December 15, 2018, 02:37:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit the Bullet  (Read 1380 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: December 14, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »

I've been feeding Nature's Variety premade raw for a couple of months to see how I would like it. I wasn't happy at all. It had the consistency of tooth paste when it was warmed up and hardly any variety even switching between the various proteins  (lamb, chicken, beef, and rabbit). Kiva's and Kaden's coat is dull. An hour after eating, I could hear their stomachs growling. So, I added a small amount of premium grain free kibble to make the food have more substance...........but it didn't help much.

So this weekend while I was off, I bit the bullet and made my own food. All I can say is wow. What a difference. Mine is so thick.  Premade foods are fine in a pinch but they just don't compare to the love and effort of making food at home. It took two days. One to hunt down the ingredients and to prepare the meat and bone and veggies slop and one day to grind and mix it and bag it. But time well spent.

I used 18lb of free range, veggie fed chickens. 9lb of raw rabbit. 2lb of chicken necks. 2lb of chicken backs. 6lb of duck wings. 3lb of duck leg quarters. 4lb of Green Tripe beef organ blend. 1lb each of turnips and ground pecans. 1lb of carrots. 2 bunches each of collard greens and parsley. 1 bunch of mustard greens. 12oz of blueberries. 6oz of black berries. One apple, kiwi, pear, and mango. 12oz of ground flax seed. .5 cups of raw apple cider vinegar. 4 bulbs of garlic.

Kaden went to bed and still asleep. Kiva played for a while and is sleeping next to me so contented.

I've been making homemade raw food for almost a decade now. If you have questions...........just shoot me a PM. There aint nothing better than homemade.  xmas1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »

I've been doing my own 10-15 lb concoction every weekend, that lasts till Tues or Wed (depending on whether Harry eats it or not!). I'm like you, the dogs seem to love it so much more, and do seem much more content. Mine isn't nearly as complex as yours, but I'm also still using Primal and Aunt Jeni's the rest of the week.

This week ours is comprised of 4 lb of ground quail frames, 2 lbs ground venison, 1 lb salmon, 2 lbs ground green beans, kale and squash, Dr Harvey's premix, Europa grain free premix, and bee pollen. It works raw for 4 dogs and can be seared quickly for the fifth.

Yours sound better!

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »

Wow! Sounds like you both have some very well fed dogs!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 12:06:29 AM »

MM, you reminded me I forgot the yellow summer squash I added.  blush

When you use salmon are you using canned, frozen, raw? I would love to grind up some fresh salmon for them in their next batch of food. A good batch of rabbit and salmon would fit nicely into Kiva's regimen of Traditional Chinese Medicine.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »

Frozen ground raw. It comes from Oma's Pride. But I've also used "belly trim" which looks just like a filet, but it's the fattier underside part.

Canned would probably work just fine. I figure by adding the salmon, I don't need salmon oil.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:02:24 AM »

I've been using the canned salmon by Wellness for breakfast. They get one ounce each and love it. The Wellness brand doesn't have added salt that canned salmon for humans has.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:01 AM »

I'd just throw a can or two of that in, if you have easy access to it.

I'm am really impressed with some of the canned products on the market right now. They are so sophisticated, so easy to use, and so easy to add into a raw feeding rotation.

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

We give fresh salmon here.  Raw.  Usually we grind it up, but not always. 

These days, my two have been getting primarily pork, rabbit and salmon.  Venison is thrown in quite frequently, as is tripe, but I have a hard time getting anything other than fresh beef tripe and Jillian has a hard time with beef.  Lots of lamb heart, too.  They just love lamb heart.  I have a bunch of lamb bones coming, too. 

Once in a while I'll give canned tripe.  You're right, MM, there are some really nice canned products on the market now. 

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »

Molly loves Solid golds canned tripe.  Me?  Not so much. 

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:56 PM »

I've really liked the canned meats that are 95% and higher like Evo and Wellness. I want to try more of the Evanger's line but can only get it mail order. For fun, I've tried the Spots Stew and Homestyle canned foods by Nature's Variety (makers of Evo and Innova). The canned meats for dogs have far fewer additives so I feel good feeding them for breakfast or for a break from the normal raw diet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster