February 28, 2020, 12:42:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big progress for the Dog Who Couldn't Play!...  (Read 1603 times)
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« on: May 26, 2008, 08:25:28 PM »

a.k.a. Kahaus

Okay, long story short, for dogs with no retrieve instinct, you have to teach them the formal retrieve backwards. You start with taking an object and dropping it into your hand, then you move onto holding the object for longer periods of time, then to picking the object up off the ground, then to going to the object when it is some distance away and picking it up off the ground. Eventually, all these elements form a formal retrieve. The total picture of the final product is that you have the dog sitting in heel position as you throw the object. You then release the dog to go to it, pick it up, carry it back, sit in a front position, drop it into your hand, and then finish (go back to the heel position).

Kahaus is one of the dogs with zilch retrieve instinct. He also seems to not really no how to play. No tug-o-war, no retrieve, no goofy zoomies, nuthin'. He'll play lightly with me (running after me, wagging his tail at my silly antics, etc.) and a little bit more with other Berners that he knows well (pretty much just ones he lives with; Shelby, before she died, and Lucy now) but otherwise he's rather austere -- not playful.

So, anyway, we'd been working on the backwards retrieve training. Training is not high on my list of daily priorities during the school year, so training has been sporadic, but he'd been getting the hang of holding onto an object pretty well (and, of course, giving it back in a matter of seconds). Well recently he;s been holding onto things longer. Today he actually held onto a rope toy that I gave him and walked into the living room with it while I was working with him. Doesn't sound like such a big deal, but for Mr. I-Can't-Play-and-You'd-be-Hard-Pressed-to-Get-Me-to-Hold-Anything-Very-Long, it was a big deal! Yaya!

God bless you all,
Lissa

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »

Glad he's having fun and learning to play.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »

clapping YAY Kahaus! 
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »

That's great. When you get the gumption up.......wanna try and train to terriers?  Evil  rotfl

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
A.J.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »

clapping  That's great!
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:28:14 PM »

Cool!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:57 AM »

I figure I'm probably going to have a few Cairns to train if my Grandma seriously gets into them while I live there. She says she wants to show Abby, but somehow I can't see her doing that unless either I train her and show her or she really sets aside some time each week to work with her (for a long time she was the sole breadwinner of the house, so she would come home too tired to work with the dogs for showing and she hasn't done it in a long time.) Plus I can't really see her getting a full kennel like she used to have. She's too fed up with the show ring politics and she's getting too old and stressed to deal with a bunch of dogs. More likely it will just be four or five at a time and they will be mostly indoor dogs who only get bred very infrequently. That's just my guess, though.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »

YAY!  I am glad he is making progress. Kahaus, you are doing awesome. Happy Yell
Good work Lissa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster