October 17, 2017, 08:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scout skin issues(warning:revealing photos posted)  (Read 2022 times)
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« on: December 08, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »

Ok, so Scout a few months ago developed some redness on his lower belly. It didn't seem to bother him. He doesn't lick it or bite at it. I thought maybe it was a reaction to the colder weather since he has virutally no hair there. So I have just kept an eye on it. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. And it looks like some of his skin is flaking off. And it seems a little sensitive to touch. Its so hard to really tell if something is hurting him, he's very good at hiding pain. I just wondered if anyone know what it might be? I'll probably give his vet a call tomorrow.

* Scout belly 010 copy.jpg (98.88 KB, 600x399 - viewed 210 times.)

* Scout belly 007 copy.jpg (97.57 KB, 600x399 - viewed 189 times.)

louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »

if he was human I would say it looks like a yeast infection

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

Moist Epidermis ?   [hot spot]   where the skin stays moist and does not heal very well.  The way we treat it
is to shave the hair and antibiotics.  But it don't look like Scout has much hair there so that is probably NOT it.
  It just looks like Chopper's after it is shaved..  Doc.. huh?

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 07:44:13 PM »

Poor guy! Almost looks like an allergic reaction to something.

ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »

I know Terri, I was thinking that too. I had made him a new bed around the time it appeared, so I washed it. Maybe I should just take it away and see if it gets better.  Other than that, nothing has really changed. He's eating the same food, no new detergents or shampoos when I give him a bath. I sent the pictures to his breeder to see what she might have to add. MAybe its a typical weimaraner thing that they get that I just don't know about. Plus she is very much into alternative holistic medicine and may have some herbal remedies to suggest.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

Puppy dermatitis, without the pimples. Like hot spots. Kord gets like that, right before his yeast infections break out.

But, I'd say the new bed sounds like the likely culprit. Wash the bed and sprinkle some Gold Bond powder on him.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »

thanks mmgy. I will pick up some gold bond. I think I will take away the bed(since I already washed it and it didn't make a difference).

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

Poor Scout!   rubhead hug  I hope it clears up soon!

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:38:06 PM »

The way we treat it
is to shave the hair and antibiotics.  Doc.. huh?
Hey Doc, I was wondering why you would have to shave the antibiotics? huh? grinsno

Emily I was thinking an allergic reaction to something.  My dog Whiskey that you did the painting of, she use to get rashes similar to that from grass.  So, the bed may sure be the culprit.  If you get antibiotics too, you may want to double check with the vet if they need to be shaved. xmaslol
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »

Ok, so I sent the photos to his breeder. She said that it looks and sounds like duck itch to her. I did start taking him to a new swimming hole around the time it appeared. Not entirely sure what duck itch is, but I assume that it might have something to do with swimming in ponds where duck swim/eat/poop. I have a 230 appt today with Scout, so I will get some answers!

Doubtful he will need to be shaved there, not much hair if any at all there. lol Poor dog!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »

I've never heard of that either. Must be something like swimmer's itch?

ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »

Yeah, I think its another name for swimmer's itch. I just looked it up. Anyhow, that's not what he has. The vet thinks its a superficial staff infection. So he's on antibiotics for 10 days and a medicated shampoo. He gets 2 baths a week for the next 3 weeks. Poor dog!

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »

awww poor Scout.   kiss

Molly would love the 2 baths a week!!! woof

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 04:48:42 PM »

Poor Scout! Minnie would HATE the bath part!

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »

rubhead hug  Poor Scout!  Hope he heals real quick! 

Cana would love the bath!  Doesn't like the pool, but loves a bath!   woof

www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »

Scout is very good about it though. He will hop in the tub for me. I guess he got sick of me "helping" him in the tub. Definitely an awkward experience trying to shove an 85 lb. dog in a bathtub! He's going to think I've gone nuts when I start bathing him twice a week. He gets his first bath tomorrow morning!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:20:52 PM »

Well at least you know now and you can it is being treated.  When I have to give Xena a bath, it takes two adults to get her in the tub and 2-3 of us to keep her there. eeek  Getting her out of the tub is the easiest part. 
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 02:30:57 PM »

Well first bath down, only 5 more to go. He actually is really good about getting in the tub. I just know he doesn't like it and I feel bad for him. I felt especially bad since the shampoo has to sit on his skin for 10 minutes. But he is super soft now and his belly looks less red chbuds Of course I decided to further torture him by clipping his nails. He's probably had more than enough of me for one day!? lol

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »

I'm glad he's less red!   rubhead hug  Poor Scout!  Mom you're so mean!  snowink

www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »

I hope you do not clip his nails for every bath. eeek xmaslol
That reminds me of last night, my dad had me take Spot out to clean his wound where he was kicked a few days ago.  He got kicked in the side of his gut. OUCH!  The gross part, the piece of skin and hair still hanging on had dried up and I was putting off cleaning it up. who knows  I warmed up water to clean Spot's wound and got it too hot.  Instead of cooling it down with cooler water, I did anything and everything to put off cleaning his wound.  I groomed him super well, I wormed him, cleaned his sheath, cleaned his hooves and oiled them, walked him some and when my dad yelled to me to get it done already I finally went back to clean up his wound.  It cleaned up easier than I expected thankfully.  So, yesterday poor Spot got his ya know what cleaned, he got wormed, and fully groomed when all he came out for was a wound cleaning. grinsno  I should have brushed his teeth too. 
That's it Emily, instead of clipping nails next time, brush Scout's teeth. grinsno
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:38:00 PM by Angel-Dancer » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster