March 25, 2019, 07:00:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:      dance egg celebratestarsHappy Spring!! celebratestars    dance egg

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you  (Read 1131 times)
janpo1
Global Moderator

« on: May 04, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »

What do you feed your dog and why?

I feed Molly Solid Gold barking at the moon because it has no grains and no glutens.  I've heard that's supposed to help dogs that seizure.  Not sure if it does or not , but i'm not willing to take her off of it to try the theory out.

Now Ginger, my last dog I fed Iams because i thought the food was so great and i was doing a good thing.  I didn't know until after she passed and i did some research that Iams dog food is not good and you're only paying for the name.

Poor Carmel~ my first dog.  I had no clue.  Honestly i didn't .  I was 19 yrs old at the time with a year old baby and carmel was my very first dog ever.  She was fed  Dads dog food and then I found out she adored Kibble N Bits so i fed her that.  Poor Carmel was so overweight that her belly almost touched the ground. But...she lived to be 14 yrs old and thats with epilepsy also.

I have to admit that with each dog i've become more aware and more smart on what i'm feeding them.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:00:40 PM »

That's what it's all about, Jan.  We learn as we go and give our pets the best we can.

Both George and Jillian are raw fed, with the occasional handful of kibble now and then just for the fun of it.  I feed as much variety as I can.
George was healthy from the day we adopted him, Jillian, not at all.  Jillian is who led us to feed our dogs raw.  No grains, no unnecessary ingredients and we have complete control over everything that our dogs consume (aside from the squirrels, birds, etc. that George likes to catch) and both of our dogs are thriving.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »

I am no dog food expert or human food expert.  I feed Canidae from suggestions here on DA.  Recently I have fed both wet and dry mixed.  Until DH gets a job, after tonight they will have to go back to dry for a bit.  I like to feed the wet too because it encourages the slow eaters like Reggie and Meakoe to eat their share and not let the fatter dogs like Shaggy and Odaat eat it.  I can only keep everyone separated for so long, so wet food helps.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »

I feed Minnie Canidae Chicken and Rice. It seems to work good for her so far, even with the changes that they made.

She came to us with a 25 LB bag of Old Roy..... which promptly went in the dumpster.

I do believe we learn as we go along. Ashamed to say I used to feed Drifter food that came with some plates, bowls and cups we could use for camping.  Roll Eyes  The reason why I bought the food.

Glad that there is so much of a bigger choice in feeding our pets now.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

Jan, that's interesting about Solid Gold.

My friend Karen ( RacineDogger) her little Rocky just had his first seizure Sunday morning. I'll have to mention that to her. I don't know if the pet store we get our food at carries it yet. Last time I checked, they didn't.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

After reading about Molly and the Solid Gold, I passed the info on to a coworker whose dog is epileptic. She has not had a single seizure in what I think will be two years. So, I think there is a link between grains and health problems dogs. Diabetes is rampant too which I think is linked to grain in foods.

Both of my dogs are on homemade raw diets. They get raw in the evening. For breakfast, they get a medallion of Nature's Variety raw lamb. Sometimes I use use a premium canned food for what is missing in their raw mix. I like the Wellness 100% Salmon and their whitefish canned. I also use Evo rabbit. They only get a tablespoon or so with a tablespoon of grain free kibble just to slow down digestion and let the supplements dissolve. The supplements I use are 100iu of vitamin e, 500mg of calcium ascorbate, a probiotic, and salmon oil and apple cider vinegar. For her connective tissue problems Kiva gets Ligaplex 2 and CoQ10 100mg along with Glycoflex 2 for small animals. Then there a various herbal extracts for pain and inflammation.

Before I started making my own food, I tried a lot of brands like Canidae, Back 2 Basics, Natural Balance but those were only for a very short time. The dog I had before Kiva was fed Eukanuba. You live and you learn.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 04:18:13 AM »

I think the Solid Gold Barking at the moon has helped with her seizures.  I mean who knows how close together they may be if she wasn't on it?  I'm glad were able to pass information along on here to help others out.  Now, its only the solid gold Barking at the moon that is grain and gluten free.  It's in the beautiful blue sparkly bag.  Don't i sound like a commercial?   Grin

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »

Jan, I will look for it in my area.  May feed it to just Scooby Doo.  You and my youngest can do an informercial together on solid gold Barking at the moon. Grin
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »

Ive been feeding Apache and Dakota the American Natural. The ingredients are similar to Canidae...but its cheap and made here in Wisconsin.
I had fed them a few bags of the Fromm..Large breed...had a couple of extra ingredients....but switched back. I give them pedigree canned food once in a great while.....I like to freeze it in their kongs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster