the veggies, instead of running around buying variety of veggies. what ya guys think?

So if I remember correctly: no onions, potatoes and ???
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 11:58:43 PM »

Frozen veggies are fine. The freezing breaks down the cellulose so they don't get so gassy. Bravo makes a frozen veggie mix that comes in a long chub like a summer sausage. You could use that. Not having to make the veggie mix would save you time. The downside is that there is not much variety in the Bravo mix. I think there are only three veggies in it if I remember.

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »

Awesome!  Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster