February 28, 2020, 01:35:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Starts Boris training class  (Read 2840 times)
phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« on: April 22, 2008, 06:47:45 AM »

We went to class (People only)  We were told what we would learn, focus mostly on walking well on leash, with sit, stay, down, the basics.  She is telling us we will learn to put our dogs on their backs, as my eyes went wide, I had already toldher Boris was over 110 lbs, she looks at me and says well you might not be able to, but you(pointing to BF will), I had to laugh he is not much into making dogs mind.

After class BF scolds me he said I scared the beejezus out of the other people when I was talking about Boris be under 10 months old and already over 110 lbs.  other owners were asking if maybe they were in the wrong class cause their dogs were only 40 lbs. eeek  This class if called Teen Titans for dogs over 6 months old and 40 lbs and above.  The instructor kept assuring everyone we would all be fine, she is the one that scared them, cause she was saying IF she felt it was safe the dogs would get some free play time, and all these other people could imagine was some HUGE monster bowling their little babies over.

I think they will calm down after they meet Boris, who is just a very large puppy, yes he is big, but he is still just a puppy and still acts like one.  We have been practicing walking him this week to at least get a head start on some leash training, we dont normally do alot of walking cause we have a big back yard for exercise, but we are started some walks, it is good for all of us.  Last night I had Natasha &  Rocky and he had Boris, the neighbors were watching us as we walked around with 3 dogs all over 110 lbs.  Natasha and Rocky both walked liked little angles,like they had been doing it all their lives,  I was really impressed with them. luvsmile

Sorry this was so long hope I did not bore you. Grin
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »

I have been thinking Merle might do well with training. I wouldn't worry about your other class members, I'm sure everyone will love Boris!!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:20:45 AM »

When is his first class? I can't wait to hear how it goes.
phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:43:07 AM »

Our first class with Boris is this Sunday, I think it will be very interesting to say the least.   wink2

I will let you know how it goes.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »

How funny the other people were scared about Boris being so large.  I would not even be worried if I had Scooby Doo, our 6 lb chi in the class.  If Boris and Scooby were together, Boris would more than likely be gentle with a smaller dog understanding their size.  At least that is my experience with large and small dogs. huh?
Boris will be a star in the class.
I am always impressed with this lady who walks 3 large german shepherds by herself every evening in the area I ride Spot.  Even Spot and I are in their sight, they stay calm and focused on her.  It is quite impressive to watch her walk her beauties.
With your large dogs I can only imagine how cool it would look.  How awesome.
phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »

OK we had the first class with the dogs........of course as expected they all wanted the other dogs, she told us it was OK to let them sniff if we felt comfortable with it, they all stayed on leashes and under control.

YES to the big question, Boris was the biggest one.  huh?  He was very excited I thought he did pretty good but BF said he was disappointed cause he was pulling so hard and barking to get to the other dogs, I told him he's a puppy for crimeny sakes and of course he wants to go and see everybody.  Rocky had spoiled him cause when we took him to class like I told you before he would just lay down and sleep while the instructor talked, so I really think he was thinking that was what Boris would do....no way Boris is normal..Rocky was not..Duh kick

There were alot of Lab mixes, all smaller than Boris, but there was a Lab/Beagle mix not to far behind him, he was adorable.  There is a purebred GS and a Golden Retriever, they were both beautiful, and there was a Boarder Collie the poor thing was scared to death.

We mostly worked on massage and getting the dogs use to touching all parts of the body, Boris is used to all that so we had no problems, when we had to walk around the room, we did 2 handed walk holding them tight and a brisk walk to keep them focused, I think he did very good, BF chickened out and made me walk him, but he did take the walk with him before we left the room when alot of the other dogs had already left. 

Looking forward to next weeks class I think each one will get a little better.  I will try to get some new pictures of Boris posted so you can all see just how big he has gotten!!! eeek 
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »

I'm glad he did fairly good!  Looking forward to the pictures.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »

Definitely looking forward to pics.  Glad you have a good understanding of Boris' behavior and know he will get better in time and work.   He may just be one of the top dogs by the end of the class.
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

I'm glad your guys' class went so well! I would really like to get involved in some sort of obedience class with Kahaus once I move out, as I haven't had much time for him during high school or the money to do classes. Sad

Yeah, I think things will get better as you go along. Classes never seem to last quite long enough, IMO.

Slightly OT: I saw a cute vid on Dogster of a guy who was in a clicker training class and he taught his little dog to jump into his arms for kisses. The dog (I think it was a min pin or something) jumped like twice its height. Shocked

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »

Glad your classes are going well!!

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Can't wait to hear how the classes progress with your BIG baby  Grin

phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:05:19 PM »

Well, I will admit my neck and , but shoulders were sore and still are a little!! blush

He will get better as we keep up the work..Thank you to everybody for the encouragement. blushthanks
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 12:05:58 AM »

YAY!!!  You are getting a work out and Boris is having a great time.
phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 06:47:24 AM »

Well we have been to 2 more classes, I think Boris is getting better and a little easier to handle, he settles down a lot faster now.  Problem is he has lost interest in the treats I take for him.

Next week I am taking the secret weapon....Chicken & Apple Treats from Auntie Gail!!!!! Evil

Let's see him say no to those, they are already just the right size for reward treats, I cant take the Doggie crack cause I cant break those up the and the other ones are perfect size.  So next week I'm taking them to see if he cant stay interested enough to keep going through the whole class.  This past week he would lay down, and I would show him a treat and he just ignored me poke

Yep I think I got the answer Chicken & Apple, he thinks he's got me, but I will win!!!! blushthanks Gail!!!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:48:58 AM by phbeardog » Logged
A.J.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »

clapping Yeah Boris!  So glad he's doing better!
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »

Good luck!
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »

Not interested in treats? eeek  Wow does Boris have you trained well. rotfl

When I did training with my dogs I used lots and lots of praise.  My dogs responded well to that.  I have also seen a treat being a tennis ball or a favorite toy.  Maybe if the treats do not work, something like that will. huh?  Now the doggie crack, if you get it small enough, I cannot imagine that not working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster