February 24, 2020, 06:33:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Puppy Classes  (Read 2109 times)
shadow94
Dog Addict!

« on: February 09, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »

I think I am going to have to enroll Bailey in a puppy class.  I really want to socialize her as much as possible.  I live in a more rural area and I think the only place I am going to have to go that has group classes will be PetsMart.  Does anyone have experience with these classes.  Any ideas how much they cost?
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »

Never used them, but I think some people here have.

Is there anything on their website that says anything about cost? Or you could call them, maybe prices vary for different areas.
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »

It's usually around 100$ for 6-8 classes. Just keep a close eye on the trainer and keep your training how you want it. Most of the trainers are taught by petsmart to have a certain way of training and not necessarily the best way. 

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »

For socializing, I think the classes are good if socialization is what you want. I see them going on all the time at our local Petsmart: they have every type and size and flavor of puppy you can imagine. Just taking your puppy to a dog park, Petsmart, or Petco is a good exercise in socialization. If you have friends or relatives with fairly well mannered pets, you can arrange play dates with them too. That is how I socialized Kiva to cats. She would go visit relatives with dog tolerant, declawed cats.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
A.J.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »

You can try getting in on a class at your local H.S. Adult Ed classes too!  I don't think they're too expensive!

I'd watch a training session in progress, before you bring Bailey...this way you can see if it's a place you'd want to bring him!

Good luck to you!   
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »

A long long time ago I went to thru the PetsMart training course with my old rottie Lucy.  I am glad I did it, because it was good for Lucy and I both and without a class I would not have done it as faithfully.  Having prior training experience with 4H and dogs I was not too impressed with the training instructor.  I used a combo of their methods and my own.  The trainer kept labeling Lucy as an aggressive one in the class and asked me to muzzle her.  The problem was not her, it was a German Shepherd that kept going after Lucy and Lucy reacted.  That GS eventually bit the trainer.  I thought it was ironically funny. Evil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster