April 21, 2018, 02:03:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What else?  (Read 5665 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: January 06, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »

I've been having some problems with the outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms. Like, the kitchen smelled on fire. So, yesterday on my day off the electrician came out to check them. It seems my house, built in 1970, has aluminum wiring (common for that time) but someone replaced all of the switches and outlets with ones designed for copper. The electrician fixed them but said I should have all of the switches and outlets checked. The one in the kitchen had catching fire what saved the place was that it was  a GFI socket and shut itself off.  eeek eeek eeek

I keep asking myself, what next with this house?  bang your head

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »

Ugh. Sorry buddy, welcome to home ownership!!!!!!

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »

Ah, yes, the joys of home ownership!  If it makes you feel any better, the place we live in is way old and we've had numerous issues like that to face.  No fun.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:53:08 AM »

Yikes! I'm glad you caught it before you had a fire. How scary!

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:26:16 PM »

phew  I'm glad you caught it in time!  Glad you're all safe!   big hug

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:03 PM »

I am so glad you caught it in time.  Our outlets we did not have any grounding on any of them.  We still have a few that are not.  My dad rewired most of our electrical outlets and put a new electrical box on the outside.  That is the best thing he could have done for us.  We were living in a fire hazard for sure and he was stressing more than me.  Since he is an electrician he knew how dangerous it really was.  I feel a lot safer now.  We still have other things needing to be fixed, but not as crucial as our electricity was.  I sure hope you are much safer now and your other home improvements are more fun.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:32:02 PM »

Well I did get some good news.  I went shopping for a new toilet for the master bath and the guy at Lowe's is a retired plumber and construction contractor. I told him the drama of the front bath with no toilet and the plumber said I would have to rip up the flooring. The Lowe's guys said the plumber was an idiot. My toilet measure 9 inches at mid flange but 10 inches at bolts. So, I have a 10 inch toilet.  Happy Yell  clapping  HI5 A 9 inch rough does not exist. The Lowe's guys said all houses are built at 12 inch rough ins but due to walls having to be moved, some become 14 or 10 inch. No builder would construct a bathroom with a 9 inch rough in or he would have to move the wall again or rip up the floor. So, he said buy a 10 inch rough in toilet with a standard 2 7/8 inch flush and I should be alright.

So, within a month, I will have two new toilets.  funny dance

It's a guy thing. blush

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »

rotfl  No, Layne.  I think we can all agree that toilets are important!

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »

Yep Layne, they are important.  Glad you got your two new toilets. Happy Yell  When we remodeled my bathroom I got a new toilet in my main bathroom. The old one still worked, but was very old.  I let my son take a hammer to it and destroy it before taking it to the dump.  I got cut on it and he was fine. huh? 
Glad you got the right info too.  I guess 2nd opinions really count huh?
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:51:17 PM »

When I remodeled my master bath I got one of those high pressure toilets that uses compressed air or something like that. Great till it wears out, after about 7 years. Then everything has to be special ordered to replace. I have a plumber who I trust and asked his advice, he recommended Toto toilets. I became obsessed with toilets and went online researching. Very serious stuff but actually pretty funny. I would pass on research studies to my staff at work, they thought I had lost my mind I'm sure. The Japanese take toilets very seriously, read some funny articles on Americans trying to figure out how to use the ultra fancy toilets in Japan. I did end up getting a Toto, just one of the run of the mill ones though, not the several thousand dollars computerized ones they have. I have to say, it is a great toilet.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

I've been lusting after a Toto!  luvsmile

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Nancy Adams
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »

When we remodeled our bathroom, we got a toto.  I thought we were crazy to spend so much on a toilet, but now I think it was well worth the $.  I will walk to the other side of the house to use that bathroom!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »

I've been wanting a Toto for a long time but man they are expensive. Right now I am buying the top of the line from American Standard. In a few years when I have my bathrooms professionally remodeled, I hope to get a Toto. I want one of those one piece units.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »

spews  ok.. that sounded a little strange....  Cheesy

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »

I think we may have to start a I lust for Toto Toilets support group. huh?
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »

Janet, do some research and visit a show room. You'll be a Toto junkie too.  believe

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:08 PM »

spews  ok.. that sounded a little strange....  Cheesy

rotfl It's a term I've used for years. My dad always liked to make fun with it. It goes back about 35 years, when a military interpreter for the president told the Russians that the president lusted after them. Anybody else old enough to remember that?

My dad figured that after that, it would be a good thing for me to go to Duke and major in Russian.

Oh well!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 11:14:43 PM »

Check out this one... http://www.performancetoilets.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5649
TOTO Washlet S400 Combo with Ultramax Elongated ADA Toilet MW854564SLA

Automatic open/close lid activated by sensors, or the simple touch of a button on the remote control
Auto flush activated by sensors or the simple touch of a button
Gentle Aerated, Warm Water, Dual Action Spray with cycling movement and massage feature
Adjustable water temperature and volume
Warm air drying with three variable temperature settings
Automatic air purifier
SoftClose anti-bacterial seat 
Heated Seat with Temperature Control
Docking Station Easy to Install and Clean

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »

oh please....... eeek .... did you see the price of that thing?

As long as it flushes.. I'm good. I don't want to spend anymore time in the bathroom than necessary.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »

The toilet seat is heated... grinsno
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:32 PM »

The one I'm lusting after has a seat that raises itself when you enter the room, and lowers itself when you leave.

celebratestars

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »

for $1800 I'll put up with a cold seat. Have they never heard of HEAT in the bathroom?  Snolaugh

Oh gosh MM.......  I could go with the lowering after you leave ( that's nice!)

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »

Totos are addicting. They're the Rolls Royce of crappers.  }shksno{

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »

The one I'm lusting after has a seat that raises itself when you enter the room, and lowers itself when you leave.

celebratestars
Wow, I have my boys trained to do that when they go to the restroom... I wonder if I can hire them out for 1800.00
A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 12:02:35 AM »

That is an expensive way for you to.......well you know!

While at the "Last Comic Standing" Show, one of the comedians did a skit on a bidette!  It was hysterical!  rotfl

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster