December 17, 2017, 05:58:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Santa wave       xmasscene       Santa wave

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: parvo  (Read 1467 times)
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« on: December 08, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

I met a friend of a friend this summer, who has a pregnant 18 year old daughter, who with her boyfriend had just gotten a pit bull puppy. I spent most of that night explaining to her why she shouldn't be afraid of that puppy, and why it would be a good companion for her future grandchild.

Fast forward. She called a few minutes ago, and said the pup has parvo. They have no money. The vet suggested pedialyte. Based on some reading and information I have done very quickly, we're going to add vitamin C, a viral detox, and now I'm trying to find out what antibiotic gets used with parvo. Do any of you know? Is amoxicillin okay?

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »

I don't know, MM.  I don't have any experience with Parvo, but, like with any virus, I'd be hesitant to give an antibiotic for a viral infection.  Have you looked at ParvAid, or something like that? 

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »

The antibiotics are to keep away any bacterial infection that could take hold while the immune system is depressed. Almost every protocol I've found has supported their use.

I've read several opinions lately that Parvaid isn't "all that." Plus, it isn't here today, and it's not inexpensive, relatively speaking. About $80-100 to get it here overnight.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »

Wow, that is pretty expensive.  I've only heard good things about it, never looked at it.

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »

we give amoxi, pedialyte, pepcid. Lots of fluids as long as he's not vomiting!

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »

He isn't vomiting today....they are starting the vit C, viral d'tox, and amoxicillin tonight, so hopefully he'll pull through. The girl is at 37 wks and has spent the day bleaching everything in the house.

I'll try to get an update in the morning. thanks, all!

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:39 PM »

Sorry for the short response earlier... I was on my phone at work posting!  thud

As long as he isn't vomiting she needs to REALLY push the fluids in very small amounts. 1 ounce per pound of body weight is the normal maintenance intake. So if he's 30 pounds he needs 30 ounces or basically 4 cups of fluid per day at a minimum given like 1/4 cup at a time so as not to disturb the stomach and make him vomit.

If he's had ANY vaccines he has a better chance at making it, but he's got that he's a pit bull against him... Pits Rots and dobes for some reason all get hit worse than any other breed. Ask any vet they will tell you it's true.  huh?

Bleaching won't really help anything though at this point so tell her to focus her energy on nursing the dog. He's already been exposed so if he pulls through he'll probably never get it again... Until it mutates again which is why we are seeing so much of it lately!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

but he's got that he's a pit bull against him... Pits Rots and dobes for some reason all get hit worse than any other breed. Ask any vet they will tell you it's true.  huh?

I read something similar to that earlier today. I wonder why.

Apparently he had his first shots, and hasn't had any since. She also told me he ate some canned food today along with a liter--I think--of pedialyte. I suggested that she give him a little more tonight to get the vit c and d'tox in him.

Thanks Hill!

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:21:59 PM »

If he manages to hold all that down I'd say he's past the brink and well around the corner! Will be anxious to hear the update in the am!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »

I knew a dog who had parvo and survived.  He had IV under his skin over night and thru out the week.  Keeping them hydrated definitely seemed to be the key.  Hope this one pulls thru.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster