December 15, 2018, 02:11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Honey in Nature's Variety  (Read 1729 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: June 14, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »

I was reading the ingredient list on Nature's Variety tonight and noticed it contains honey. There is no discussion on the package as to what type of honey is being used so I assume it's just regular processed honey rather than raw unfiltered honey. Am I safe to assume that honey is being used in place of molasses to sweeten the food and make it more pallitable?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 10:23:53 PM »

How far down the list is it?

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »

It is first.  Just kidding, I do not even have a label to read.

On a website, I found these ingredients for the Chicken Formula
Fresh & Healthy Ingredients
Chicken, Raw Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Heart, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseed, Chicken Eggs, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove

I dunno where Honey is in each flavor, but this is an idea of how far down the list it may be.

Here is the site link if it helps you get any more info you may need Layne...
http://www.naturesvariety.com/index.lasso?r=2347743&-session=naturesvariety:48D060140efe03930Almk1C16550
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:24:25 AM »

The ingredient list for the rabbit is the same after you get by the protein sources.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:10:40 AM »

Honey does contain calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and an array of amino acids.  Perhaps they include it for some of those properties, but, I can't imagine they'd use enough honey to really be using it as a significant nutritional contributor.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »

Raw honey has a lot nutritional value. I love it. But considering how clandestine AAFCO definitions can be, it makes me suspicious.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:35:04 AM »

I tend to believe in general, that it is NV's philosophy to throw everything in there they possibly can, to appeal to the whims of the health-minded yuppy buying the bag! I've always gotten a good chuckle from all those eggs.....I mean really, what are you getting, 1/1000th of a quail egg?

Break it down...if it's 95% meat,then all those other ingredients only make up 5%. I would venture that "apples through spinach" are 3%, and everything else makes up the remaining 2%.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »

I agree with that, MM! 

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »

I thought persimmons were an odd ingredient.  head scratch We used to eat them as kids to make us pucker up.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »

We did too!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster