February 28, 2020, 01:51:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roy is looking for advice...  (Read 1578 times)
MecheleP
Dog Addict!

« on: August 16, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »

On Crate Training.....Can we all chime in and give him advice......Thanks a million...I'll show it to him when we are all done... wink2 Ya' would be so proud of him, he is so good with her ...Makes me so proud 

ETA : Also If there is anything that you would like to say to a young 1st time pet owner please chime in...He has been around animals alot with my gang but to be totally responsiable is his first time
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:15:14 PM by puppyluvs_1 » Logged

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »

I've never crate trained, so I'm no help, sorry.

I'll move this to the Training section, might get more notice there
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:26:03 PM »

The crate should be large enough for Teetree to stand up, lie down, and turn around in. Put comfy bedding in there. Get her used to it by putting treats into it and encouraging her to enter. You can give her her meals in the crate too as well as her chew bones. Basically, you want to associate as much positivity with the crate as you can until she learns the crate is her safe place. Before long, she will want to take naps in there without encouragement. Never use the crate as a means of punishment.

I always kept the crate in the area where the humans were at and placed it by my bed at night. Until she is old enough to hold her pee, Roy will have to make sure he monitors her crate time. A puppy should be able to hold it's water one hour for each month old plus one. So, a four month old puppy should be able to hold it's water comfortably for 5 hours with normal water intake. Which reminds, pick a time in the evening to take up the water so Teetree won't have to go so much during the night.

That's about it. Kaden loves his crate more than anything. He eats his meals in there, has his raw bones in the crate, and is the first place he goes when he is sleepy or it's thundering.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
MecheleP
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

Thanks Layne,
Anything you guys can tell him is great and very beneficial for him and it is not coming from Mom so he will not feel like Mom is trying to tell him how to raise his puppy  Grin wink2 Thanks again 

Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »

We start all our pups off sleeping in the crate at night. The first thing they always do at this new, strange experience is drive everyone in the house crazy by...

WHINING!!

As long as puppy has been potty before going into the crate and hasn't had any water or food that might cause her to need to go again, don't give in! Tell him to stick the pillow over his head and bear it for the first few nights and then Teetree will learn to sleep peacefully in her little space. (This presuming he crates her at night.)

Also, if he plans to crate her when he goes places, a good thing to do might be to periodically leave her in the crate with a bone for five or ten minutes at a time so that she learns that he is always coming back.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
MecheleP
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 02:18:40 PM »

Thanks so much and BTW I just noticed the --->>>>Christ-following dog-lover with purple hair  rotfl That's cute  wink2

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster